PDA

View Full Version : In all seriousness, what does it do?

vexorian
March 16th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Hey, it is about to be a whole year since I migrated completely to Ubuntu, and just noticed I still haven't figured out something.

When you place your mouse above a music or video file in nautilus a message bubble with a musical note in it appears, I still don't know what that does :)

Is it an easter egg or just "cute candy"?

LaRoza
March 16th, 2008, 05:05 AM
It doesn't happen for me.

NightwishFan
March 16th, 2008, 05:06 AM
In 8.04 if I do this it plays the music file like a preview. No windows open but It will play until I move the mouse away.

vexorian
March 16th, 2008, 05:23 AM
What exactly doesn't happen?

FuturePilot
March 16th, 2008, 05:26 AM
If you install the package mpg123 and hover over an .mp3 file it will play. Also if you install vorbis-tools and hover over an .ogg audio file it will play also. It doesn't work in Gutsy though but it should work in Hardy again. Pretty cool feature.

ShodanjoDM
March 16th, 2008, 05:28 AM
In the Nautilus: Edit>>Preferences>>Preview

If you turn on the preview for sound files, you'll hear a preview (prehear? lol) of the sound/music file when the mouse hovers above it.

I haven't been able to make it works with Ubuntu Studio 7.10 though, although I've installed the mpg123 and some other packages as mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

But it used to work with 7.04.

Edit: hehe, FuturePilot beats me to it :D

vexorian
March 16th, 2008, 05:34 AM
But it used to work with 7.04 I actually had sound preview disabled for ages, but nothing happens, gonna try installing those packages...

LaRoza
March 16th, 2008, 05:47 AM
What exactly doesn't happen?

Is that a joke? Many things don't happen :)

(I don't get any popups)

ShodanjoDM
March 16th, 2008, 05:51 AM
(I don't get any popups)

But you can get popcorn :popcorn:

Sorry, can't resist :lolflag:

Chilli Bob
March 16th, 2008, 06:15 AM
This was a nice feature of Dapper, but I haven't had it work in any later release.

DarkDancer
March 16th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Well, it will work in Gutsy, but I hjad to go through hoops to get it working, then I reinstalled and while it's kinda cool, it wasn't worth the whole rig amoral.

MONODA
March 16th, 2008, 06:31 AM
you have to enable it in nautilus settings.

This did not work for me from before, neither did my shutdown sound, but one time my laptop ran out of batteries and the system shutdown unsafely, it worked after that ...

what is supposed to happen is if you mouse over on wav files, you should hear the clip and if you single click on ogg or mp3, it should play (untill you mouse the mouse away)

ryanhaigh
March 16th, 2008, 06:39 AM
From the breif period that I was using it I recall that it only works when in icon mode, which as it happens is the reason I don't use it :P

blithen
March 16th, 2008, 08:15 AM
In 8.04 if I do this it plays the music file like a preview. No windows open but It will play until I move the mouse away.
I did it with Feisty but it won't work in gutsy what do I change to make it do that?

vishzilla
March 16th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I was thinking about it couple of days back. Now I installed mpg123 and the audio preview is working

blithen
March 16th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I was thinking about it couple of days back. Now I installed mpg123 and the audio preview is working
I just installed it and it's not working. Any other dependencies you can think of?

vishzilla
March 16th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I dunno, I installed two packages, here is the log of it

Commit Log for Sun Mar 16 12:51:25 2008
Installed the following packages:
mpg123 (0.66-1)
oss-compat (0.0.4)

CREEPING DEATH
March 16th, 2008, 08:50 AM
It's a Gnome feature that plays the file, and for some reason it's disabled by default in Ubuntu.

CD

vexorian
March 16th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Installing those packages worked (feisty)

It's a Gnome feature that plays the file, and for some reason it's disabled by default in Ubuntu.

CD

I think I know the reason, for most users it might be a little annoying, and you need all those packages and codecs to make it work consistently, so it is nice as an optional feature.