PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to Compiling...

ShodanjoDM
March 14th, 2008, 10:15 PM
After several successful compile from the source attempts, now I find myself looking for more source packages in the repository.

I've just finished compiling fluxbox into a nice deb package, although I'm not sure if I ever going to install it though...

I think I'm addicted... Someone? Help me please? :lolflag:

miggols99
March 14th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Maybe you should use Gentoo :P Compiling times forever :)

xeth_delta
March 14th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Gentoo is indeed a great distro worth of considering, if you are interested in compiling a lot. I used for quite some time and enjoyed and learnt a lot from it. It was fast and light, but the disadvantage is that compiling can take an awfully long time for big packages. For instance it took me 8-10 hours to compile KDE and several related packages on a Pentium 4 @2.8GHz. It can be left to work over night, as long as the computer is in a different room, as the harddisk and fan noise can really disturb the sleep.

LaRoza
March 14th, 2008, 10:33 PM
After several successful compile from the source attempts, now I find myself looking for more source packages in the repository.

I've just finished compiling fluxbox into a nice deb package, although I'm not sure if I ever going to install it though...

I think I'm addicted... Someone? Help me please?

Maybe you could release it? Or join the MOTU?

hessiess
March 14th, 2008, 10:55 PM
learn c/c++, then you get to compile stuff all the time

ShodanjoDM
March 14th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Maybe you could release it? Or join the MOTU?

I tried to attach it but the 1.0mb file is just outside the limit of the attachment. But I don't think it's any different with the package in the repo... Well, other than a line in the changelog that it's a "compiling practice"...

I've just read the MOTU pages now, how difficult is it? Frankly speaking, the term is a bit scary for me... :lolflag"

ShodanjoDM
March 14th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Maybe you should use Gentoo :P Compiling times forever :)

Actually I've been considering to give Arch a try. Compared to Gentoo, which one is better?

For instance it took me 8-10 hours to compile KDE and several related packages on a Pentium 4 @2.8GHz. It can be left to work over night, as long as the computer is in a different room, as the harddisk and fan noise can really disturb the sleep.

I've insomnia for years and the pc is just beside my bed :mrgreen:

I'm currently saving to buy a new hd since this one is almost full. So no "heavyweight" compiling for now. Not until I got a bigger space :D

b3n87
March 15th, 2008, 12:52 AM
can you compile the lastest development version of banshee then post a link please :P