PDA

View Full Version : Does this guy look legit to you?

hhhhhx
March 17th, 2008, 05:47 AM
as a few of you may or may not know i am selling an old com in the community market. it wasent getting many hits so i decided to throw it up on craigslist, and, well just look :lolflag: :

http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/4/3/16/t_Screenshotm_55e408e.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/3/16/f_Screenshotm_55e408e.png&srv=img33)

jrusso2
March 17th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I don't know what makes you think he is not legit?

uberlube
March 17th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Sounds a little fishy to me dude :lolflag:

I am always weary about people telling me personal info about themselves before making some kind of money deal with them. It's as if they are trying to disarm you of any underlaying suspicions to make you feel like you can trust them. If he were more straightforward and just said 'hi my name is.... i want your.... i will pay...' then it would sound more legit. Beware buddy :)

sstusick
March 17th, 2008, 05:55 AM
blah

hhhhhx
March 17th, 2008, 05:58 AM

I am always weary about people telling me personal info about themselves before making some kind of money deal with them. It's as if they are trying to disarm you of any underlaying suspicions to make you feel like you can trust them. If he were more straightforward and just said 'hi my name is.... i want your.... i will pay...' then it would sound more legit. Beware buddy :)
exatly what i was thinking,

also the fact that he dident event try to answer my reply seems a little strange :-k

Rhubarb
March 17th, 2008, 06:02 AM
IMHO that's dodgy and is not legit.
An old man (grandfather) would not be using "u" rather than "you". Especially since the rest of the message is written in reasonably good English.

uberlube
March 17th, 2008, 06:06 AM
He was probably guaging your response to see how much you would divulge right off the bat, and now he's given up. What a predator :lolflag:

I recently fell victim to an attempted scam while trying to find a job online. I was looking for a class 3 driver position and sent an email to a guy claiming to need a driver in my area. Next thing you know this guy is sending me an Email asking for LOTS of personal info and claiming he's going to send me a cheque for $2000 to set up some kind of business. He said he needed me to cash it and take out my first weeks salary and send him the rest so he can fly to my "STATE" and work with me directly. I made it pretty obvious in my first email to him that I live in Canada . To make a long story short I sent him another email that said:

THIS IS SCAM
YOU ARE DOUCHEBAG

PoopSlayer
March 17th, 2008, 06:09 AM
He seems to be giving you WAY too much information. If he had just said "Hi, I would like this computer for my grandson who is doing studies in the UK." I would trust him.

hhhhhx
March 17th, 2008, 06:09 AM
He was probably guaging your response to see how much you would divulge right off the bat, and now he's given up. What a predator :lolflag:

I recently fell victim to an attempted scam while trying to find a job online. I was looking for a class 3 driver position and sent an email to a guy claiming to need a driver in my area. Next thing you know this guy is sending me an Email asking for LOTS of personal info and claiming he's going to send me a cheque for $2000 to set up some kind of business. He said he needed me to cash it and take out my first weeks salary and send him the rest so he can fly to my "STATE" and work with me directly. I made it pretty obvious in my first email to him that I live in Canada . To make a long story short I sent him another email that said:

THIS IS SCAM
YOU ARE DOUCHEBAG
hmm.. mind if i copy that last part, and send it to him :lolflag:

uberlube
March 17th, 2008, 06:14 AM
It's all yours dude. That last part is free under the GPL :lolflag:

Sef
March 17th, 2008, 07:37 AM

I agree. It is a scam.

Atomic Dog
March 17th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Reasonably well written? It's trash, and no way is that a 67 year old man benevolently buying a computer for his grandson. People are easily socially engineered. Luckly you picked up on the signs this was bogus. They count on your greed/desperation/stupidity/gullibility to survive and steal your money/items.

Be suspicious. Walk from a deal/offer if you get even the slightest bad vibe.

cerpin
March 17th, 2008, 09:09 AM

/aggred

does sound fishy, but who knows. kinda strange guy. :lolflag:

PartisanEntity
March 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM
He might as well have posted a CV and motivation letter too, scam IMO.

rolnics
March 17th, 2008, 10:26 AM
That's a great read for a Monday morning!!! :lolflag:

There is definitely a smell of fish about this, I find the "nice and good transaction" part very amusing!

fatality_uk
March 17th, 2008, 10:31 AM
But if he doesn't want to buy it, I know this Nigerian guy...
Says he works for the UN and always sends me emails asking if I have old PC's for sales and he will give me TOP $$$ price. ;)

vikrant82
March 17th, 2008, 10:52 AM
This is a typical ebay scam. I have had enough of them. Next he's going to send you a fake mail from paypal claiming that your money has arrived. Ship the item and give courier details so that money can be released for you.

Its a famous scam.

I had this lady who was wanting to gift this laptop to her husband in London.

Do one thing, carry on your conversation and tell him, that your friend is ready to pay 200$. I am sure he'll be ready for even 250.

rolnics
March 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM
It's a shame you need to pay the someone to ship to this guy, it would be amusing to send them something for their efforts!!! Something like . .. . fish??! :lolflag:

w1z4rd
March 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Its a Nigerian scammer. Ignore him.

NightwishFan
March 17th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Trust no one. Except for the people telling you to trust no one. No, not even them.

/Scam

patrickaupperle
March 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM
An old man (grandfather) would not be using "u" rather than "you". Especially since the rest of the message is written in reasonably good English.

That is exactly what I was thinking. There is no way a 67 year old man would be using u. I don't even use u and I am no where near his age. :lol: And did you notice he said "cos this transaction" that is another thing someone of his age would not say. He also sounds like he does not know English very well. I would not send him the computer at all. I would probably hit the report spam button. :lolflag:

lyceum
March 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Get the $$'s first then send the item.

kostkon
March 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM

+1

Also, his reply (his 2nd email) is way too much over the top to be believable, I think.

mips
March 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Take your computer and RUN!

plb
March 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM
This is a classic scam they've been pulling on craigslists here in nyc for some time...I get at least 5 of these emails on nearly all things I've tried to sell. Just delete any emails like this. I'm pretty sure craigslist has this listed under scams..But if you want to see it for yourself try posting a few other things up for sale and I'll guarantee you will see the exact same thing.

lloyd_b
March 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM
It's a shame you need to pay the someone to ship to this guy, it would be amusing to send them something for their efforts!!! Something like . .. . fish??! :lolflag:

Personally, I liked the game these guys played on a scammer:
P-P-P-Powerbook Prank (http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/)

Lloyd B.

rolnics
March 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
There's a few of those kinda people / sites appearing now, my boss was looking at one a few months ago, now what was it called!!

But these guys can get pretty nasty so the easiest thing to do really is to click delete or report spam.

aaaantoine
March 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM
There's a few of those kinda people / sites appearing now, my boss was looking at one a few months ago, now what was it called!!

But these guys can get pretty nasty so the easiest thing to do really is to click delete or report spam.

At the end of the story lloyd_b posted, there is a list of things that the scammer does. #1. He sends a virus to Jeff (the guy who sent the fake laptop). #2. A DoS attack is orchestrated on p-p-p-powerbook.com.

But #3 is what sends chills down my spine...

Finally, and most disturbingly, Jeff was not heard from again. I personally e-mailed him for permission to run his story on ZUG, but after an initial response, I never heard from him again. All of his Web sites have come down, and he is nowhere to be found.

Lantesh
March 17th, 2008, 05:47 PM
This is obviously not legitimate. The guy claims to be 67, and his grammer is either that of a 14 year old, or that of someone who's native language is something other than English. Do yourself a favor and find another buyer. If on the other hand you want to pursue this be smart about it. Tell him to send you a certified check, and don't mail the package until your bank let's you know the check has fully cleared your account. This can take 10 days or more! If the check it bad, and believe me it will be, your account will be charged back after the check fails to clear the last hurdle.

lespaul_rentals
March 17th, 2008, 06:37 PM
It's a spam message, google the first few lines. A spambot posted it.

blithen
March 17th, 2008, 06:44 PM
It's a spam message, google the first few lines. A spambot posted it.

Awww...seriously? The least the attempted scammer could've done was to type it out.

prshah
March 17th, 2008, 07:28 PM
as a few of you may or may not know i am selling an old com in the community market. it wasent getting many hits so i decided to throw it up on craigslist, and, well just look :lolflag: :

http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/4/3/16/t_Screenshotm_55e408e.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/3/16/f_Screenshotm_55e408e.png&srv=img33)

Nope. After you send him your paypal info, he will tell you that there's something wrong with his account and he can't use paypal, he will send by Western Union, oh wait there's no branch where he is, why not give him your bank account number...

If you think he's on the level, I have:

a) An oil well to sell to you
b) a scheme to extract gold and cobalt from seawater
c) a south african bank manager whose client with a secret bank account has just conked off and he wants to siphon funds through your account and will pay you a 15% commission for the use of your account
d) all of the above.

There's plenty of these chaps on Yahoo Singapore Auctions...

NightwishFan
March 17th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I had:
I won the UK Lottery and I need to tell them my account number for payment.

A prince of Nigeria wishes to wire me money for safekeeping until a civil war is over.

Since I got gmail, I get no more spam.

hhhhhx
March 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM
here i got another one, what's your input?

Hello,,
Thanks for your mail. I'm interested in buying your (2.57 GHz - 512 MB Computer for sale ) and i agreed with your offer, so get back to me with your information which the Certisfied bank cheque will be issue on..Perhaps, i have a shipping company whowill be picking it up as soon as we seal up the deal and consider it sold to me....More so, i want you to note that the check will get to you much more to the asking price mainly because of the shipping that required, As soon as you acknowledge the clearance of the check, you deduct your $120. and send the balance to the shipping company for immediate pick up of your goods as well as other goods in several locations. Perharps, funds has to be cleared and confirmed by the bank before collections. I will also compensate you extra $20 to remove the advert from the internet and consider it sold to me..... So if this is okay by you get back to me with your information below:
Full name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip code:
Phone number:
I await to hear back from you on the details sothat i can instruct my client to issue you the payment.

aaaantoine
March 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM
hanks for your mail. I'm interested in buying your (2.57 GHz - 512 MB Computer for sale ) and i agreed with your offer, so get back to me with your information which the Certisfied bank cheque will be issue on..Perhaps, i have a shipping company whowill be picking it up as soon as we seal up the deal and consider it sold to me....More so, i want you to note that the check will get to you much more to the asking price mainly because of the shipping that required, As soon as you acknowledge the clearance of the check, you deduct your $120. and send the balance to the shipping company for immediate pick up of your goods as well as other goods in several locations. Perharps, funds has to be cleared and confirmed by the bank before collections. I will also compensate you extra $20 to remove the advert from the internet and consider it sold to me..... So if this is okay by you get back to me with your information below:

The following is wrong with this email:

1. Too long. I would pretty much ignore any "inquiring" email with more than 50 words.
2. Spelling, punctuation, and grammar is way too sloppy for anyone with a client. "Certisfied bank cheque"...
3. No questions about the product. Not even any attempts at haggling.
4. They have their own shipping company? Really, who uses anything besides the big three (FedEx, UPS, DHL)?
5. Complicated instructions beyond "Who do I make the check out to?". This kinda fits under #1, but basically this guy is asking you to go through hoops to scam you out of your PC.