PDA

View Full Version : HP adding Novell's Linux to its desktop lineup

Bungo Pony
March 18th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Wheee!!! :D

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/18/HP-adding-Novells-Linux-to-its-desktop-lineup_1.html

HP will join Dell and Lenovo in pre-installing Novell's Suse Linux 10 on desktop PCs

By John Fontana, Network World
March 18, 2008

Novell plans to announce Tuesday that HP will begin loading Suse Linux 10 on its desktops, joining Dell and Lenovo as partners who pre-install the open-source operating system.

The news comes just a few weeks after Novell announced server and desktop revenue had grown 65 percent over the past year. The company does not break down the revenue -- which hit $30 million in its fiscal first quarter -- by desktop and server, but CEO Ron Hovsepian says the desktop is "on a good track toward doubling its revenue."

"We like where the desktop is going, we like the direction," he adds.

The Dell deal likely will add some momentum to that direction.

Novell plans to make the announcement at its annual Brainshare conference.

The news comes just a day after the company began detailing the underpinnings of its Suse Linux 11 desktop and server. The operating system is slated to roll out in 2009, according to Justin Steinman, directory of product marketing for Linux and open platform solutions at Novell.

The server will become a foundation element of the company's new Fossa vision around service-based IT infrastructure. The company laid out 11 key themes, including an appliance option, a standalone virtualization platform, deep support for Windows Server 2008, and "green" features.

The Suse Linux server is earmarked as a foundation element for Novell's Fossa architecture, an service-oriented architecture-like, service-based infrastructure.

Novell plans to add to Suse Linux data center technologies and will include new features designed to support appliance developers. Novell also plans to add high-availability capabilities, support of advanced interconnections like Infiniband, and features for low-latency computing.

In addition, green features will be added to help reduce energy consumption using virtualization. Novell also will add new power management capabilities for chips and disk drives.

Novell says it will upgrade its Xen virtualization technology to support multiple formats and support stand-alone and embedded versions of the virtualization platform.

The company also plans to focus on bettering its story on Unix migrations by meeting or beating performance benchmarks posted by Solaris and adding migration toolsets. On the Windows front, Novell will focus on optimization, adding advanced support for Windows Server 2008 virtual guest operating systems, systems management and rich Internet application support.

On the desktop, Novell will focus on usability features, collaboration and security.

DeadSuperHero
March 19th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Well, as long as everything's set up beforehand, then great. I tried OpenSuSe for a while, and YAST is just not for me. I prefer Synaptic.
That said, it's good to know that Linux is getting another big supporter.
Now, the question: Will it ship with Gnome, KDE 3.5, or KDE4?

LaRoza
March 19th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Good, OpenSuSE is a very professional setup and easy to use.

It may not be the most suitable distro for tinkerers, but it is an install and use distro.

SunnyRabbiera
March 19th, 2008, 01:33 AM
So basically HP is selling another windows version, how strange :p

LaRoza
March 19th, 2008, 01:50 AM
So basically HP is selling another windows version, how strange :p

SuSE is Linux.

bobbybobington
March 19th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Sweet, SuSE is a solid distro

FuturePilot
March 19th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Great news! I really like Suse. It's a very professional looking polished distro. It has a lot of configuration tools that you can't find in any other distro. It just doesn't like me too much :(

aroth87
March 19th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I have a Thinkpad R61 arriving this week with Suse Enterprise pre-installed. I mostly got it because it was $63 cheaper than the same computer with Vista. I figured I could try Suse and install Ubuntu if I didn't like it :lolflag: Plus if I'm feeling really dirty I can get XP or Vista for free through my University.

Adam

LaRoza
March 19th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I have a Thinkpad R61 arriving this week with Suse Enterprise pre-installed. I mostly got it because it was $63 cheaper than the same computer with Vista. I figured I could try Suse and install Ubuntu if I didn't like it Plus if I'm feeling really dirty I can get XP or Vista for free through my University.

Adam

I have a ThinkPad R61i, and it came with Vista. OpenSuSE is on it now :)

Dragonbite
March 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I have a Dell D400 that now runs openSuse and it's a good distro.

I think Yast is like 90% there, just a few things that need to be tweaked out, though I'm using 10.2, not 10.3 and 11 is due out right around the corner so maybe those concerns are already addressed!?

Handy feature is if the desktop environment get's hosed (found this out on SuSE 9.1), then log into the command line and type yast and it comes up with full power! Consdiering it was a mouse (of all things) that caused me trouble, I was able to fix that easily in Yast.

sajro
March 19th, 2008, 03:01 PM
SuSE is the only thing in Novell's product line that doesn't suck. NetWare has the uptime of a bowling ball and their ******* software (Groupwise, Login Client, etc.) is absolutely terrible.

I'm surprised they haven't yet managed to screw up Linux... But never fear! They are well on their way, with (likely) the slowest packaging system in modern Linux! At least they're funding that project to write OSS drivers for Linux at no cost to H/W manufacturers.

Mr. Picklesworth
March 19th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Any news on which of their desktop lineup this is? Do you have to know to ask specially, like with Dell?