PDA

View Full Version : Post Office Broadband

t0p
March 15th, 2008, 12:15 AM
As this is the UK Team Forum, I guess this is the right place to post this. I don't really want to, as it doesn't seem like this particular board is visited all that often. But here goes anyway...

Anyone here used the Post Office Broadband service? Does the supplied router and everything work okay with Ubuntu? What's the actual service like - speeds, reliability, etc?

Here's hoping someone replies soonish... ;)

bossa
March 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
As this is the UK Team Forum, I guess this is the right place to post this. I don't really want to, as it doesn't seem like this particular board is visited all that often. But here goes anyway...

Anyone here used the Post Office Broadband service? Does the supplied router and everything work okay with Ubuntu? What's the actual service like - speeds, reliability, etc?

Dont know anything about the service but I would advise you to use this site for advice on ISP's etc. Very good and helpful. lots of useful info.
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/
My experience generally is is dont go for a 12 month contract.Dont commit your self before you know what the service is going to be like. I am with Virgin non cable and it is terrible . They have a fair use policy which they say is unlimited download during off peak hours. This invariably means you cannot download anything after work ie between 4-1pm.If you do your speed is capped for a week .

mjtunes
July 14th, 2010, 02:46 PM

Yes i am on post office broadband and the supplied equipment does work ok with ubuntu the service is ok the speeds diepend where u live i get the full 8meg tha they supply here but dont mean every 1 will

t0p
July 28th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks mjtunes for the reply. Thanks also to bossa for the link. I'll check it out.

mjtunes: one more question. If I get the home phone and broadband service from the post office, does that also include line rental? Or do I still have to pay BT for the line?

howefield
July 28th, 2010, 11:57 AM
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/content2?catId=68600711&mediaId=58000695&intcampaignid=PI0378

matchett808
July 28th, 2010, 12:02 PM
You are better off with virgin cable, cabl is always better than dsl....

...sorry more general than you where looking for but never had experience of PO BB but its another companies service that they resell....