PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is computer tired?

fyplinux
March 18th, 2008, 08:47 PM
A problem suddenly appeared with my program.

Ok, I have to fix it. Some hours later, the problem was still. em...then I decided to take a rest, so I logged out the system.

After the rest, when I came back that problem suddenly disappeared. did I have a wrong vision of my program once before? was the computer tired that it cannot run my program smoothly? or did god help me?

or originally, the computer is unstable? or my program was wrong? but I run the program under the same condition. By the way, It's a C program, compiled by GCC.

tlink
March 18th, 2008, 08:50 PM
God proofs your code while you sleep. Its a little known fact.

Wybiral
March 18th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Could you post some of this "holy" code?

aks44
March 18th, 2008, 09:03 PM
If your program is multithreaded, you can rest assured that the bug didn't disappear magically, it's still lying around...

BTW: Gods don't bother with C programs...
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/lisp.jpg

LaRoza
March 18th, 2008, 09:18 PM

http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/dna.html

I have evidence to the contrary.

fyplinux
March 18th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Could you post some of this "holy" code?

the code base are now boo big to be posted, so I cannot show any holy.

Basically, It's a part of network connection via socket, both PF_UNIX and PF_INET are used.

If your program is multithreaded, you can rest assured that the bug didn't disappear magically, it's still lying around...

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/lisp.jpg

It is not multi-threaded.

I am worrying about that it will appear again, So I keep on running the program, god told me, it would never appear again.

LaRoza
March 18th, 2008, 09:24 PM
the code base are now boo big to be posted, so I cannot show any holy.

It's a part of network connection via the local socket.

Could it be a network issue?

fyplinux
March 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM
When I was finding and fixing the bug, the local socket is used Only.

LaRoza
March 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I am worrying about that it will appear again, So I keep on running the program, god told me, it would never appear again.

I would be most worried if it doesn't appear again. Randomness is evil (although MS gets away with it...)

fyplinux
March 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Do you know have any good experience on debugging C? or some good tutorial on debugging?

I began to program in C about 3 months ago, and I have written more than 10000 lines of code including comments till now.

I debug (from high priority to low priority):
by guessing where the problem could be,
by putting lots of print(),
by using gdb,
by using valgrind, whose output message is too verbose in my opinion.

jespdj
March 18th, 2008, 09:54 PM
God proofs your code while you sleep. Its a little known fact.
Really? I thought the little GNOME in my computer fixes all the problems while I'm not looking. :lolflag:

Wybiral
March 18th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I debug (from high priority to low priority):
by guessing where the problem could be,
by putting lots of print(),
by using gdb,
by using valgrind, whose output message is too verbose in my opinion.

valgrind should not be at the bottom of that list. It's one of my favorite tools when debugging C code. If you don't post your program, we can't try to figure it out.

This is why unit testing is so important... Don't wait for those bugs to show up when your program is too big to handle, test every module thoroughly, individually.

ruy_lopez
March 19th, 2008, 12:00 AM
C is mysterious. Sometimes, when testing, you do something screwy with pointers, and weird things happen. I experienced the same the other week, doing sockets programming. A buffer worked when an unrelated, redundant statement was included. It stopped working when I removed the statement. After a reboot, neither worked, because I was doing something screwy. It shouldn't have worked in the first place.

I'm experiencing this quite a lot.

EDIT: Most of these problems disappear when I use malloc, and pass pointers, instead of passing pointers to declared storage.