PDA

View Full Version : Compiz-Fusio Confessions

rab4567
March 17th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I've been a Compiz-Fusion junky for just about a year now, and I overdosed on all the good sweet dripping special effects that we know and love, so much so my eyes are started to feel like rotating cubes. So now I've sober up shaking off all the self indulgent electric photons spearsing my brain and leaving behind Compiz-Fusion only to become a pure Ubuntu user, TOTALLY REFORMED. Well huh, maybe not, OK so I'm still a junkey. Its just ummm I'm sitting here tonight can't sleep so I'm trying to watch TopGrear on Youtube and Firefox keeps cashing so I set my computer to the old dry standard settings. And Oh man Firefox plays without a hitch, is there a simple switch to toggle between Compiz and the standard desk top? For a junky like me. Please pretty Please.

jayde6
March 17th, 2008, 08:18 AM
While I have not tried this myself, others have found this to work
http://forlong.blogage.de/article/pages/Compiz-Switch

hope it helps
~jayde6

FuturePilot
March 17th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Compiz Switch (http://forlong.blogage.de/article/pages/Compiz-Switch) ;)

rab4567
March 17th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks Guy It works!!!!

rab4567
March 17th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Hey are there anymore niffty plugins like that that are hopefully easy

klange
March 17th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Your concerns don't make sense. Compiz won't make Firefox crash, if you have a problem, you should report it (http://bugs.opencompositing.org) and then try to work around it.

NightwishFan
March 17th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I love Compiz to show off. I converted my friends mom who is over 60 and tried Vista and hated it. She was, I believe the phrase is "tickled", about using such a beautiful os. I remember I hit logoff in my demo for her and she jumped in amazement at how it played the music and I was swiftly at my login screen. Compiz is hardly buggy except for some apps do not like it. In Hardy compiz is way more stable. Come april be ready for a pleasant surprise. =D

IsawSp4rks
March 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Hey are there anymore niffty plugins like that that are hopefully easy

I use this : Fusion Icon : http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/0...ion-tray-icon/

It lets you easily switch between Compiz and Metacity, but also lets you easily manage Emerald and switch between Emerald and Metacity as the Window Decorator of choice.

I don't use Compiz Switch anymore.

notwen
March 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I use this : Fusion Icon : http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/0...ion-tray-icon/

It lets you easily switch between Compiz and Metacity, but also lets you easily manage Emerald and switch between Emerald and Metacity as the Window Decorator of choice.

I don't use Compiz Switch anymore.

Does this work w/o a hitch in Gutsy?

flowevd
March 17th, 2008, 12:57 PM

for me it does

lyceum
March 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I am a compiz junkie, but my laptop works just fine with it on. I never turn it off. :confused:

IsawSp4rks
March 17th, 2008, 01:03 PM

Hitch-free :)

rab4567
March 17th, 2008, 05:10 PM
From Windowsucks: Your concerns don't make sense. Compiz won't make Firefox crash, if you have a problem, you should report it and then try to work around it.

Perhaps your right but with my computer(HP AMD 4200 2GB NVIDA Geforce 6150LE) it has some issues with flash. With Compiz-Fusion
it start to freeze up then breaks and don't even think about playing a games with it. This little switch is a blessing I can keep on trucking.

To NightwishFan: Dude I love showing Compiz to people just to see their mouths slowly fall open it brings in new users all the time and when they find out its free it blows their mind. So if this is the new cyber drug then I'm its new drug dealer. I've converted my dad, brother, daughter, my friends and I'm still a new user. Just the other day my brother called me to put Ubuntu on 5 more computers this is crazy. I wish the Ubuntu people would put Compiz-Fusion in the forefront with all the features ready to go for the next distribution, so we don't have to dig it out from the back shelves. Installing Ubuntu can takes some time it would nice if I could through a Ubuntu disc on a computer and not have to worry about synapic switches and codecs.

IsawSp4rks
March 17th, 2008, 05:25 PM
It is a forefront feature since 7.10. It's part of the Appearance control panel (app) and in Hardy Heron, the compiz config manager is installed by default.

Some may not like it and others may view it as useless eye candy, but Compiz Fusion is a defining aspect of GNU/Linux on X that makes Ubuntu (and many other modern distros) more appealing than Windows XP and Vista in certain visual and organisational ways.

Lantesh
March 17th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Compiz Switch (http://forlong.blogage.de/article/pages/Compiz-Switch) ;)

Thanks it works like a charm. It's nice to have a way to easily turn off the eye candy when I'm not in the mood for it.

rab4567
March 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Well the hard core terminal user may think its just eye candy but I use it everyday and I love the way I can do muitipe things at one time. Compiz (Beryl at the time) was the vehicle that brought out of the cold Windows gulag and into the mind freedom of Linux. The problem is people don't know it or don't have any idea of it.

rab4567
March 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM
There is one thing that I miss from the Beryl days was the water wave effect when you moved a window around and stop, is there a switch for that in the Compiz manager?

klange
March 17th, 2008, 08:10 PM
There is one thing that I miss from the Beryl days was the water wave effect when you moved a window around and stop, is there a switch for that in the Compiz manager?
Not yet, but someone was working on it briefly. We can technically achieve the effect quite easily, but no one ever put it back in during the merge. We've had a lot of requests for it though, I'm surprised no one has considered actually going and doing it...

NightwishFan
March 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I theme heavily after water with my Ubuntu. That would be the icing on the cake to my perfect desktop. I wonder if I can get it in OpenSUSE. I doubt it and compiz is hard to enable anyway.

Tristam Green
March 17th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Fusion-icon:

Only problem I have is no icon shows up. Where do I find the icon file for it?

intense.ego
March 18th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I can confirm that compiz-switch works like a charm. Been using it for a while now. Switch it on when I want to show off or when I wan't to use some features. Otherwise I keep it off for better performance.

IsawSp4rks
March 18th, 2008, 01:14 AM
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/fusion-icon.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/fusion-icon.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/fusion-icon.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/fusion-icon.png
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/fusion-icon.svg