PDA

View Full Version : Why the HECK are LCD monitors so expensive?? (long-winded post ahead)

Pogeymanz
March 16th, 2008, 02:59 AM
This post rambles so much, it borders on spam. I'm mostly just feeling bored and chatty.

I have a computer at my parents' house that nobody wants. It is a DELL something-or-other from 2000, with a PIII @ 1Ghz, 128MB RAM and a 20Gig HD. I still think that's a damn capable computer. I found that the max RAM is 512MB of pc133. So, I'm thinking: 1GHz with 512 RAM would be a great home system considering I'm a poor college student and only have a laptop computer here at school.

Ebay solved the RAM issue famously. Two sticks of 256MB for about $22 US, including shipping. And I recieved a "broken"/"unusable" 80Gig HD from my sister because her friend's dad swore that it was unsavable and she bought a new hard drive.

She did this without consulting me, obviously. I wouldn't have let her waste her money if I knew. It was her WinXP HD and she is always getting viruses. Well one of the viruses locked the hard drive, which I'd never even heard of before, but a few googles and 10 minutes and I had it wiped and good to go.

So now I have a PIII @ 1GHz, 512MB RAM with an 80Gig HD + 20Gig Slave. Not bad at all!

But, my problem is that I don't have a whole lot of space, let alone desk space! So I thought I would buy an flat screen monitor, so that it would tolerable to have this computer. My fiancee has her own desktop, and we share almost everything in our apartment, but she bought that computer and I have no right to start partitioning her HD and complicating her life by adding Linux to it. So, my point here is that we have a computer already taking up some desk space and that a big honkin old-school monitor is not acceptable in our current situation, but a flat monitor would probably be great.

So, the point of my whole post: I went on ebay to see if I could pick up the oldest/smallest thin monitor they make for cheap. But holy crap! People are selling totally broken LCD monitors for $50. I mean, these don't even turn on according to the postings and people are buying them. Rest assured that to get a working one, with dark spots even, is at least $100. That's a bummer! Maybe I can convince her to let the Ferrets go back to nature and use their cage area for a mini-desk.

No animals were harmed in the making of this post

PurposeOfReason
March 16th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Not the best two in the world, but what do I win? :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009132
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254018

I can vouch for the hanns:g. Really is amazing for what you pay. I had dualies of them for a while. However, I too wish monitors where a bit less.

LaRoza
March 16th, 2008, 03:07 AM
LCD's are not expensive IMO, as I am getting a 22" Widescreen for ~$280.

They are difficult to make, and have a higher failure rate during production. As production methods improve, the prices come down.

There are much better than they used to be, and will likely get better.

(People sell used computers and monitors for more than they are worth, they over estimate the value drastically)

http://www.amazon.com/X2Gen-Widescreen-Computer-Monitor-MW15A/dp/B000QGCS1W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1205633271&sr=1-5

Pogeymanz
March 16th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Well, I'm in no position to shell out $150 for what is, essentially, a minor luxury.

I just had no idea how expensive they were. I mean, you can buy a whole computer system with a flat monitor for like $300. Why in the world is half of that just the monitor?!:shock:

LaRoza
March 16th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Well, I'm in no position to shell out $150 for what is, essentially, a minor luxury.

I just had no idea how expensive they were. I mean, you can buy a whole computer system with a flat monitor for like $300. Why in the world is half of that just the monitor?!:shock:

Usually, the monitor is discounted when bought with a computer. (And I haven't seen a computer that cheap come with an LCD...)

When I bought my computer, I got $100 off any monitor I wanted.

Pogeymanz
March 16th, 2008, 03:11 AM
(People sell used computers and monitors for more than they are worth, they over estimate the value drastically)

That is so true. Man, I saw people selling computers similar to the one I have that I described above for $80, with less RAM and a smaller HD. Maybe I'm really cheap, but I wouldn't pay $80 for an 8 year old computer. I'd save up until I have enough to buy a really lame new computer. Or just start making payments on a new computer. Or something...

EDIT: I guess you're right. You start getting up to $550 for a cheap DELL with an LCD included. Boy, have I been skewed or what? Maybe being so cheap is ruining my ability to see a reasonable price. I guess I'll never win on "The Price is Right"

LaRoza
March 16th, 2008, 03:16 AM
That is so true. Man, I saw people selling computers similar to the one I have that I described above for $80, with less RAM and a smaller HD. Maybe I'm really cheap, but I wouldn't pay $80 for an 8 year old computer. I'd save up until I have $200 and buy a really lame new computer. Or just start making payments on a new computer. Or something...

I knew of an older person wanting to sell an old Compaq (2000-2001) for $700, and not a penny less.

Pogeymanz
March 16th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Well, I'm sorry for him/her! Was that how much he/she paid for it in 2000 or something?

EDIT: typo

EDIT: Grammar-nazi'd myself.

herbster
March 16th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I got my 26" for $500.

TheWizzard
March 16th, 2008, 11:44 AM
weak dollar?

intense.ego
March 16th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Perhaps you should just shop around. I did some really quick research and found this monitor (http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/657/864/-/3518317/BenQ-G900WA-19-TFT-Widescreen-Flat-Panel-Monitor/Product.html?searchtype=genre) for only 90 pounds ($180). Considering those are UK prices, you could probably get something as good for $130.

bobbocanfly
March 16th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Would you and your fiance need to be on the two computers at the same time? If not you could spend about $50 on a mini KVM switch and just switch the monitor between the two computers.

n3tfury
March 16th, 2008, 01:10 PM
lol "expensive"?

Pogeymanz
March 16th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Would you and your fiance need to be on the two computers at the same time? If not you could spend about $50 on a mini KVM switch and just switch the monitor between the two computers.

That's not a bad idea... I'll look into that.

teet
March 16th, 2008, 08:44 PM
If you can hold out for a while, wait until the day-after-thanksgiving sales. I got a 22" widescreen LCD for $150. They had 19" versions for $99.

Even though it was an AWESOME deal, it still seems kind of expensive to me...considering my desktop cost ~$300 two years ago when I built it.

-teet

dasunst3r
March 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I remember back when LCD monitors were new. They cost on the order of $700 to $1,000+. Right now, LCD monitors are relatively cheap, but being a college student, I don't have much money to go around these days.

DoktorSeven
March 16th, 2008, 08:59 PM
This is why I'm sticking with CRTs. Plus I absolutely can't stand looking at LCDs sometimes -- it seems like even the best ones have some sort of odd blurring effect when things are moving onscreen.

I'll take your old CRTs off your hands :)

tgalati4
March 16th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Look in craigslist.org. There are lots of high-quality CRT's that people are dumping. Look for the flat screen CRT's with Trinitron (either Sony or Dell). They make an excellent display. I've pulled a few decent CRT's off of the curbside to use as replacements when a client's machine takes a dump.

hessiess
March 16th, 2008, 10:21 PM
crt's are normally more accurate with colour and gamma. just compare with a good monitor calibration image (http://www.photofriday.com/calibrate.php)

just remember to run them at 75HZ or more

hhhhhx
March 16th, 2008, 10:22 PM
24" - 500$ - 1920 x 1200