PDA

View Full Version : Reagan on the Hoary CD

tehwa
October 6th, 2005, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure if my Hoary CD's are special. But if you put it in the drive and open CD Player / Grip, it lists the Audio CD track:

"Whatever Happened to the Free Enterprise - Ronald Reagan"

What's the go with Reagan being on the Hoary install CD?

Not that I have anything against the guy, It just took me by suprise to see it there, can anyone tell me why? Whenever I try to play it, it doesn't spin up.

23meg
October 6th, 2005, 02:29 PM
easter egg, possibly?

landotter
October 6th, 2005, 02:40 PM
ROFL! That's priceless.

Reagan was a clown whose only talent was a really nice radio voice.

kleeman
October 6th, 2005, 03:04 PM
It's not on the burnt version I have.

tehwa
October 6th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Interesting, it might be an official CD only thing?

It could also be shenanigans with my FreeDB lookup. Can someone verify this, I don't think I have the energy for any shenanigans today...

23meg
October 6th, 2005, 03:23 PM
confirmed, it happens with my official cd as well, but not the burned one. if this was intentional i take it as just another display of Shuttleworth's fine sense of humor. if not, i take it as a display of the fact that the major powers of the cosmos want Ubuntu to successful.

kleeman
October 6th, 2005, 03:32 PM
More likely Jeff Waugh's humour I reckon.

Lovechild
October 6th, 2005, 06:19 PM
ARRGGH!!! *implodes*

landotter
October 6th, 2005, 06:22 PM
The logical question is: How do you submit CDDB information using Ubuntu?

He he.

The Hoary Live CD comes up with Morton Feldman:Triadic Memories

:P

skoal
October 6th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Reagan was a clown whose only talent was a really nice radio voice.
Hardly.

In case you only have a burnt ISO like me, here's some relevant linkage: "Whatever Happened to the Free Enterprise - Ronald Reagan (http://www.gppf.org/article.asp?RT=7&p=pub/General/Reaganspeech040903.htm)". Quite a stimulating read, and hardly "clown" material. And, yes, I have an autographed picture of Reagan hanging on my wall. I'm currently polishing it's glass with my shirt sleeve as I type this post. Oops. Looks like the 20 miniature American flags I wedged into the frame need some adjustment too. I'll straighten those shortly...

Any easter eggs are always fun to find (and for whatever reason here). Whoever did it, brilliant. Brilliant I tell ya!

\\//_

landotter
October 6th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Hardly.
\\//_

Kissing the butt of Jerry Falwell while making decisions based on Nancy's astrologer hardly qualifies as "not a clown". Then there's the issue funding coups and illegal wars in central and south America...

skoal
October 6th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Kissing the butt of Jerry Falwell while making decisions based on Nancy's astrologer hardly qualifies as "not a clown". Then there's the issue funding coups and illegal wars in central and south America...
wow. I don't think turning this thread into a political discussion is necessary.

I just thoght it was quite funny for this to be on the CD (as others). The link I provided was for general consumption _relating_ to that "easter egg", but also (in part) since I thought your generalization of the man was a tad bit harsh. If you read his text, you'll understand why many celebrated him as the "The Great Communicator" in contrast with something a "clown" would write.

That's all. Nothing more. You won't pick any further political discussion about the man from me here, I assure you.

\\//_

poofyhairguy
October 6th, 2005, 08:18 PM

This thread is not about Reagan. Its about an easter egg. If you want to get into that stuff there is plenty of the web for that.

I bet actually the whole thing is a joke. Great sense of humor these Ubuntu people have.

wmcbrine
October 6th, 2005, 08:45 PM
I don't think this is an easter egg. Rather, it's merely a misidentification by the CD database. This is actually quite common. The way it works is, the CD program checks the length of each track, and from that, generates a checksum that's intended to be unique, and queries the database with it. Only, because there are so many CDs in the world, sometimes it isn't unique. Somewhere out there is probably an audio CD of Reagan, with one track, that just by coincidence is the same length as the data track of the Ubuntu disc.

If you've ever put in an audio disc and had grip (or whatever) come up with the wrong track list, it's the same thing. If you haven't, then you haven't ripped enough discs. :)

P.S. The database is meant for identifying audio discs, so please don't submit any entries for data discs like the Ubuntu CDs.

skoal
October 6th, 2005, 08:54 PM
I don't think this is an easter egg. Rather, it's merely a misidentification by the CD database. This is actually quite common. The way it works is[...]
Ah! Thanks for the explanation there. I was under the impression by prior posts it was an actual audio file you could rip off the CD.

When I put in my CD and used grip, CDDB actually gives me two other completely unrelated tracks. I guess since I only have a burned ISO.

\\//_

23meg
October 6th, 2005, 08:56 PM
as i said, if it's a "CDDB coincidence", it means the gods love Ubuntu. i've never believed in such a thing as coincidence.

Dr. Nick
October 11th, 2005, 05:38 AM
This may deserve its own thread and if it does please lock it or move it wherever but I found a little easter egg in breezy myself.
If you go to the screensaver prefrences and preview the starwars screensaver, nice little entry about some of the developers of ubuntu. Anyone seen any others?

Totally unrealted, but the transparent window list rocks :) :p
Try it out if you didnt realize its in their after a recent update om breezy.

kleeman
October 11th, 2005, 01:56 PM
How do you mean transparent? I couldn't find that option (I was looking at the gnome panel windowlist applet).

23meg
October 11th, 2005, 02:05 PM
If you go to the screensaver prefrences and preview the starwars screensaver, nice little entry about some of the developers of ubuntu. Anyone seen any others?

i don't see this, i just get a blank screen.

Dr. Nick
October 11th, 2005, 05:14 PM
How do you mean transparent? I couldn't find that option (I was looking at the gnome panel windowlist applet).

Sorry I wasnt real specific, If you have a newer breezy than set the whole panel the window list is on to be transparent, find a open area of the panel and click properties. Background, Solid color, then change the style.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6448/untitled3iz.th.jpg (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled3iz.jpg)

i don't see this, i just get a blank screen.
You may have to have breezy, not sure if its in Hoary. It takes a few seconds to come up. If you have breezy and nothing happens after a few minutes except just stars go to System-> Prefrences -> ScreenSaver, Click Advanced tab in the main window, bottom corner to text manipulation, tick url and put in this link http://planet.ubuntu.com/rss20.xml and try again, If you modified any of those other text options it may have caused it to dissappear

23meg
October 28th, 2005, 03:32 PM
It seems the function of that screensaver is to display the contents of an rss feed in star wars intro fashion, so it's not an easter egg ;)

This is one more reason to long for the Breezy cds to arrive; I'm expecting a Bush album, since father Bush was next after Reagan.

23meg
November 14th, 2005, 03:47 PM
So here's what we have on the Breezy install CD: John Sanford's "Chosen Prey" and Beethoven's "Fidelio"; possibly more obscure references.