PDA

View Full Version : The real reason we use linux.

billgoldberg
March 15th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I was browsing wordpress.com when I found this amusing blog post about why most linux users really use linux.

I completely agree with all his points.

Link (http://blog.anamazingmind.com/2008/03/real-reason-we-use-linux.html)

:p

The day linux is as common as OSX, i'm switching to BSD or solaris. hihi

O3.
March 15th, 2008, 11:29 PM
It's true.

Chame_Wizard
March 15th, 2008, 11:36 PM
it's true ;We kick asses :lolflag:

lyceum
March 15th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I would not agree with #2, but 1 & 3, absolutely. I love tweaking the look and feel of my laptop. It is so easy! I keep saying I am happy, then go to gnome-look to see if there is something there I like more than what I have.

:popcorn:

billgoldberg
March 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Same here, I always love the desktop themes and icon themes I use.

But still I change them just because I can do it.

Barrucadu
March 16th, 2008, 12:11 AM
So true!

vexorian
March 16th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I agree with all of them, even though #2 could be misunderstood as "it is fun because it is difficult" .

It is mainly #1 and #3 anyways, the purpose of an OS is to give the user control over the hardware, it looks like somewhere in the path, OS/X and windows totally lost track of that and began to implement features to stop the user from using his hardware like he wants. (DRM for example)

Kernel Sanders
March 16th, 2008, 12:14 AM
The real reason I use Linux is that I like to own the software I use rather than just licence it, and i'm free as in freedom when I do.

hessiess
March 16th, 2008, 12:23 AM
i like linux becouse of the amount of controal it gives me over my system, so long as this remains true it dusnt matter how meany people are using, or not using it :)

interseting reed tho

FuturePilot
March 16th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Haha, that's so true. Linux is fun. :D

hhhhhx
March 16th, 2008, 12:44 AM
only too true :)

days_of_ruin
March 16th, 2008, 01:00 AM
i like linux becouse of the amount of controal it gives me over my system, so long as this remains true it dusnt matter how meany people are using, or not using it :)

interseting reed tho

Yah if the number of people who used it was a factor why would
ubuntu be so popular?

init1
March 16th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Hit the nail on the head :D
I agree with all points

bobbocanfly
March 16th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Another point (that is important to me) is that development is so easy to get involved it. The chances of me (a 15 year old) getting in to develop Windows is about zero, while i can just jump into #ubuntu-motu and find which bugs need fixing.

Not sure i agree so much with point 2 but 1 and 3 are completely true.

haggus
March 16th, 2008, 02:52 AM
"antidisestablishmentarianism" lol I agree I probably use this because I like to play and learn besides it's funny listening to a guy who says my MS crashed because of some missing dll or something I had a friend bring me his xp machine and after checking it and finding it full of nothing but spyware and viruses and getting it to point where he can transfer his pictures and videos to a backup before doing a clean install. After three days of that I was back on my ubuntu smiling and doing whatever I wanted.:lolflag:

Pogeymanz
March 16th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I agree with the whole thing. That was a very fun read.

herbster
March 16th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I couldn't agree more, this doggone box is fun to use.