PDA

View Full Version : Security Team

Dr Small
March 14th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Seeing how we have two teams on Ubuntu Forums for helping out with the Absolute Beginner Talk and the Unanswered Posts, I was wondering if we could have a Security Team to be a dedicated group of security minded users to help out with the Security Discussions.

Please post your thoughts on this, as to if this is a good idea or not. :)

Dr Small

LaRoza
March 14th, 2008, 07:23 PM
That would be a pretty good idea. Security is a "specialty" and a group devoted to it would make sense IMO.

OrangeCrate
March 14th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Let me know when it's up and running, I'd be happy to participate.

LaRoza
March 14th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Let me know when it's up and running, I'd be happy to participate.

I should clarify, Admins would make the decision (the Forum Council, actually). I am just a moderator.

Admin == Yog-Sothoth
Mod == Cthulhu

kevdog
March 15th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I think this is also a great idea being that security is one of the main selling points for linux!

Admin == Yog-Sothoth
Mod == Cthulhu

I need some translation help (decryption since we are talking security) for the above!

LaRoza
March 15th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Admin == Yog-Sothoth
Mod == Cthulhu

I need some translation help (decryption since we are talking security) for the above!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/58/CthulhumythosShrefflerchart.png

Dr Small
March 15th, 2008, 12:50 AM
And of course, I would be very willing to help out the team, if it does become approved. (Not sure if I stated that or not..)

Yeah LaRoza, what is that cryptic text?
Edit... Opps.

Dr Small

Joeb454
March 15th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I don't think a security team would be a bad idea :)

Especially because some beginners just use Linux to set up a cheap home server :)

bodhi.zazen
March 15th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Dr Small :)

I think the idea has merit.

FYI: There are a few ongoing activities at this time :

First security has been split from servers : http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=322

Second there is an IRC : #ubuntu-hardened

And on Launchpad :

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-hardened

So we might want to start by directing interested folks to the ubuntu-hardened team & seeing what grows from there :twisted:

ShodanjoDM
March 15th, 2008, 04:04 AM
So we might want to start by directing interested folks to the ubuntu-hardened team & seeing what grows from there :twisted:

Seems to me like a war preparation... :shock:
Hehe, I don't know if I can contribute anything, but I'd like to participate.

pmasiar
March 15th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Yup, I like to have experts bashing around best practices for security, or even 2-3 levels of security, devendent on paranoia level :-)

It is always educational to read what other people ask and think about different appraches, pro and con of them.

So asking for subforum will be next step? Or if mods above agree, was it already approved? Do we need a poll to count people who are for and against?

LaRoza
March 15th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Yup, I like to have experts bashing around best practices for security, or even 2-3 levels of security, devendent on paranoia level :-)

It is always educational to read what other people ask and think about different appraches, pro and con of them.

So asking for subforum will be next step? Or if mods above agree, was it already approved? Do we need a poll to count people who are for and against?

There is a Security Forum. This is asking for a team that would focus on it. (I am a member of the Beginner Team, and the Unanswered Posts team which focus on those issues) The team would have a sub forum like the others.

The Forum Council makes such decisions, not the mods (see my above ranking anology)

rune0077
March 16th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I should clarify, Admins would make the decision (the Forum Council, actually). I am just a moderator.

Admin == Yog-Sothoth
Mod == Cthulhu

Who are the regular users on this scale? The poor frail mortals being driven insane by your presence? :)

LaRoza
March 16th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Who are the regular users on this scale? The poor frail mortals being driven insane by your presence? :)

Deep Ones are the regular members, the Esoteric Order of Dagon are those wanting to use Linux, and the mere mortals driven insane are Windows users.

rune0077
March 16th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Deep Ones are the regular members, the Esoteric Order of Dagon are those wanting to use Linux, and the mere mortals driven insane are Windows users.

Oh great, so I'm a slimy, walking man-fish thingy now? Ah well, I guess it beats being a Windows user.

LaRoza
March 16th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Oh great, so I'm a slimy, walking man-fish thingy now? Ah well, I guess it beats being a Windows user.

You are immortal...

And you still get human companionship...verging on breaking CoC here, but I didn't write it

ShodanjoDM
March 16th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Now I know why I'm here... :D