PDA

View Full Version : "Cube Desktop" - A compiz clone for Windows.

diablo75
March 14th, 2008, 07:35 AM
http://www.cubedesktop.com/buy.php

I pity the fools who pay money for this software.

kpkeerthi
March 14th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Quote from the website:

CubeDesktop™ is a first-class virtual desktop manager with stunning 2D and 3D graphical effects. Say goodbay to cluttering and start working with it now!

FuturePilot
March 14th, 2008, 08:04 AM
3D accelerated video adapter with at least 64MB of video memory
HA! Compiz will run just fine on my old GeForce2 Go 32MB :guitar:

Support for panoramic 360º Compiz/Beryl SkyDomes
Hmmmmm:-k

NightwishFan
March 14th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I remember that was an old way to get a cube desktop on WindowsXP and the creator made it shareware rather then freeware after a few months.

DoctorMO
March 14th, 2008, 08:16 AM
don't you just love the shape of the box, it's like they're copying the windows visa packaging. No confidence in their product without attaching it to another.

vishzilla
March 14th, 2008, 08:39 AM

http://www.savagechickens.com/images/chickenmrtquiz.jpg :lolflag:

reubeni
March 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Looks like "money for old rope":lolflag:

Mazza558
March 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Ah, but you can have SIX sides rather than 4! (top and bottom!)

fatality_uk
March 14th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Ah, but you can have SIX sides rather than 4! (top and bottom!)

:lolflag:

I think I did the fill 36 desktops once in Compiz :D That was wild!!
I seem to remember in my distant memory using the "trial" for this, :|:|

CaptainCabinet
March 14th, 2008, 11:12 AM

I pity them too. :)
It's another addition to the ever expanding list of reasons to choose Linux over Window$.

Sukarn
March 14th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't exactly call it a compiz clone. Compiz can do a lot more than just putting 4 desktops on a cube.

vikrant82
March 14th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Just tried this thing,

No offence, but comparing just the cube features, This definitely has more steam.

NightwishFan
March 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I don't even use the cube. :)
I think more water effects would be cool. Like trails when you drag a window.

klange
March 14th, 2008, 12:12 PM
HA! Compiz will run just fine on my old GeForce2 Go 32MB :guitar:

Hmmmmm:-k

It'll run on a 4mb card. I don't remember which one, probably some ATI Radeon card...

Also, since it was mentioned, we're working on enabling cube cap desktops, finally.

LaRoza
March 14th, 2008, 01:57 PM
If anyone wants the free version of this type of software (that went shareware/sold) let me know.

(It is the older free version)

CaptainCabinet
March 14th, 2008, 05:18 PM
If anyone wants the free version of this type of software (that went shareware/sold) let me know.

(It is the older free version)

Does it only work on Window$?

macogw
March 14th, 2008, 06:03 PM
It'll run on a 4mb card. I don't remember which one, probably some ATI Radeon card...

Also, since it was mentioned, we're working on enabling cube cap desktops, finally.

Compiz runs on my no-MB integrated Intel crap chip :P

I saw the Windows one on a kid at school's computer. He was showing off. I was like "so how many sides can it do?" "4 or 8!" I turned to a friend and said "How many can ours do? Anywhere up to 32? Something like that..."

NightwishFan
March 14th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I wish I had a laptop so I could shame all the poor Windows users. :)

namegame
March 14th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I don't even use the cube. :)

I only use it for one thing, to impress M$ users.

lespaul_rentals
March 14th, 2008, 06:13 PM
don't you just love the shape of the box, it's like they're copying the windows visa packaging. No confidence in their product without attaching it to another.

I know, haha. :lolflag:

Take a look at this phail-noob: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BLoQh-r-UU

herbster
March 14th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Doggonit, why can't linux have something like this?

IsawSp4rks
March 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Just tried this thing,

No offence, but comparing just the cube features, This definitely has more steam.

It also has more cost and can't play videos on cubefaces like xwinwrap can. Infact so far none of the screenshots show any of the cubefaces playing video at all - I wonder if it hogs overlay.

DeadSuperHero
March 14th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I wonder how well it runs in WINE...

rudihawk
March 14th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I wonder how well it runs in WINE...

:lolflag:

klange
March 14th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Compiz runs on my no-MB integrated Intel crap chip :P

I saw the Windows one on a kid at school's computer. He was showing off. I was like "so how many sides can it do?" "4 or 8!" I turned to a friend and said "How many can ours do? Anywhere up to 32? Something like that..."
Ahh, but that's still using your system RAM. It could run on a Matrox if we had the driver support.
Also, from looking at cube's code myself, I'd say that we can do ANY number of desktops, it's just "reasonably limited" to 32. Unless there's some hidden restriction on viewport layouts outside of Compiz...

CaptainCabinet
March 14th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I know, haha. :lolflag:

Take a look at this phail-noob: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BLoQh-r-UU

I loved reading the comments on that video. Everyone praising the free Linux alternatives. :)

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 09:10 PM
a 25 desktop cube on my computer!

odiseo77
March 14th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the guys from CubeDesktop attempt to sue the CompizFusion folks for "stealing" their ideas... :-/

akiratheoni
March 14th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I guess it's a way for Windows users to feel "cool". Face it, we all knew that a Windows clone was coming. It was bound to happen.

lespaul_rentals
March 17th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I guess it's a way for Windows users to feel "cool". Face it, we all knew that a Windows clone was coming. It was bound to happen.

The Linux community has always been on the leading edge of innovation. Linux was driving servers before DOS was even TCP/IP capable. Don't forget that Linux also had the first GUI. Xorg was around long before Windows. Microsoft has continually been playing catch up.

Lord Illidan
March 17th, 2008, 05:44 PM
So...what is a 25 sided cube? :D

I'm not surprised they've copied it, it's one of Compiz's more showy looks after all. What I am more pissed at is that they're charging a bunch of money for cool looking software which one can get for free by installing Linux, no matter on how many computers he wants to install it.

Also, there's no mention of Compiz there.

Lantesh
March 17th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Another example of how each and every program you wish for or want for Windows saps a few more dollars out of your wallet. It's getting to the point where you have to be rich to run Windows. If you could pay a one-time fee to Microsoft, and then have access to unlimited programs it wouldn't be so bad, but a man of simple means such as myself just can not afford to run a decent Microsoft desktop anymore.

Lord Illidan
March 17th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Another example of how each and every program you wish for or want for Windows saps a few more dollars out of your wallet. It's getting to the point where you have to be rich to run Windows. If you could pay a one-time fee to Microsoft, and then have access to unlimited programs it wouldn't be so bad, but a man of simple means such as myself just can not afford to run a decent Microsoft desktop anymore.

Either rich, or else a pirate.

Chame_Wizard
March 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Or to desperate:lolflag:

Ripfox
March 17th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Looks laggy as hell and looks sucky compared to compiz-fusion. The edges are drawn all weird and it looks...windowsy.

PoopSlayer
March 17th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Honestly, I don't see the need for ******* to imitate all those special effects that compiz has. Just a simple Virtual Desktop manager is just as good, but without being such a resouce hog.

christianxxx
March 17th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Yeah, I wonder how piracy became such a big problem for MS... :)
Hint: It could have something to do with the licensing...

Twitch6000
March 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Wow what else is windows going to ******* STEAL!!!
My guess is compiz itself or beryl o wait they tried :/.They didn't even do good at that though and GAVE IT A GOOD NAME!!!!!!!!!
My guess is they steal the water effects next :(.

Tomatz
March 17th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah i saw that a while ago lmao

lespaul_rentals
March 17th, 2008, 06:32 PM

Or stupid.

And before anyone complains and accuses me of implying that Windows users are stupid, you all should remember that there is a fine line between ignorance and stupidity.

rab4567
March 17th, 2008, 06:37 PM
PLEASE! They could convert to Ubuntu and have it for free.

SomeGuyDude
March 17th, 2008, 07:11 PM
You must purchase one license for each computer you plan to use CubeDesktop in.

Really? Well ain't that a bitch. And here I neither paid for the effects program nor the OS I put it on.

aaaantoine
March 17th, 2008, 09:53 PM
If you want the cube on Windows, you gotta pay for it. If you want the cube in Ubuntu, you get it for free. But depending on your computing needs, Ubuntu might not be for you.

If someone feels it absolutely necessary to have a virtual desktop cube on their Windows PC, they will buy this.

However, I think it would be more useful to just have a set of virtual desktops. I use Compiz, but I use the wall rather than the cube plugin.

Dr.Dixie
March 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Pitty their waste. All that MONEY just for something that doesn't give you half of what you have with good 'ol Beryl, let alone Compiz Fusion.

!Dr.Dixie!