PDA

View Full Version : Are you a member or a guest here?

Bruce M.
March 17th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Sunday 16 March 2008 @ 00:35 GMT

Currently Active Users: 9330 (836 members and 8494 guests)

Are you:

a Member
a Guest
Don't know

For me, I really don't know if I'm a Member or a Guest

I'm "assuming" I'm a member as I can create threads, and post in the forum.

Am I right or wrong?

Bruce

EDIT: If the next two posts are correct this has to be the "Most Ridiculous Thread - Poll" in the forums since only members can reply.
I hope this gets jailed for that reason alone.:lolflag:

hhhhhx
March 17th, 2008, 01:44 AM
if your logged in your a member, if your not, your a guest

Bruce M.
March 17th, 2008, 01:47 AM
if your logged in your a member, if your not, your a guest

So you're telling me there are 8000+ people that can only read the forums at this time?

bruce89
March 17th, 2008, 01:48 AM
How do you propose non-logged in people post here to tell us they are a guest?

LaRoza
March 17th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Also, "guests" could be spiders, so the numbers may not add up :)

Bruce M.
March 17th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Also, "guests" could be spiders, so the numbers may not add up :)

See my Edit in the first post! :oops:

LaRoza
March 17th, 2008, 02:09 AM
See my Edit in the first post! :oops:

Well, one voted, so it has merit.

(Ok, it was I)

bruce89
March 17th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Bruce

EDIT: If the next two posts are correct this has to be the "Most Ridiculous Thread - Poll" in the forums since only members can reply.
I hope this gets jailed for that reason alone.:lolflag:

Someone with the same name as me can't be all bad.

Jailing is only for rude or offensive posts, not embarrasing ones.

Forrest Gumpp
March 17th, 2008, 02:15 AM
@Bruce M

There are no stupid questions in the Ubuntu Forums! So don't you worry about that!

Of course, it will doubtless be observed that whilst there are no stupid questions, there are only stupid people. Brings Kamahl's signature question to mind: "Why are people so unkind?":) Thanks for stepping up Bruce M, it draws the crabs away from the rest of us!:)

Seriously, though you have highlighted a category of user seemingly unrecognized so far as explanations of many features of the Forums are concerned: the category of the registered user (ie. member of the Forum) not logged in. The option content of many drop-down menus, and the visibility of some buttons (like,for example, the 'Thanks' button) only exist for registered users logged-in.

The extent to which the invisibility of the full functionality of the Forums may be a factor in Forum guests (who cannot log in while they remain such) failing to become Forum Members should perhaps be given some consideration.

p_quarles
March 17th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Talk about vote-rigging. :D

Forrest Gumpp
March 17th, 2008, 02:23 AM
@p_quarles

No chance of a bit of 'guided democracy' is there? Couldn't you, as a moderator, just throw in some extra vote on behalf of the nominally outnumbering guests in around the proportion shown to be present in the latest stats?

I think the first image here constitutes the necessary precedent: http://homepage.mac.com/rcareaga/diebold/adworks.htm

p_quarles
March 17th, 2008, 02:30 AM
@p_quarles

No chance of a bit of 'guided democracy' is there? Couldn't you, as a moderator, just throw in some extra vote on behalf of the nominally outnumbering guests in around the proportion shown to be present in the latest stats?

I think the first image here constitutes the necessary precedent: http://homepage.mac.com/rcareaga/diebold/adworks.htm
I already did, actually. The second "guest" in the poll was me. As a staff member here, I see it as my duty to give voice to those who are silenced by the CAPTCHAs.

Superkoop
March 17th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Lol...um, just, lol.
No offense or anything, this was just pretty funny. =D
If anything, you managed to put a smile on my face, so don't feel bad.

Taino
March 17th, 2008, 05:34 AM
If the guest could vote they would win this by a landslide. :biggrin:

Bruce M.
March 17th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Well, one voted, so it has merit.

(Ok, it was I)

Yea, and I'm the richest man in the world too!

Bruce M.
March 17th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Someone with the same name as me can't be all bad.

Jailing is only for rude or offensive posts, not embarrasing ones.

My grandparents (on my fathers side) hailed from Glasgow as well.
You might be a long lost cousin. :)

Bruce M.
March 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM
@Bruce M

There are no stupid questions in the Ubuntu Forums! So don't you worry about that!

Or there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. :)

Of course, it will doubtless be observed that whilst there are no stupid questions, there are only stupid people. Brings Kamahl's signature question to mind: "Why are people so unkind?":) Thanks for stepping up Bruce M, it draws the crabs away from the rest of us!:)

Yea, like now I really feel better. NOT!
Pass the chocolates Forrest!

I registered about 6 weeks after getting Ubuntu, as soon as I found them. Had I spent some time "lurking" and reading I would not have logged in using Bruce M. Of course then people would be saying; "Look at abc+xyz, or E=(MC^2) s/he just created the most ridiculous poll in the forums."

But no, now they know Bruce M. did it! {sigh}
Another chocolate please.

Seriously, though you have highlighted a category of user seemingly unrecognized so far as explanations of many features of the Forums are concerned: the category of the registered user (ie. member of the Forum) not logged in. The option content of many drop-down menus, and the visibility of some buttons (like,for example, the 'Thanks' button) only exist for registered users logged-in.

The extent to which the invisibility of the full functionality of the Forums may be a factor in Forum guests (who cannot log in while they remain such) failing to become Forum Members should perhaps be given some consideration.

Hmmm, maybe guests should only be able to read the "headings" of the threads. :)

popch
March 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM
"Look at abc+xyz, or E=(MC^2) s/he just created the most ridiculous poll in the forums."

But no, now they know Bruce M. did it! {sigh}
Another chocolate please.

Not to rain on your parade, but your poll isn't by far the most ridiculous one in this forum, not even this week. If you want to see some really whacko ones, go to the backyard. I will not say more without a lawyer.

Besides, I will cheerfully vote 'Guest'. I don't live here but I am seen from time to time. What does that make me? Not a resident but - you guess it - a GUEST.

Bruce M.
March 17th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but your poll isn't by far the most ridiculous one in this forum, not even this week. If you want to see some really whacko ones, go to the backyard. I will not say more without a lawyer.

I went there once, a few months back. All I did was check out the Topics and left. Maybe I'll grab a lawyer friend and go visit.

Besides, I will cheerfully vote 'Guest'. I don't live here but I am seen from time to time. What does that make me? Not a resident but - you guess it - a GUEST.

A true buddy!
Here have one of Forrests chocolates, they are Swiss :)

popch
March 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Here have one of Forrests chocolates, they are Swiss :)

Ah, thanks a lot. Just what I need. I am still growing, and failing to grow in length, I do so in depth and width.

mips
March 17th, 2008, 04:20 PM
When I started reading the title is when I started lmao

greymongrey
March 17th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I am logged on as a member at the moment but I come here a lot of times looking for a quick answer and never bother to log in.

D-EJ915
March 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Interesting topic, as guests can't vote in polls :P

I guess I'm a guest in that I'm not an "ubuntard" hehe ¬_¬

blithen
March 17th, 2008, 06:48 PM
This is my favorite thread:popcorn:

Kernel Sanders
March 17th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I voted guest on behalf of all those guests unable to vote because they aren't members

Bruce M.
March 17th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Ah, thanks a lot. Just what I need. I am still growing, and failing to grow in length, I do so in depth and width.

Had a friend once that told me he wasn't fat!

That raised an eyebrow ... until he continued ...

"I'm just too short for my weight!"

chucky chuckaluck
March 17th, 2008, 08:00 PM
i think the OP was serious about the question. there is a stickied thread which seems to suggest a distintion between "ubuntu members" and regular posters - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=445211

Bruce M.
March 17th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Thank You

To the Members that voted: Guest
To support of the Guests that can't vote.

It just goes to show just how great a community we do have here in the Ubuntu Forums where Members will forfeit a vote in favour of those who can't vote.

Now I don't feel so bad, in fact I feel great!

I'm proud of you!

;-)

FuturePilot
March 17th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Sometimes I do come here and browse around without logging in.

Bruce M.
March 17th, 2008, 08:16 PM
i think the OP was serious about the question. there is a stickied thread which seems to suggest a distintion between "ubuntu members" and regular posters - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=445211

Oh you're a life saver! Thank you

That means everyone that has responded so far is a GUEST since none carry the UBUNTU MEMBER logo :)

Now I really really do feel GREAT!