PDA

View Full Version : When will you upgrade to Dapper?

23meg
October 7th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Now that Breezy is knocking on the door, and the Dapper development branch is about to be launched, I wonder how the balance will be between people who'll play safe and keep with Breezy, and those who'll make the switch sooner and help squash bugs. Of course, there many other possibilities; the poll options should cover most, but please elaborate if you're considering to do something different. (Please vote separately for options 1-4 and 5-6)

Ubunted
October 7th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Final version, no sooner, and probably later, after I've seeded my bandwidth into oblivion.

Just like Breezy. :D

Perfect Storm
October 7th, 2005, 08:54 AM
RC, perhaps. Maybe a little earlier, depending if I can control my curiousity

UbuWu
October 7th, 2005, 10:20 AM
When breezy is final, I will do two fresh installs and one will get updated to dapper as soon as the repositories open.

livingtarget
October 7th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Depends on how happy i'll be with my breezy badger. Most likely at the preview releases. Might even do it earlier if i'm feeling lucky.

Kvark
October 7th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Final version, no sooner, and probably later, after I've seeded my bandwidth into oblivion.

Just like Breezy. :D
Same here, cause I wouldn't know what to do if something went wrong and got messed up.

benplaut
October 7th, 2005, 10:45 AM
i'll do it when a few colonies (what will they be called?) are out... depending on how stable it is by then... breezy worked great at CIII :D

Lovechild
October 7th, 2005, 11:10 AM
[x] The second the Dapper archives open, I'm not waiting around like a chicken, not for one second - lemme at that breakage!!!

brentoboy
October 7th, 2005, 01:18 PM
I'll put it in a virtual machine as soon as their are repositores to update from.

I'll put it on my secondary box - to play with - once they have a prerelease.

I'll upgrade my important PCs a few weeks after we get to final release.

macewan
October 7th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I'll put it on a second harddrive at home

tom-ubuntu
October 7th, 2005, 02:04 PM
As I am not into playing around with my system anymore (reason why I switched to Ubuntu) I will upgrade only to final and stable versions. I am tired of fixing and playing around with my system. It should just work.

Ampersand
October 7th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I'll probably move over quite early, since I've got my laptop as a backup. I'll watch the development board to see how stable it is generally for a while, then update when I have a spare afternoon.

Master Shake
October 7th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Definitly the RC, and possibly the first preview.

earobinson
October 7th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Im all about the latest and gratest, first preivew

matthew
October 7th, 2005, 05:28 PM
On which machine?

On my laptop: it will probably run Hoary for a long time...too many specific configuration issues and it all works beautifully now.

On my wife's desktop: everything works great with Breezy, she probably won't let me change it.

On my kid's computer: everything works with Hoary and they just play kid's games so there's no point.

On my test computer: probably very early in the process. At least by the first preview.

ubuntu_demon
October 8th, 2005, 10:57 AM
at this moment I run a triple boot (breezy,hoary,windows XP). I don't use hoary anymore but I keep it in case something happens. I don't run windows XP unless I need my scanner.

I'll probably install breezy over my current hoary installation (to try the new installer) the weekend after breezy gets released.

I'll probably dist-upgrade my current breezy to drapper around christmas. Maybe sooner if people need help and I'm bored.

I won't use Drapper as my primary OS until the preview (the real one .. not colony cd's) gets out.

regarding my gateway/fileserver : I'll probably dist-upgrade it during the Drapper preview .. maybe I'm wise enough to wait for RC1.

Jussi Kukkonen
October 8th, 2005, 11:29 AM
i'll do it when a few colonies (what will they be called?) are out...

Eurasian badgers or american badgers?

..just kidding. A group of badgers is called a cete.

transactionlogfiller
October 8th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I've been using Breezy for ages, as there were some things in Hoary that weren't quite right, and I'm toying with the idea of a fresh install when it goes stable. I won't be rushing to upgrade to Dapper unless there is something really cool that I can't live without (despite having done so just fine up until now :) ) or unless I get bored one weekend.

jimcooncat
October 8th, 2005, 11:59 AM
When they incorporate some technology I really want, like Xen, and make it stable. Otherwise, Breezy will do fine.

darkmatter
October 8th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I'll most likely upgrade with the fist preview. Possibly earlier.

HungSquirrel
October 8th, 2005, 01:00 PM
I'll dist-upgrade from Breezy when either a preview release or an RC is released. It worked for Warty, Hoary, and now Breezy, so I've been happy with the results thus far.

Pekkalainen
October 8th, 2005, 03:39 PM
I will do a clean install once it is final. I cant afford to waste time on unfinished software.

Goober
October 8th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I'll more then likely just keep my Hoary and Breezy partitions, and install Dapper on a new partition. I honestly have more Gigs then I know what mto do with . . .

Or perhaps I could nuke my Hoary partition, and put it on there. Either way, I'm a keeping my Breezy partition.

minio
October 8th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Hoary and Breezy were stable enough for daily use about month and half or two months before release so i think i will upgrade around end of february

manicka
October 8th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I found just after the feature freeze a good time. No option for this in poll.

NeoChaosX
October 8th, 2005, 09:42 PM
I always upgrade when the new version of GNOME ships.

Skye
October 8th, 2005, 09:45 PM
I'll probably throw Dapper on a spare disk as soon as it comes out- I'm too damn curious for my own good.

Zerocool10482
January 24th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I can't wait to have all the new stuff that came out right when breezy came out. I'll wait a month or so after the final to do a full install from CD. I don't like to do upgrades. I've had problems in that past with that. I know it will be easier for me to just have a fresh install. I love fresh installs. I get to try all the new features as I go. So I know what to do when I need something. Theres a lot of stuff new with Dapper.

Vlammetje
January 24th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I'll have a go with a dist-upgrade, I think probably late Feb when I have some time on my hands. Never done an upgrade before so should be an interesting experience for me... let's hope it works out well.

jeffjj
January 24th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I like to go just before things head into a preview release. Its fun rolling with the changes up to the final release. Every day you get like 80 changes and think to yourself...is this the day it blows up when I press the shiny update button. Living on the edge man :). Plus last year during april fools I thought it was hilarious when the Ubuntu team swapped out the login screen for a shot of the developers all looking up at the camera, kind of making fun of the controversy around the original login screen. Some people didn't like the team messing with their system...but then again some people need to lighten up :).

P.S. Either the timing is right, or I just get lucky, but so far Ubuntu has never failed me by going early.

fuscia
January 24th, 2006, 03:31 PM
i don't have the skills to feel comfortable messing with something that isn't stable, as far as an OS is concerned. i'll mess with alpha versions of firefox, but not something so global.

YourSurrogateGod
January 24th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I gots breezy working (still need to work out some problems), I don't see the need to upgrade anytime soon... I'll wait till next year.

joselin
January 24th, 2006, 05:08 PM
As soon as i download the final release. Never before.

Sp@z
January 24th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I am still too nervouse about crashing breezy still. I am just now trying to use it exclusivley again, but fear crashing it. I don't think I will ever upgrade since it looks like I will LAWAYS be aLinux noob!

BSDFreak
January 24th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I've been tracking current since i installed Ubuntu, in do that with most of my OS's (i do file bug reports or submit patches), the only one that i have been able to track through years without ONE hitch would be Slackware, i have not seen one unstable package in a decade of tracking current.

Tracking Ubuntu current breaks it monthly IME, i think they are losing out on a lot by not having a "broken" category to put the highly experimental packs in.

mohapi
January 24th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I have far more faith in the development of Ubuntu than the development of Windows, but I still find myself slightly hesitant to jump straight in. Years of whacked-out v1.0 installs makes me twitchy.

I'll wait until it's final, and try it out separately. If I like what I see, I'll go ahead with it. :)

matiastepli
January 24th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I have both Hoary and Breezy installed. I will upgrade from the Breezy installation to Dapper when the final release it's done. If I like the way it works, I will also dist-upgrade my Hoary installation, which is the one I am using for every day stuff.

Regards!.

super
January 24th, 2006, 08:19 PM
i just dl'ed flight 3 cd and (if i get some time) i'll install it this weekend.
this is probably what i will stick with until the release after dapper. 6.10 or whatever.
i'll just dist-upgrade till then.

mstlyevil
January 24th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I will wait about a month after the release for new updates and bug fixes to come out before installing it. I will do a complete reinstall since I always back up my data to CDR/DVDR on a regular basis. There is nothing like a fresh install of a operating system to make you feel like you have a new computer. I like to wait also because it is generally faster to download the iso image and there is a lot better documentation available about a month after a new release.

bonzodog
January 24th, 2006, 09:23 PM
well, I've upgraded already, and it's......ok.

christhemonkey
January 24th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Still on Hoary :)