PDA

View Full Version : Stallman speaking at VT in Blacksburg, VA

souneedalink
March 14th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Stallman will be speaking about community versus copyright.
* 8:00 PM
* Tuesday, March 25
* Torgerson 2150 (Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, VA)
* open to the public

ABSTRACT:
Copyright developed in the age of the printing press, and was designed to fit with the system of centralized copying imposed by the printing press. But the copyright system does not fit well with computer networks, and only draconian punishments can enforce it. The global corporations that profit from copyright are lobbying for draconian punishments, and to increase their copyright powers, while suppressing public access to technology. But if we seriously hope to serve the only legitimate purpose of copyright—to promote progress, for the benefit of the public—then we must make changes in the other direction.

souneedalink
March 14th, 2008, 03:55 PM
forgot to add - it is open to the public

articpenguin
March 14th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I bet his speech will be the same thing as all the others:)

1. Stallman turns off visable computers with windows.

2. talks about how proprietary software violates a users freedom.

3. goes on for 30-45 Mins about how we are all free with gnu/linux.

marimo
March 14th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I find RMS speeches very interesting, though sometimes he is a little bit too geeky for the ordinary man in the street.

jrusso2
March 14th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I find Stallmans idea of Freedom to be very limiting.

fatality_uk
March 14th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Anyone wanna gimme odds on the number of times he mentions "GNU/LINUX"? Stressing the GNU part? ;)

souneedalink
March 14th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I find Stallmans idea of Freedom to be very limiting.

Well, it isnt freedom in the general sense it is software freedoms in a very specific sense. It is limiting but I find nothing wrong with limiting the ability to not share and improve something that was shared and improved to begin with...

Most people that consider Stallman extreme have only heard others repeating the extreme parts they heard someone else repeat...
:D

fatality_uk
March 14th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Most people that consider Stallman extreme have only heard others repeating the extreme parts they heard someone else repeat...
:D

I'd never say extreme. Over passionate on occasions I would say

Dr Small
March 14th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I heard about it from my LUG.

Ripfox
March 14th, 2008, 04:41 PM

aaaantoine
March 14th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I really have to stop confusing the names "Stallman" and "Ballmer".

Lousy *allm*...

fatality_uk
March 14th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Can you imagine if there were a freaky friday accident were Stallman and Ballmer swapped places??? :o

original_jamingrit
March 15th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Can you imagine if there were a freaky friday accident were Stallman and Ballmer swapped places??? :o

:lolflag:

Also, is there a place to download this lecture from as a podcast or something? Or should I just check the FSF website for it later?