PDA

View Full Version : The "Use Linux" Video Proposal

Mattaus
March 14th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Hi all.

First up I want to make this clear that it is simply a random brain fart that occurred to me on my lunch break today and as such is simply a "in the brain storm phase" kind of idea...

As you are all most likely aware there are thousands upon thousands of pro-linux articles and videos all over the internet all weighing in with there views on why Linux is better than (or in some cases worse than) Windows in its various forms. Some are quite good and in most cases these excellent demonstrations are articles found on random tech websites that no average PC user will ever stumble across. The videos 99% of the time only show off Compiz and although it really is the balls and one of the main reasons why I myself began using Ubuntu, they have little or no substance towards the “Use Linux for everything” wagon. Ultimately this is what us Linux users are trying to push for.

I’m not going to get into all the fine details because honestly I know practically nothing, and that’s why instead of diving in myself and just doing this alone I’ve come to the forum for suggestions (both positive and negative as its all valid) and help.

So to my little project: A proper Linux vs Windows presentation video for posting and promotion all over the internet. Whack it up on Youtube, Digg the crap out of it and see what it can do. Sure nothing will really happen with it but I just though it’d be a nice thing to do as I’ve been reading a lot of the afore mentioned articles lately and found that in general peoples arguments for the use of Linux are:

Its free
Its free to change
And virus’ are not a problem

And that’s about as far as they go. Pretty limited. They never list what it can/cannot do that Windows can or cannot do itself. In my opinion this is the number one turn off point for people. They instantly see Linux and think “oh that won’t run my Microsoft applications and because I’ve used it all my life I’m not willing to try something different."

Then there are games. I watched a video they other day done in the south park style were to guys (one Mac, one a PC) arguing over who is better. Then a little Linux guy comes in and says I can do all that. They slate him and then ask him if he can play games. He sort of cries and runs off. How wrong can that possibly be!?!? Yet this was at the top of the Digg page at the time and countless people have seen this and assumed it to be true.

I want to create a video that shows Linux Running an MSN clone, Playing Music and Videos, running popular Windows programs either via Wine or under Windows as a Virtual Machine, playing games through Wine….everything people can possibly think of. People may then argue why not just use windows then? Well we can show all this while Compiz is working all its wonders, or things that Windows cannot do. But instead of just showing the cosmetic effects of compiz show how it improves multitasking with the cube, zoom functions etc. Show Firefox’s excellent plugins etc

I could go on but the post is long enough already, and more to the point of this post - I’d like ideas on the subject. I’m no expert and have only been using Linux on/off for about 6months now but in that short time my opinion of open source has changed immeasurably. I don’t know enough about Linux to really point out its pro's and con's myself and that's the help I want. Things that really can set it apart and put it above other OS's...but at the same time I want it simple enough to show people with very basic computer skills it's not something to be afraid of (well it can be, but only if you let it do that to you :( )

I realise this is rather out there and very noobish but I want a little project to work on and really would give this a go if I can get enough ideas down on paper. Feel free to thow in your 2 cents, help me, slate me or just make judgement. I don't mind what people say. After all, it's just a video (or group of videos....might be a little long for one)

So yeah. It's just an idea at this stage and I look forward to hearing what you guy's might have to say.

Cheers.

-Matt

zmjjmz
March 14th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Just so you know,
3D games + Compiz-Fusion + Screen Recorder probably= Not so good.
Run the games without Compiz. (You can turn it off with something called compiz-fusion-icon; google it)
I remember the South Park thing too. The Linux bashing went something like this:
PC: What's your favorite game?
Linux: Uh.. I don't...
Mac: Can you make movies?
Linux: Uh...
PC: Spreadsheets?
Linux: Uhm...
PC: Go play with your servers Linux. This place is for grown-ups.
Linux: *farts* I'm going to go take a memory dump...
Mac: *sniffs* *beachballs*
PC; Mac? Mac, are you *sniffs* *BSOD*.

*Computers Suck*

And Facebook/Myspace would be a great candidate for spreading these videos.
And if anyone knows how to make a video go side-by-side (like two videos in horizontally adjacent frames) it would be useful.

Mattaus
March 14th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Oh yeah defintely lol. Never said had to have everything running while compiz was going!

Besids, the simple fact that a popular game like CoD4 running under Linux would be more than adequate to push the point...no need for compiz to chug away at the same time for that!

And as for the video of the computer bashing I just remember feeling sorry for the little Linux guy. He reminded me of butters :frown:

And as for the Side by Side frames I can do all that with Adobe Premier Pro...running in XP where XP is running under VirtualBox on my Ubuntu install :)

Forrest Gumpp
March 14th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I could go on but the post is long enough already, and more to the point of this post - I’d like ideas on the subject. I’m no expert and have only been using Linux on/off for about 6months now but in that short time my opinion of open source has changed immeasurably. I don’t know enough about Linux to really point out its pro's and con's myself and that's the help I want. Things that really can set it apart and put it above other OS's...but at the same time I want it simple enough to show people with very basic computer skills it's not something to be afraid of (well it can be, but only if you let it do that to you :( )

This thread may be of some use: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=399997

There is a reasonably up to date summary of the Linux-exclusive features in post # 294 of this thread, here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4341529&postcount=294

The summary is not official - it takes things posters have claimed at face value. Use your own judgment, but it may be of help.

Mattaus
March 14th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks for those thread links. I'll read through them both and compile a List I feel shows the most relevant things general users would be interested in.

aysiu
March 14th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Instead of emphasizing what it can do that Windows can't, I think it would make more sense to explain what type of user and computing habits would be ideally suited to Linux. In other words, who would have something to gain by switching... and then what they would gain.

Mattaus
March 14th, 2008, 11:22 PM
aysiu,

Your pretty much on the same thought pattern I'm on. I don't want it to end up as a "Hey, Windows is *****, look at Linux, its soooo much better" sort of thing. I want it to be a here are some good reason WHY you should switch, or at least what you might gain by switching.

It's not a popularity contest (actually it kinda is I guess lol), I just want people to see that the grass is very green on this side of the fence to!

DeadSuperHero
March 15th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Well, time to throw some old links at you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=488414

Hope that might yield some useful ideas.

Mattaus
March 17th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I've been reading through the links you guy's have provided above and I really like the idea of advertisements. Though that’s a side story I guess. I am however getting some great ideas from this.

I think a website may be in order but we'll see. As I said at the start this is all still in the brain storm phase for me.

jflaker
March 17th, 2008, 03:04 AM
The video can be as simple as a side by side comparison..........

Load time
Usable applications
Show there are replacements to the Big $$ packages that Windows users use
Get the "user on the street" opinion

Totally random users, and get those from the Panera Bread and other WiFi locations to give it a try........no coaching, and see if they get it.
Try the Grandma on the street. See if they can use it and document it!

Just a few more for the storm, er brain storm

Mattaus
March 17th, 2008, 03:11 AM
good ideas there...though one thing ahs sprung to mind recently.

Linux rocks no doubt, but the the problem is 99% of the whiz bang stuff we'd potentially use to advertise its awesomness is not available out of the box. Basically everything I love about Ubuntu took me hours and hours of frustration to get working.

Yes the end results speak for themselves but unless people buy the OS, pre-installed on a machine and configured for that machine/user, I feel like im almost lying about it all lol. If I actually went about and pointed this out in any of the videos I'd be essentially killing the positives off before I even get started.

I'd rather not paper over the cracks by avoiding the issues either, as we all know one major software developer who does that already :---)

Still. I'll see where this takes me :)

jflaker
March 17th, 2008, 03:16 AM
And with Vista, the WOW needs an upgrade to be able to do what was advertised as part of the bling and WOW..........

This may be a good one for the brainstorm site
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

To interview the system on install, get the best performance and best screen and set up compiz right out of the gate........Yes, I fought the compizfusion fight too........

Mattaus
March 17th, 2008, 03:27 AM
I was thinking of that before. comparing Linux and Vista running on identical machines. one current machine and one from 2001...(which parents still use sadly....man I was in high school then...it was the balls!)

Something tells me Vista wont like a Geforce MX400 graphics card...I hope Ubuntu does lol!