PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials on Forum Basics

aysiu
March 16th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Some of the users on these forums are pretty forum-savvy--they've used forums for other subjects even if they're new to Ubuntu, so they know how to ask questions, how to find their old threads, etc.

Well, other users ask us from time to time how to do the forum basics (How do I post a new thread? How do I find my old threads?), and it occurred to me that we don't really have tutorials for those things on our site, and maybe we should. So here they are: one tutorial per post.

Please feel free to add your own tutorials to this thread, if you think they'd be helpful to new users--only tutorials on how to use the forums, not on how to use Ubuntu.

aysiu
March 16th, 2008, 05:45 PM
The forum is basically broken up into four main sections, with a bunch of subsections in each one.

The three main sections are Absolute Beginner, Main Support Categories, Other Community Discussions, and Forum Community Discussions.

If you're looking for support on a technical issue, your best bets are to post in the Absolute Beginner section (if you're new) or in the Main Support Categories (if you're not new).

If you have a thread that is not to do with technical support, you should post in one of the other subforums.

Please try to post in the appropriate subforum, though, as this will help keep the forums organized and will help others be able to find you to help you or to find your thread later to help themselves.

Avoid cross-posting. Post only one thread per topic. Do not, if you have a problem with getting your laptop to resume from suspend, post one thread about it in Absolute Beginner, another thread about it in Hardware & Laptop Support, and yet another about it in General Help. Cross-posting bumps other people's threads down, dilutes support from users trying to help you, and is generally considered parasitic--you may receive warnings or infractions for such behavior.

When in doubt, post one thread per problem and put in Absolute Beginner.

aysiu
March 16th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Once you've found the subforum you want to post in (Absolute Beginner, for example), click Make New Post to start a new thread for your problem.

Once you do that, you'll be able to create a thread title for your thread. Please pick one that actually gives an indication to others of what your thread is about. Avoid vague attention-seeking titles like Please help! I'm pulling my hair out! or If this is the kind of problem Ubuntu is going to give me, I'm going back to Windows or Help! I'm a noob. Urgent!

If it's a sound problem, say it's a sound problem. If it's a CD burning problem, say it's a CD burning problem.

Once you type your thread title and hit Tab, the forum will automatically search for threads on a similar topic. The idea is that many "new" questions have actually been asked and solved before. You can save yourself (and others) a lot of time and energy by just seeing if the answer might be out there for you, so feel free to middle-click these search results and see if any of them help. If they don't, continue to type your initial thread post.

In your thread's first post, please explain briefly your situation, what you've tried, and any other information that may be helpful to people who are not standing right behind you looking at your computer monitor.

aysiu
March 16th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Before you submit your post, scroll down to Additional Options.

In that section, you'll see a little box that says Attach Files. Within that box, click the button called Manage Attachments and a new window should appear.

From that new window, you can Browse and Upload images from your hard drive to the forums.

Once you're done, you can click Submit Reply finally submit your thread.

aysiu
March 16th, 2008, 05:58 PM
If you are a beginner, you likely have a lot of questions (many new users often have three or four simultaneous support issues going on at once--perhaps one thread about getting wireless to work, one about how to install software, and one about user account management).

To find the threads you started, click on Search and select Find All Your Threads.

This will do a search for any thread in which you were the first person to post.

aysiu
March 16th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Marking your thread as solved is a great thing to do.

First of all, it lets those know who were helping you that their help worked.

More importantly, for other new users starting new threads (remember that automatic search when you start a new thread?), if they see a thread that's marked as solved, they know they're more likely to find a useful solution in that thread.

To mark your thread solved, go to Thead Tools and select Mark this thread as solved

Your thread should now have the prefix [SOLVED] in the subject title.

JoshuaRL
March 16th, 2008, 11:37 PM
As has been stated, there are many problems that have been solved before, and you should attempt to find them first before posting a new thread asking for help. That's why this is a forum and not a PM portal, it's an index of searchable knowledge. You can try both the forum-hosted search or through Google.

So at the top right of every page on the forums is a search field. From there you can search whatever you are looking for. One thing to keep in mind is that if you are in either a main forum or a subforum when you search, you will only search within there. So a good idea when using the forum's search feature is go to the main ubuntuforums.org homepage before searching. A quick way to do this is to go to the top left and click the Ubuntu Forums logo.

So how is the best way to search through the forum field? Just like every search feature, you should attempt to be both precisce and vague at the same time. You can do it however you want, but the way I do it is I try real basic terms in the search string and keep adding in bits until I find relevant information. For instance, I have an Nvidia 8400GS video card. If I had problems with it, I could search for "Nvidia" and add in terms like "8400" "GS" "GeForce" (and other terms like the problem I'm having) "vesa driver" "desktop effects" "compiz". Another good idea is to mix around which terms you use together to see if it brings up different results.

One important thing to remember about searching in the forum's search field is that it ranks everything by last post. So the newest ones may not solve your problem, or even have much to do with it. That's where Google comes in handy.

Google is an excellent resource for both general searches and searching inside the Ubuntu Forums, and many consider it better than the search inside the forums. You would use the same techniques, and add a special tag to the search string:

site:ubuntuforums.org

Just make sure you put that in the search field and Google will search strictly within the Ubuntu Forums site. You can also do this with the Ubuntu help wiki:

site:help.ubuntu.com/community/

Using these techniques you should be able to find exactly what you need.

aysiu
March 17th, 2008, 12:15 AM
One important thing to remember about searching in the forum's search field is that it ranks everything by last post. So the newest ones may not solve your problem, or even have much to do with it. That's where Google comes in handy. As an example, I'm attaching a forum search of the phrase broadcom ndiswrapper and then a Google search for
broadcom ndiswrapper site:ubuntuforums.org

Sef
March 18th, 2008, 09:25 AM
By subscribing you will have the choice of being contact either only in your Suscribed Threads Folder or in your Suscribed Threads Folder and your email.

Subscribed Threads is useful when you want to check on new posts in a thread. The Subscribed Threads can be your own request for help, a thread you find useful, or a thread that you want to follow.

To access the Suscribed Threads Folder: User CP > Suscribed Threads Folder. (User CP is located next to HOME on the top bar.)

To suscribe:

1) Before hitting submit reply: go down to Additional Options > Thread Subscription > Select Desired Setting > Click Submit Reply

2) After hitting submit reply: in your post, click on Edit > Go Advanced > go down to Additional Options > Thread Subscription > Select Desired Subscription > Click Submit Reply

The subscription options are about how you want your email notification sent.

(You will always receive a notification immediately in Subscribed Threads.)

a) No email notification - No email sent.

b) Instant email notification - Email is only sent for the first new post to the thread. To get newer replies to the thread, you will have to visit the forum again.

c) Daily email notification - Email sent once a day with all new posts.

d) Weekly email notification - Email sent once a week with all new posts.

Lord Illidan
March 18th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Another issue that has come into mind is forum members who simply skim over a question and give a stock answer, which sometimes doesn't really have to do with the problem at all, and can be misleading.

If you're not sure about an answer, don't post just to increase your post count. It's tempting to do so, but it can result in confusion for the OP, and for any other people reading the thread. What you can do is do a quick google search related to the member's problem and give him a link or two, for instance.

And as to the Original Poster, I say, please be specific. Give as much information as you can about your problem. Simply saying "I don't have internet" is not a good way of seeking help.

It might be a good idea to put your computer specifications in your signature, so that everybody knows what hardware you're running.

Also, if you don't understand a command that someone else has posted, please feel free to ask for further clarification before using the command. Some of us, me included, are so used to the commands that we just fire them out without any explanation. Sorry.

LaRoza
March 22nd, 2008, 02:01 AM
You will see that different users have different colour names. Here is a rundown on the meaning of the colours:

Black: Members of the forum. (I will explain this later)
Red: Forum Moderators
Dark Red: Forum Administrators
Green: LoCo Team Moderators
Brown: Developers
Purple: Hackers

This Page (http://ubuntuforums.org/showgroups.php) lists all forum leaders/staff/groups. On your profile, under group memberships (http://ubuntuforums.org/profile.php?do=editusergroups), you can request to join a group. If you are a member of that group you can choice to identify as a member. For example, I am a Forum Moderator, and a member of two teams, I can only identify as one at a time. If I identify as a member of either team, my name will be black. Most people identify with the group they are in that is the most unique, rarely do moderators identify as not being members of the moderator's group.

pmasiar
March 22nd, 2008, 10:40 PM
What is difference between developers and hackers?

LaRoza
March 23rd, 2008, 05:34 AM
What is difference between developers and hackers?

Purple isn't a colour that is available, therefore, anybody with it has hacked the forum. (I should have used the word "cracker", but I didn't want to sound racist)

hhhhhx
March 23rd, 2008, 06:43 AM
You will see that different users have different colour names. Here is a rundown on the meaning of the colours:
Black: Members of the forum. (I will explain this later)
Red: Forum Moderators
Dark Red: Forum Administrators
Green: LoCo Team Moderators
Brown: Developers
Purple: Hackers
also the specialty beens:
Ubuntu Forum Staff: Staff
Burnt Beens: Banished
Day old Decaf: ??

pmasiar
March 24th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Purple isn't a colour that is available, therefore, anybody with it has hacked the forum. (I should have used the word "cracker", but I didn't want to sound racist)

ah, in that case "hacker" is the right term. It was not malicious, so it is not cracking :-)

sub2007
March 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I hope this tutorial will be helpful. This is not a tutorial as such but more of an explanation of how to use certain features (thanks to psmasiar as I used a screenshot of your post to help with this tutorial - it's only because it was the first post at hand).

Explaining posts

This diagram shows you what a typical post looks like. Relevant parts are numbered which we will be referring to later.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=63630&d=1206362983

1. This is the members username. Your username will appear with every post you make, and as mentioned previously the usernames are colour coded so you can tell if say a moderator has made the post.

2. This is the rank. As your post count (the number of posts you have made) increases, the rank image will change and the words that appear under the rank image will also change.

3. This is called an avatar, and is a custom image that a member uploads to add originality to their posts. You can choose an avatar for yourself by going into the User Control Panel (under Quick Links at the top of the page).

4. This area gives information about the poster, such as when they joined and how many posts they have made. The member may have added information to their profile, like where they are from and which Linux distro they use, which will also show up here. You can add those to your profile by choosing Edit Profile from Quick Links.

5. This has two icons.

The first (the little yellow circle) is an online indicator. If the circle is yellow it means that the member is currently online.
The second is REPORT. If you think the post was inappropriate (like advertising or using bad language) then you can press this button and it will send a report to the moderators. So you use this button whenever you think that a post needs a moderators attention.

6. This is the main post area. The title of the post will appear above the post with the post number. This post happens to have a quote attached to it which will be explained further down.

The area under the line is called a signature, and is a piece of text that can be attached to every post. You can edit your own signature with the Quick Links.

7. This group of icons allows you to reply to the post. From left to right they are:

QUOTE: pressing this button will open a new message window. It will contain the post that you clicked QUOTE on so you can write a reply to it. It's useful if you want to reply to a something that was posted and want to remind other members of which post you are replying to. The post will appear wrapped in the following BBCode tags: [quote]['/quote] and so if you write before that the quoted message will appear after what you wrote, if you write after it then the quoted message will appear before what you wrote.

MULTIQUOTE: if you want to reply to several posts then you can use the multiquote. You press this button on each post that you want to quote. You then press "Post Reply" and it will open a new message window containing all the posts that you pressed multiquote to. Each post will appear in the new message window wrapped in [quote] tags, so you can add individual replies after each message.

QUICK REPLY: pressing this button on any post on the page will activate the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the page.

THANK: if you thought the information in the post was helpful then you can press this button and it will give a "Thanks" to the member that posted it.

Also, if it is one of YOUR posts only then an EDIT icon will show next to the QUOTE button. This will allow you to edit a post after you have posted it. After a certain timeout, the words "Last Edited by.. x minutes ago" will be added to the bottom of the post.

LaRoza
April 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM
You see threads that are called Stickies in the various sub forums. They can only be set by staff (but any thread can be stickied).

Stickies should be important threads that are worth having up front. If you see a sticky with bad advise, or it is out of date, report it so it can be altered or unstickied.

Too many stickies reduce their efficiency. Sticky proliferation can be a problem, so the staff usually discuss stickies before stickying them.

If you see a thread that is constantly being referenced, or is a very good guide to the forums topic, it may be a good sticky. To request a sticky, post in this forum and give a link to the thread so it can be reviewed.

It is alright to ask for a thread you created to be stickied if it was meant to be such a thread.

LaRoza
May 30th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Under each poster's profile on each post on the forum, you see a button for reporting posts:

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/9157/reportqu4.th.png (http://img131.imageshack.us/my.php?image=reportqu4.png)

If you click on it, you will be sent to a page that looks like:

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/8071/200805301355251280x1024pz2.th.png (http://img102.imageshack.us/my.php?image=200805301355251280x1024pz2.png)

This feature of the forum is what enables less than 40 staff to manage a forum of over 500.000 members. This report feature can be used for more than it is stated on the note on the report page. It is used to report:

Spam
Flamebait, illegal content, inappropriate content, profanity, and other violates of the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
Inappropriate tags on a thread.
Threads to be moved to a more appropriate forum. Threads are often posted in forum that they shouldn't be in. This is a common mistake because of the size of the forum and reporting it to be moved allows the poster to get the best help and it keeps the forum organized.
Recurring Discussions
Necromancing/Archaeology (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5086471&postcount=22)
Anything else that would require a staff member to review.

This feature should not be used for:

Technical support or to thank the other posts.
Things that the staff don't need to see.

If a spammer is reading this, please report your own threads. It makes our lives easier.

noynac
May 31st, 2008, 12:25 AM
...Please feel free to add your own tutorials to this thread, if you think they'd be helpful to new users--only tutorials on how to use the forums, not on how to use Ubuntu.

I don't have a tutorial but hoped it would be OK to raise an issue. Forum members requesting help will occasionally post screenful after screenful of computer output. The following is one example:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=812879

Is this acceptable or should computer output such as this be put in a text file and attached. Or is there some other way to handle this? Thanks!

yaztromo
May 31st, 2008, 12:28 AM
LaRoza I'm reporting you.

aysiu
May 31st, 2008, 12:34 AM
I don't have a tutorial but hoped it would be OK to raise an issue. Forum members requesting help will occasionally post screenful after screenful of computer output. The following is one example:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=812879

Is this acceptable or should computer output such as this be put in a text file and attached. Or is there some other way to handle this? Thanks!
It should be put in
put code here tags.

For example, what you linked to should be
hp-check[6129]: info: :
Initializing. Please wait...
Ubuntu

scheduler is running

Linux HumbleServant 2.6.24-17-generic #1 SMP Thu May 1 14:31:33 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

hp-check[6129]: info: :---------------
hp-check[6129]: info: :| SYSTEM INFO |
hp-check[6129]: info: :---------------
hp-check[6129]: info: :Basic system information:
hp-check[6129]: info: :Linux HumbleServant 2.6.24-17-generic #1 SMP Thu May 1 14:31:33 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

hp-check[6129]: info: :Distribution:
hp-check[6129]: info: :ubuntu 8.04
HPOJ running?
hp-check[6129]: info: :No, HPOJ is not running (OK).
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking Python version...
hp-check[6129]: info: :OK, version 2.5.2 installed
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking PyQt version...
hp-check[6129]: info: :OK, version 3.17 installed.
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking SIP version...
error: SIP not installed or version not found.
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for CUPS...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Status: scheduler is running
hp-check[6129]: info: :Version: 1.3.7
hp-check[6129]: info: :error_log is set to level: warn
note: For troubleshooting printing issues, it is best to have the CUPS 'LogLevel'
note: set to 'debug'. To set the LogLevel to debug, edit the file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf (as root),
note: and change the line near the top of the file that begins with 'LogLevel' to read:
note: LogLevel debug
note: Save the file and then restart CUPS (see your OS/distro docs on how to restart CUPS).
note: Now, when you print, helpful debug information will be saved to the file:
note: /var/log/cups/error_log
note: You can monitor this file by running this command in a console/shell:
note: tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dbus/python-dbus...
hp-check[6129]: info: :dbus daemon is running.
hp-check[6129]: info: :python-dbus version: 0.82.4
hp-check[6129]: info: :------------------------------------
hp-check[6129]: info: :| COMPILE AND RUNTIME DEPENDENCIES |
hp-check[6129]: info: :------------------------------------
note: To check for compile-time only dependencies, re-run hp-check with the -c parameter (ie, hp-check -c).
note: To check for run-time only dependencies, re-run hp-check with the -r parameter (ie, hp-check -r).
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: cups - Common Unix Printing System...
hp-check[6129]: info: :OK, found.
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: cups-ddk - CUPS driver development kit...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: cups-devel- Common Unix Printing System development files...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: dbus - Message bus system...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter and previewer...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: libjpeg - JPEG library...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: libpthread - POSIX threads library...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: libtool - Library building support services...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: libusb - USB library...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: PIL - Python Imaging Library (required for commandline scanning with hp-scan)...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: ppdev - Parallel port support kernel module....
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: PyQt - Qt interface for Python...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: python-ctypes - A foreign function library for Python...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: python-dbus - Python bindings for dbus...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: python-devel - Python development files...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: Python 2.3 or greater - Required for fax functionality...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming language...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: Reportlab - PDF library for Python...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: SANE - Scanning library...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: SANE - Scanning library development files...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: scanimage - Shell scanning program...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for dependency: xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE...
hp-check[6129]: info: :----------------------
hp-check[6129]: info: :| HPLIP INSTALLATION |
hp-check[6129]: info: :Currently installed HPLIP version...
hp-check[6129]: info: :HPLIP 2.8.5 currently installed in '/usr/share/hplip'.
hp-check[6129]: info: :Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
hp-check[6129]: info: :# hplip.conf. Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.

[hpssd]
# Note: hpssd does not support dynamic ports
# Port 2207 is the IANA assigned port for hpssd
port=2207

[hplip]
version=2.8.5

[dirs]
home=/usr/share/hplip
run=/var/run
ppd=/usr/share/ppd/hpijs/HP
ppdbase=/usr/share/ppd/hpijs
doc=/usr/share/doc/hplip-2.8.5
icon=/usr/share/applications
cupsbackend=/usr/lib/cups/backend
cupsfilter=/usr/lib/cups/filter
drv=/usr/share/cups/drv/hp/

# Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
[configure]
network-build=yes
pp-build=no
gui-build=yes
scanner-build=yes
fax-build=yes
dbus-build=yes
cups11-build=no
doc-build=yes
shadow-build=no
foomatic-drv-install=yes
foomatic-ppd-install=no
foomatic-rip-hplip-install=yes
internal-tag=2.8.5.23

hp-check[6129]: info: :--------------------------
hp-check[6129]: info: :| DISCOVERED USB DEVICES |
hp-check[6129]: info: :--------------------------
hp-check[6129]: info: :---------------------------------
hp-check[6129]: info: :| INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES |
hp-check[6129]: info: :---------------------------------
hp-check[6129]: info: :640_Series
hp-check[6129]: info: :----------
hp-check[6129]: info: :Type: Unknown
hp-check[6129]: info: :Installed in HPLIP?: No, not using the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend.
hp-check[6129]: info: :Device URI: usb://Lexmark%20/640%20Series
hp-check[6129]: info: :PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/640_Series.ppd
hp-check[6129]: info: :PPD Description: Generic text-only printer
hp-check[6129]: info: :Printer status: printer 640_Series is idle. enabled since Thu 29 May 2008 08:02:13 PM MYT

warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend to function in HPLIP.
hp-check[6129]: info: :Deskjet_D1300_series
hp-check[6129]: info: :--------------------
hp-check[6129]: info: :Type: Printer
hp-check[6129]: info: :Installed in HPLIP?: Yes, using the hp: CUPS backend.
hp-check[6129]: info: :Device URI: hp:/usb/Deskjet_D1300_series?serial=CN73T1J04304ND
hp-check[6129]: info: :PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet_D1300_series.ppd
hp-check[6129]: info: :PPD Description: HP DeskJet D1300 Foomatic/hpijs, hpijs 2.8.2
hp-check[6129]: info: :Printer status: printer Deskjet_D1300_series is idle. enabled since Thu 29 May 2008 08:02:14 PM MYT

warning: Unable to connect to dbus. Is hp-systray running?
hp-check[6129]: info: :Communication status: Good
hp-check[6129]: info: :HP_LaserJet_P1006
hp-check[6129]: info: :-----------------
hp-check[6129]: info: :Device URI: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_P1006?serial=AB08LZP
hp-check[6129]: info: :PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP_LaserJet_P1006.ppd
hp-check[6129]: info: :PPD Description: HP LaserJet P1006 Foomatic/foo2xqx (recommended)
hp-check[6129]: info: :Printer status: printer HP_LaserJet_P1006 is idle. enabled since Fri 30 May 2008 06:33:29 PM MYT

hp-check[6129]: info: :Required plug-in status: Installed
hp-check[6129]: info: :HP_LaserJet_P1006_1
hp-check[6129]: info: :-------------------
hp-check[6129]: info: :PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP_LaserJet_P1006_1.ppd
hp-check[6129]: info: :PPD Description: HP LaserJet P1006 Foomatic/hpijs-ZJS (recommended)
hp-check[6129]: info: :Printer status: printer HP_LaserJet_P1006_1 is idle. enabled since Fri 30 May 2008 06:34:48 PM MYT

hp-check[6129]: info: :HP_LaserJet_P1006_2
hp-check[6129]: info: :-------------------
hp-check[6129]: info: :PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP_LaserJet_P1006_2.ppd
hp-check[6129]: info: :PPD Description: HP LaserJet P1006 Foomatic/hpijs-ZJS (recommended)
hp-check[6129]: info: :Printer status: printer HP_LaserJet_P1006_2 is idle. enabled since Fri 30 May 2008 06:58:21 PM MYT

hp-check[6129]: info: :PDF
hp-check[6129]: info: :---
hp-check[6129]: info: :Type: Unknown
hp-check[6129]: info: :Installed in HPLIP?: No, not using the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend.
hp-check[6129]: info: :Device URI: cups-pdf:/
hp-check[6129]: info: :PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/PDF.ppd
hp-check[6129]: info: :PPD Description: Generic PDF file generator
hp-check[6129]: info: :Printer status: printer PDF is idle. enabled since Wed 23 Apr 2008 01:54:42 AM MYT

warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend to function in HPLIP.
hp-check[6129]: info: :| SANE CONFIGURATION |
hp-check[6129]: info: :'hpaio' in '/etc/sane.d/dll.conf'...
hp-check[6129]: info: :OK, found. SANE backend 'hpaio' is properly set up.
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking output of 'scanimage -L'...

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,

check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the

sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation

which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

hp-check[6129]: info: :---------------------
hp-check[6129]: info: :| PYTHON EXTENSIONS |
hp-check[6129]: info: :---------------------
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking 'cupsext' CUPS extension...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking 'pcardext' Photocard extension...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking 'hpmudext' I/O extension...
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking 'scanext' SANE scanning extension...
hp-check[6129]: info: :| USB I/O SETUP |
hp-check[6129]: info: :Checking for permissions of USB attached printers...
HP Device 0x7804 at 006:002:
hp-check[6129]: info: : Device URI: hp:/usb/Deskjet_D1300_series?serial=CN73T1J04304ND
hp-check[6129]: info: : Device node: /dev/bus/usb/006/002
hp-check[6129]: info: : Mode: 0666
hp-check[6129]: info: :getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names

# file: dev/bus/usb/006/002

# owner: root

# group: lp

user::rw-

user:isaiah:rw-

group::rw-

mask::rw-

other::rw-

HP Device 0x3e17 at 003:003:
hp-check[6129]: info: : Device URI: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_P1006?serial=AB08LZP
hp-check[6129]: info: : Device node: /dev/bus/usb/003/003
hp-check[6129]: info: : Mode: 0666
hp-check[6129]: info: :getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names

# file: dev/bus/usb/003/003

# owner: root

# group: lp

user::rw-

user:isaiah:rw-

group::rw-

mask::rw-

other::rw-

hp-check[6129]: info: :-----------
hp-check[6129]: info: :| SUMMARY |
hp-check[6129]: info: :-----------
error: 3 errors and/or warnings.
hp-check[6129]: info: :Please refer to the installation instructions at:
hp-check[6129]: info: :http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/index.html

hp-check[6129]: info: :Done.

LaRoza
May 31st, 2008, 07:59 PM
Sometimes the forum staff will close threads that do not explicitly violate the Code of Conduct.

You agree that the web-master, administrators and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any post, topic or thread at any time they see fit following the guidelines outlined below.

See this decision: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5060240

It is discouraged that anyone post on old and inactive threads. This is for several reasons:

The thread may be outdated.
The posters who originally posted may not be active on the forums or have forgotten about the thread.
And most importantly, you will most likely get better responses on your own thread in the new support area.

Here is how to make a new thread: How to make a thread on the forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4527023&postcount=3).

Also, some old threads are now Recurring Discussions, see Recurring Discussions criteria (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=561944). Old threads could have been dealing with new issues at the time, but have since been deemed old news. Posting on such old inactive threads can be resolved by closing the thread because there are active threads in Recurring Discussions instead of moving them.

Note, not all posts on old threads are considered archaeology. If a thread has been inactive, and the poster is on topic, it is probably not a case. If you see random threads that have been inactive for over a year, then it is likely a necromance.

Please only report (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5079410&postcount=18") only threads that are cases of necromancing/archaeology

noynac
June 2nd, 2008, 07:07 AM
...Note, not all posts on old threads are considered archaeology. If a thread has been inactive, and the poster is on topic, it is probably not a case. If you see random threads that have been inactive for over a year, then it is likely a necromance.

Please only report (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5079410&postcount=18") only threads that are cases of necromancing/archaeology

I read the above and reviewed another posting on what constitutes a necromance, and I'm still not clear what is and isn't. I know it's not important for me to know the difference, but I wondered if the following thread would qualify or not:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=233191&highlight=scrot

p_quarles
June 2nd, 2008, 07:16 AM
I wondered if the following thread would qualify or not:

Yes.

LaRoza
June 2nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
I read the above and reviewed another posting on what constitutes a necromance, and I'm still not clear what is and isn't. I know it's not important for me to know the difference, but I wondered if the following thread would qualify or not:

Yes it would.

Generally, when the thread has been dormant for years, bring it back is a case of archaeology.

cyberdork33
June 2nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Generally, when the thread has been dormant for years, bring it back is a case of archaeology.

Just curious, is there not an option in this forum software that allow auto-locking a thread if it has been dormant for X amount of time? Locking old threads would force users to post something new (or at least reply to something current).

LaRoza
June 2nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Just curious, is there not an option in this forum software that allow auto-locking a thread if it has been dormant for X amount of time? Locking old threads would force users to post something new (or at least reply to something current).

Such an option is not used. There are valid reasons for long living threads.

There was a discussion on such a scheme, but necromancing is rather rare (also, the forum is technically young, as is Ubuntu, so I doubt it was considered in the beginning) and it was found too restrictive.

aysiu
June 14th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Other useful forum markups in addition to

Italicize
Italicize

Bold
Bold

Underline
Underline

Quoted phrase

Quoted phrase

List item 1 List item 2 List item 3
List item 1 List item 2 List item 3

unutbu
June 23rd, 2008, 12:34 AM
How did sub2007 put a picture in the body of his post?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4576145&postcount=16

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
How did sub2007 put a picture in the body of his post?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4576145&postcount=16

http://itsuki.fkraiem.org/stuff/google.gif

[img]http://itsuki.fkraiem.org/stuff/google.gif

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 12:46 AM
Many times you want to post an image on the forum. There are several ways of doing this. I will show the forums inbuilt functions first, then I will show what I do.

First, the image has to have a URI, for pictures on the web already, this is easy to get.

See this wikipedia page for the screenshot of Ubuntu 8.04: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu

Clicking on it gets you the image information page, and then click that image to get the image itself. For most web pages, you can right click an image and copy the URI, and then paste it (how depends on the browser)

Here is the URI of that screenshot: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Ubuntu_8.04.png

To post an image with just code, you use the tags, with the URI of the image included.

So:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Ubuntu_8.04.png

In the GUI editor, the picture of the mountains and and sun (it is mostly yellow) will give you a dialog to automatically paste the code, just give it the URI of the image.

That will embed the image in the post. For larger images, you should use thumbnails (images that are small, but are linked to the larger version).

To attach one to a post, you use the paper clip icon and upload it from there.

My preferred way of posting images is to use: http://imageshack.us/

Without an account, you can upload images (<3 MB) and you get the code to paste the entire image or a thumbail (in a forum, blog, and website). You can also resize images and use some more options. With an account, you get more features.

Here is a picture I took in Maine uploaded onto Imageshack.us:

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/4987/img0183tp2.th.jpg (http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0183tp2.jpg)

unutbu
June 23rd, 2008, 12:50 AM
Edit: question answered. Thanks!

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 12:52 AM
What is the easiest way to get an image from my hard drive posted in the body of a post?

See above tutorial.

Easiest way is to use the forum's attachment feature (the paperclip), but it isn't that flexible (see the little thumbnail at the bottom of my post)

The more flexible (and easy) way is to use a service like imageshack.

EDIT: I see you editted it quickly when you saw the tutorial I just wrote. That tutorial is now in the sticky, so it isn't worded to be me to you, but me to everyone.

unutbu
June 23rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
I like the idea of ubuntuforums being a stand-alone repository of knowledge. I'd rather not link to pictures from outside sources like imageshack (even though it is a neat service), since if imageshack were to go down then ubuntuforum's knowledge repo would also be altered.

It appears then that the workaround is to upload the picture as an attachment first, post, then find out the URI of the picture (something of the form
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=xxxx&d=xxxx)
then edit the post to include the picture in the body of the text with the [img] tag.

aysiu
June 23rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
I'd highly recommend uploading the images to the forums, as some of us have rather small screens, and the thumbnail gives us a general idea of the image, and we can always click on it to get the larger image.

forestpixie
June 23rd, 2008, 05:37 PM
I'd highly recommend uploading the images to the forums, as some of us have rather small screens, and the thumbnail gives us a general idea of the image, and we can always click on it to get the larger image.

+1

Not that I have a small screen - but I get a bit fed up having to download big images when there is no need.

If you were unlucky enough to still have a dial up - I expect it would be even more annoying.

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
+1

Not that I have a small screen - but I get a bit fed up having to download big images when there is no need.

If you were unlucky enough to still have a dial up - I expect it would be even more annoying.

Or use an Eee like some people on this forum...

forestpixie
June 23rd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Thought I saw one once - but wasn't sure because I couldn't see the screen :)

But all joking asside, it is a pain in the proverbial when people think it's great to show everyone how big an image they can get on the forum grrr..

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
But all joking asside, it is a pain in the proverbial when people think it's great to show everyone how big an image they can get on the forum grrr..

I agree. The worst part is when they are reported, the copy of the post can't be edited, so we are stuck with reports with large images.

forestpixie
June 23rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Perhaps I shall post some absolutely enormous ones and report them, then suggest here that the forum is changed so that only thumbnails can be used :lol:

And no threats :)

plucky
June 25th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Searched this thread and could not find this information which I found useful and keep a hardcopy next to my computer.

BB Code List (http://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=bbcode)

LaRoza
June 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Searched this thread and could not find this information which I found useful and keep a hardcopy next to my computer.

BB Code List (http://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=bbcode)

I will add it to the sticky.

unutbu
July 30th, 2008, 07:06 PM
How to post code:

Make sure your editor has extra formatting controls enabled:

Click "User CP", then click "Edit options"

At the bottom of the page select "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls"

When you make a post, paste in the code, select it with the mouse, then click the # button

The # button places
... tags around the text for you. Alternatively, you can just type in the
... tags yourself, but I find using the # button easier.

paul101
July 30th, 2008, 07:46 PM
this thread should be a sticky!

LaRoza
July 30th, 2008, 10:52 PM
this thread should be a sticky!

See the Guide to Forum Features sticky. Easier to search.

jw5801
August 14th, 2008, 11:56 AM
How to post code:

(1) Make sure your editor has extra formatting controls enabled:

Click "User CP", then click "Edit options"
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79496&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1217440516 (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79496&d=1217440516)

At the bottom of the page select "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls"
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79497&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1217440516 (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79497&d=1217440516)

(2) When you make a post, paste in the code, select it with the mouse, then click the pound (#) button
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79498&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1217440516 (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79498&d=1217440516)

(3) The pound button places
... tags around the text for you. Alternatively, you can just type in the
... tags yourself, but I find using the pound button easier.
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79499&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1217440516 (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79499&d=1217440516)

# = hash, = pound

I'm linking your post in my signature, so I thought I'd correct the typographical terminology. Also [noparse] tags! Didn't know they existed until I clicked quote. The things you learn...

aysiu
August 14th, 2008, 06:05 PM
# = hash, = pound

I'm linking your post in my signature, so I thought I'd correct the typographical terminology. Also [noparse] tags! Didn't know they existed until I clicked quote. The things you learn...
I've moved further discussion about this to a new thread:
What's # called? Pound? Hash? Number sign? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=889804)

lynx shadow
December 1st, 2008, 05:15 AM
i don't see the make new post icon on the page. where is it exactly?

Once you've in the subforum you want to post in (Absolute Beginner, for example), click Make New Post to start a new thread for your problem.

Once you do that, you'll be able to create a thread title for your thread. Please pick one that actually gives an indication to others of what your thread is about. Avoid vague attention-seeking titles like Please help! I'm pulling my hair out! or If this is the kind of problem Ubuntu is going to give me, I'm going back to Windows or Help! I'm a noob. Urgent!

If it's a sound problem, say it's a sound problem. If it's a CD burning problem, say it's a CD burning problem.

Once you type your thread title and hit Tab, the forum will automatically search for threads on a similar topic. The idea is that many "new" questions have actually been asked and solved before. You can save yourself (and others) a lot of time and energy by just seeing if the answer might be out there for you, so feel free to middle-click these search results and see if any of them help. If they don't, continue to type your initial thread post.

In your thread's first post, please explain briefly your situation, what you've tried, and any other information that may be helpful to people who are not standing right behind you looking at your computer monitor.

overdrank
December 1st, 2008, 05:19 AM
i don't see the make new post icon on the page. where is it exactly?

New thread button see screen shot attached

arepaking
February 26th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Marking your thread as solved is a great thing to do.

First of all, it lets those know who were helping you that their help worked.

More importantly, for other new users starting new threads (remember that automatic search when you start a new thread?), if they see a thread that's marked as solved, they know they're more likely to find a useful solution in that thread.

To mark your thread solved, go to Thead Tools and select Mark this thread as solved

Your thread should now have the word [SOLVED] in the subject title.

Hi,
I followed this steps but I do not have that option. What should I do to mark it as solved?

jenkinbr
February 26th, 2009, 08:07 PM
as per this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1044714), that feature is disabled.

iam2
June 2nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Once you've in the subforum you want to post in (Absolute Beginner, for example), click Make New Post to start a new thread for your problem.

Thank you.

iam2
June 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM

I said "thank you" before I checked it out. Oops. Well, I cannot find the page for the 'subforums' with the "make new post" link, but I did find the page with a link to start a new thread. I presume they are one and the same thing. If not, please direct me to the subforum page. In fact, please tell me where the subforum page is so I will know anyway. Thanks.