PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft job has Linux/UNIX requirements!

lut4rp
March 14th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Okay, now this one really blew me! I had no idea stuff like this happened too! Guess Im still a bummer :)
Go DIGG THIS ONE!
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Microsoft_job_has_Linux_UNIX_requirements

mips
March 14th, 2008, 07:09 PM
What is the problem with it?

MS actaully has a OSS/Interoperabilty lab and they have hired some linux bigshots in the past.

This whole MS bashing thing is really tiring.

rickyjones
March 14th, 2008, 07:22 PM
What is the problem with it?

MS actaully has a OSS/Interoperabilty lab and they have hired some linux bigshots in the past.

I agree with everything that you posted.

rudihawk
March 14th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Okay, now this one really blew me! I had no idea stuff like this happened too! Guess Im still a bummer :)
Go DIGG THIS ONE!
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Microsoft_job_has_Linux_UNIX_requirements

Sigh so?

ODF
March 14th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I paid for a Microsoft product ... I have a XBOX360.

I'm such a monster.

NightwishFan
March 14th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I purchased an XBOX360, I happened to get a faulty one. Overall it was not bad, however, it still reeks of the corporation with everything about it. I sold it and I am either going to get a ps3 or a new pc. (Mainly to run Oblivion and the next Elder Scrolls game). Also because I really want a newer processor. The AMD Athlon x2 3800+ is good, but I cannot OC it.

Microsoft is a company I dislike and avoid, but I do not really wish to hate them.

ODF
March 14th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I purchased an XBOX360, I happened to get a faulty one. Overall it was not bad, however, it still reeks of the corporation with everything about it. I sold it and I am either going to get a ps3 or a new pc. (Mainly to run Oblivion and the next Elder Scrolls game). Also because I really want a newer processor. The AMD Athlon x2 3800+ is good, but I cannot OC it.

Microsoft is a company I dislike and avoid, but I do not really wish to hate them.

If you are in search of a company to hate you should try Sony. I think Sony is worst than Microsofts. Bill gates is giving almost all of his money after his death ... Sony corp is full of racists people with patriotic ideas.

But we still have 3 ps3. =(

NightwishFan
March 14th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I really do not like any of the companies that make consoles and pc gaming is rough since I avoid Windows at all costs. I guess its frozen bubble for me. :)

dca
March 14th, 2008, 08:52 PM
MS still needs people familiar w/ POSIX compliant OSs because I can't think of any router or network device running a regular or embedded vers of Windows...

LaRoza
March 14th, 2008, 08:54 PM
For those with the XBox 360's, be careful, there is a very high failure rate. It isn't a freak accident. The estimates for failure rates are shocking.

I have an XBox, which is more reliable.

ODF
March 14th, 2008, 08:57 PM
For those with the XBox 360's, be careful, there is a very high failure rate. It isn't a freak accident. The estimates for failure rates are shocking.

If you buy a 360 you have a 3 years warranty.

But that fail rate is now in the past.

If you buy a PS3 you have a machine with no good games to play with.

The only good thing to do with is installing linux.

dca
March 14th, 2008, 09:02 PM

Good point, Bill did put $1B USD in a slush fund to handle the mess that was uncovered. My sister got hers replaced free of charge minus the $14 to ship it to Redmond...

dca
March 14th, 2008, 09:04 PM

On the contrary. Sony/Blu-ray won the High Def wars against Toshiba and MS... Toshiba will stop manf their HD-DVD players (a'la the VHS/Beta wars). Now, if I want a Blu-ray player, why pay the $400 - $500 USD to get one? I'll go buy a PS3 and play the three games offered to it while playing 'No Country for Old Men' on high-def...

NightwishFan
March 14th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Original XBOX + Morrowind = win :)

cyberfin
March 14th, 2008, 09:20 PM
The only issue I have with MS is that they have been in a position for a very long time where they could have done so many good things... and didn't. It's more sad than enfuriating actually.

And yes, I think that the xbox360 is too expensive for what you get.

My two cents.

n3tfury
March 14th, 2008, 09:48 PM

no, it's much, much worse.

ODF
March 15th, 2008, 03:57 AM
On the contrary. Sony/Blu-ray won the High Def wars against Toshiba and MS... Toshiba will stop manf their HD-DVD players (a'la the VHS/Beta wars). Now, if I want a Blu-ray player, why pay the $400 - $500 USD to get one? I'll go buy a PS3 and play the three games offered to it while playing 'No Country for Old Men' on high-def...

Thats what we did at the PS3 launch. We bough 3 of them to play blueray.

Some kids were angry because we used them this way.

Since sony is losing money with their console ... It was fun.

tsimpoyris
March 15th, 2008, 04:54 AM
If you want to play games,give 300$ get an xbox360 , flash it yourself with no cost at all and play your heart out. If you want to watch HD movies give 150$ for an external Blueray/hddvd player and a dvi cable connect your pc to the tv and voila! if you want to throw away 400$ buy a ps3...not worth as a blue ray player cause mini pc's at that price are way better(bored to write 1000 reasons why) Anyways offtopic....
I believe that microsoft has great management in everything except the zune only because apple has better with the ipod. And recruiting Linux/unix developers is the smartest thing they can do...Note that windows may be crappy as an O/S but my mother who knows absolutely nothing about pc's can set it up and use it. I believe it's all about management...This isn't school games, who's stealing or whatever...This is business, and a company must make moves to be the best...Everything is allowed...If people want to pay for something that sucks butt...then let them, i use Linux! i also use cracked vista for msn and dota ^^ When wine emulates msn messenger, it's bye bye windows for me (maybe not for my mom, but wtf who cares? :P)

vishzilla
March 15th, 2008, 05:40 AM
:twisted:

jdgiotta
March 16th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Since sony is losing money with their console ... It was fun.

If that were true. Sony was cash flow positive 2 weeks after Microsoft was cash flow positive with XBox 360.

On another note, I'd think half of you would be interested in Yellow Dog support.

Except the lack of games PS3, is a very impressive machine with helluva lot less propriety components and a lot more flexible with media streaming and playback.

Odd that there is a strong anti-MS vibe for mostly all Linux users, but they are just as MS loving with the XBox as Windows users are with their OS. :confused:

n3tfury
March 16th, 2008, 07:41 PM
If you want to throw away 400$ buy a ps3...not worth as a blue ray player cause mini pc's at that price are way better(bored to write 1000 reasons why

wow. so clueless.

billgoldberg
March 16th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Sony corp is full of racists people with patriotic ideas.

source please?

billgoldberg
March 16th, 2008, 09:56 PM

I don't know about that one.

Final fantasy XIII (both versions!), tekken 6 and god of war 3 are coming out this year.

The predecessors of those 3 games happen to be the best games in their genre (rpg, fighting and slashers) and as far as I know will be ps3 only.

Lord Illidan
March 16th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I don't get the console wars one bit. What is there to fight about? There's the PS 3, the Xbox 360, and the Wii. All have their advantages and disadvantages...what's there to get so hot and bothered about? It's one of the major reasons I stopped looking at digg.. console fanboys. I don't own any of them. If I had to own one, it would be the PS 3, because I like the advanced tech. behind it..also it's a good blu-ray player, and it plays games. Oh, and I can install Linux on it. But why should I diss a friend because he has an Xbox? Each to his own.

jdgiotta
March 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I don't get the console wars one bit. What is there to fight about? There's the PS 3, the Xbox 360, and the Wii. All have their advantages and disadvantages...what's there to get so hot and bothered about? It's one of the major reasons I stopped looking at digg.. console fanboys. I don't own any of them. If I had to own one, it would be the PS 3, because I like the advanced tech. behind it..also it's a good blu-ray player, and it plays games. Oh, and I can install Linux on it. But why should I diss a friend because he has an Xbox? Each to his own.

I think the Xbox is a solid machine on its own, but not my cup of tea.