PDA

View Full Version : Ikhaya = Ubuntu Developer Community?

littlepaul
December 5th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Ikhaya - Just another Zulu word?

A few weeks ago a searched for the meaning of the word knowledgebase in the zulu language without any results.
Why? This native language arised some centuries before inventing such artificial words.

After a while Google linked me apparently to http://www.ikhaya.nl/ikhaya/home.htm and for the first time I read something
about the melodic term "ikhaya". So what makes this word such distinctive?

Ikhaya means house or home in Zulu, also in the sense of the meeting place of ideas, visions and experiences.

So "meeting place of ideas, visions and experiences" sounds at the first view like the synonym of the term "developer community". But this word goes a step further. Ikhaya includes creative minds, visonary and enthusiastic users and anybody who participates. Developing means not only to program something. Developing has also a creation component. At the moment we are about to create a community.

Ikhaya is the place of exchange ideas and share creation. Ikhaya is also a feeling that evolves when people part knowledge and opinons. The Togetherness, the place of meeting an the resultant visions and experiences as a whole is called ikhaya.
You are a piece of it. The individual is not ikhaya. This is the simple view of life of the native zulu people.
My opinion is that in the zulu philosophy ubuntu evolves from ikhaya.

Ikhaya also means "In the fray instead of being kept at bay". This significant thought stands for widening the Ubuntu
Developer Community. Indeed ikhaya could represent us.

So what is your opinion? Should we implement this term as a synonym for the "Ubuntu Developer Community"
Last but not least ikhaya is shorter, more melodical and sounds very special.

Three weeks ago I made a poll in the german forum ubuntuusers.de and got positive feedbacks.

zenwhen
December 5th, 2004, 07:33 PM
While it just FILLS me with warm fuzzy feelings, I don't think it would be such a great idea, since the dev team needs taken seriously as a Linux software development group. I'm not sure where the word would be used, by whom, and in what situations.

I don't think creating a new title for people that already have a perfectly good title will do much good for Ubuntu. Sure, Ubuntu is a zulu word, and is a good name for the distro, but the distro needed a title.

Developers have a title. Developers. DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS. Oops.

But hell, I could be wrong.

TravisNewman
December 5th, 2004, 08:41 PM
No, I agree with zen on this one... we don't need a zulu word for everything just because the name of the distro is zulu.

Gentoo is a type of penguin, but you don't see the Gentoo devs being called Chinstraps or Rockhoppers.

Fedora is a type of hat, but the developers aren't called beanies or bowlers.

I could go on, but you get the point. Ubuntu developers are Ubuntu developers. Ubuntu users are Ubuntu users, etc, etc... no need to base everything related to it on Zulu words.

stoneguy
December 5th, 2004, 09:40 PM
OTOH, it would a nifty stunt to create a "Ubuntu brand" if we did. We'd need occasional access to a Swahili speaker to make sure of the nuances.

I could go on, but you get the point. Ubuntu developers are Ubuntu developers. Ubuntu users are Ubuntu users, etc, etc... no need to base everything related to it on Zulu words.