PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else excited today?

gflores
October 6th, 2005, 03:47 PM
I checked Distrowatch.com this morning and these were the headlines.
Mandriva 2006 released.
Ubuntu 5.10 RC released.
Suse 10.0 released.

The top three distros (at distrowatch) have a major release on the same day! I'm definitely going to give Suse 10 a try.

Edit: Can't wait until next week either! ;)

Cirkus
October 6th, 2005, 04:52 PM
I checked Distrowatch.com this morning and these were the headlines.
Mandriva 2006 released.
Ubuntu 5.10 RC released.
Suse 10.0 released.

The top three distros (at distrowatch) have a major release on the same day! I'm definitely going to give Suse 10 a try.

Edit: Can't wait until next week either! ;)
Dunno what's going on next week. The consensus around slashdot is that suse has jumped the shark so I'll probably skip it. Mandrake was an ok desktop, no idea what is different (if anything) in mandriva.

For now, I'm going to stick with XP and Ubuntu :D

Stormy Eyes
October 6th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Hmmm... time to fire up apt-get again.

Kapre
October 6th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the info. Will be d/l this (Ubuntu RC1) tonight so I can get rid of my problem with Colony1.

K

canadianwriterman
October 6th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Dunno what's going on next week. The consensus around slashdot is that suse has jumped the shark so I'll probably skip it. Mandrake was an ok desktop, no idea what is different (if anything) in mandriva.
For now, I'm going to stick with XP and Ubuntu :D

Next week is the scheduled final release of Breezy. P.S. What does "jump the shark mean"?

Cirkus
October 6th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Next week is the scheduled final release of Breezy. P.S. What does "jump the shark mean"?
It means SUSE has passed its' prime and can only go downhill from here. Here's the wikipedia entry for the phrase Jump The Shark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark) explains the origin of the phrase.

canadianwriterman
October 6th, 2005, 05:50 PM
It means SUSE has passed its' prime and can only go downhill from here. Here's the wikipedia entry for the phrase Jump The Shark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark) explains the origin of the phrase.

I learned something useful today... thanks! Man, I can think of plenty of applications for that phase.