PDA

View Full Version : Theora sea

drascus
March 17th, 2008, 12:01 AM
So we are all familiar with sites like you tube that provides streaming flash movies. But there is also a site that provides Streaming ogg Theora movies. The only problem is that there is not a lot of content there and there isn't a lot of content. I suggest people go there and add some content to that site and get it moving. here is the web adress. http://en.theorasea.org/

bruce89
March 17th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I'm waiting for Dirac Sea.

Joseph_K
March 20th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I'm the developper of ITheora and TheoraSea... I put there the text I sent to the theora.org mailing list that explain how I think all of that.

The first idea was to allow anybody to host and share videos with a free player and with free technologies so I have "skinned" Cortado but as I thought Cortado not very fast, I prefered give the choice between Cortado and plugins for browser (I had a very old computer and MPlayer for Firefox was better than Java, but now it works with <video> tag too (tested with Opera 9.50)). Instead of metavid project, ITheora needs to work on a "server side" (php instead of javascript) for the sharing.

The second idea was to offer a place to centralize the sharing of videos (it's the first advantage of Youtube) and as I didn't need to host neigther the videos nor the player (I've finally done it because some people wanted to use a player already installed), it was quite easy to do, so I worked on Pligg.
I 've added the overview of the video with the default skin (to normalize I ask people to not remove this skin if they want to share video), the thumbnail (like other youtube-like) and changed RSS feeds in podcast (work perfectly with Miro). Theorasea is now translated in french (of course because I'm french), and in spanish with the sirgazil's help (translator of SOM). All of that cost me only 50€ for a year for the hosting at OVH, so of course I won't display some advertising area on this site. (Some people think that TS is not free because they think I host videos and because there no mention about any licence or "term of use", but Pligg is on GPL2, ITheora will be on GPL3 (I didn't know if it was compatible with Cortado license, but now yes) and all the vidéos are licensed by their owner. (I have try to explain in the "Host a video" page but it's seem not to be enough))

The third step is the hosting, as the model of developpement is a little bit like P2P, it's possible to add different video hosting services on to.
It can be some private individuals that use their personnal sites or thematic groups (about free software, cooking ;) , free culture, etc...) or generalist sites like blip.tv. I don't do this because I can't (not enough means :) , but I think it's not necessary).
The hosting don't implicate that you had to refer on Theorasea (we can use the code engine of ITheora on TS or your own version of ITheora), and user is the only owners of the video, because he is free to share or not, to allow download or not, etc... (of course ITheora is not more reliable than Youtube to protect of downloads)

Because I'm french and (as a consequence ?) because ITheora is more well-known in France, most of the contents on TheoraSea are in french, but actually there are some indian people who are starting to put some contents in english. Actually there only 85 videos (or audio) on TheoraSea most of them are "unpublished" because nobody want to vote for :) , personnaly I don't care about votes, pligg works like this so I didn't change it : the "unpublished" area is used as a lock. But it's true that it would need some additions to "move" the site.

About dirac, I've heared that it would work with a new version of Cortado too. So, maybe DiracSea ;) will be in the same place of TheoraSea because, of course, I will make ITheora compatible with Dirac if it's possible. :)