PDA

View Full Version : Telemarketer pushing Linux classes?

Linuxratty
March 14th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Has anyone had a telemarketer call claiming you signed up for Linux classes?
Kerwin told me today he got two calls from someone wanting to speak to me and claiming I'd signed up for a Linux course.
WTF?
First off I didn't sign up for a Linux course. Next,how did they get my phone number?
But weirdest of all,how did they know i am interested inLinux?
I'm very careful and never put my personal info OL.
Even when i fill out forms that ask for a phone number,I change one diget so they can't annoy me.
I'm totally stumped though.
Any thoughts?

amingv
March 14th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Some thoughts:
a: Friend receives mail from Peter You<linuxratty@gmail.com>. Friend finds email hilarious. Friend forwards, without trimming. Wrong person receives email, searches for keywords (linuxratty == potential linux user). Peter You is in phone guide. Our telephone number.

b: Classmate has blog. Blog has entry "Peter You": "Peter is very smart in computer class, he gets straigh A's!!!. He uses some linux OS that i just can't get into. Oh well, computers were never my thing...". Crawler reads blog. Pwn3d.

I'm not saying this is what happened, but careless friends can reveal a lot of information about you. (Even if you're very careful).

LeoSolaris
March 14th, 2008, 11:44 PM
You may want to talk to the cops about it, actually. The way it comes across, it sounds like a scam, and that is still a crime. While learning about people online is not illegal, using it to claim that they owe you money is illegal. Although picking on Linux users to try to scam is a bit like poking a beehive. It's not like we are all that dumb usually, and even if one of use did, our sense of community would propel us to share it at a faster rate than is normal for scam announcements.

Talk to the cops after you actually talk to one of the calls. I have turned in two scams that have been running in the Classified around here. They used a money laundering scheme basically.

It's up to you, since it's you they're calling.
Leo

dmitrijledkov
March 15th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Even when i fill out forms that ask for a phone number,I change one diget so they can't annoy me.

Maybe they change one digit as well :lolflag: