PDA

View Full Version : Im getting bored with computers!?

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 02:45 AM
well... last year, I became obsessed with computers, I wanted to be a network admin, and just be surrounded with computers! (this big bang happened around the same time i installed Linux on my computer, of course!).

now im bored. ive done everything i can with computers, and there is know where left to explore and discover (exploration, and discovery, were the biggest reasons i liked computers!).

does anyone out there in the community have any suggestions? i have a lamp server, and write sites (both dynamic and static) but i dont have a static ip (and it changes like literally every hour or so, so dyndns is out of the question). as a last ditch effort i am buying a laptop through system76, and am super sizing everything, so i can do new things.

anyone have any suggestions, something i don't know about that will re kindle the spark of computers for me!?

LaRoza
March 14th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Well, don't force it.

If you like programming, you can go more into that. (See my wiki)

rfruth
March 14th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Bored, time for new hardware / firmware / software :)

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Well, don't force it.

If you like programming, you can go more into that. (See my wiki)

ive never tried programming. My school here is all about football and sports (texas), so no computer programming. i will try out your wiki, and see what programing is like. who knows maybe i will contribute to some open source thing! i have nothing but free time!

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Bored, time for new hardware / firmware / software :)

well like i said, last ditch effort, is im buying a new laptop that is super sized, here are the specs: http://system76.com/product_info.php?products_id=60{1}111{44}265{2}4{3 }10{4}260{5}21{6}28{7}27{8}34{9}35{10}38{11}40{12} 42

ok, maybe not super sized, but good enough i think!

GreyShadow
March 14th, 2008, 02:57 AM
You can try to balance the excess computer time with something completely different like gardening, cooking, or walking around outside with no machines attached to yourself (no cell phone) Its what I do to get centered and re inspired again.

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 03:00 AM
You can try to balance the excess computer time with something completely different like gardening, cooking, or walking around outside with no machines attached to yourself (no cell phone) Its what I do to get centered and re inspired again.

no... cell... phone... *runs away screaming and runs right through door!!!* "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

GreyShadow
March 14th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Good for you! I don't like them too!:mad:

Superkoop
March 14th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Well there is more to computers than just playing with hardware.

I second what LaRoza said, get into programming. You will never become bored if you set a goal to become the best programmer.
If you don't like programming, get into graphics.
If you don't like graphics, check out web design.
And if you don't like that either, go watch a movie, take a break from computers.

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Good for you! I don't like them too!:mad:

well... actually i meant, like, if i DIDN'T have my cell phone with me at all times i would melt down. (maybe i should be taking writing classes?) i feel stupid :(

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Well there is more to computers than just playing with hardware.

I second what LaRoza said, get into programming. You will never become bored if you set a goal to become the best programmer.
If you don't like programming, get into graphics.
If you don't like graphics, check out web design.
And if you don't like that either, go watch a movie, take a break from computers.

i do a little graphics work: Hardy Heron Wallpaper (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Ubuntu+8.04+Wallpaper?content=76793)

and i did web design for about six months, and had a good site going called KVIERO (back when i had a static ip), but then my server's mother board shorted, and everything was lost, that was the end of web design for me, never touched a server again!

GreyShadow
March 14th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Oh! Sorry I didn't know you were so attached to your device. I meant to just take a brain break and try non-techno things. and No you are not stupid if you question how and why things work and where do you fit into life etc.:)

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Oh! Sorry I didn't know you were so attached to your device. I meant to just take a brain break and try non-techno things. and No you are not stupid if you question how and why things work and where do you fit into life etc.:)

a brain break? i don't get those, i have 2 algebra classes, and a integrated physics and chemistry class. no breaks for me!

Dr Small
March 14th, 2008, 03:21 AM
i do a little graphics work: Hardy Heron Wallpaper (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Ubuntu+8.04+Wallpaper?content=76793)

and i did web design for about six months, and had a good site going called KVIERO (back when i had a static ip), but then my server's mother board shorted, and everything was lost, that was the end of web design for me, never touched a server again!
Simply replace the motheboard... all is not lost.
And regarding the other post about no cellular phones, I must say that I do not own one. I found one in a parking lot one time, played with it and now my Mom has it. She rarely uses it herself.

Oh, and learn some language and begin programming. Earn loads of expirence and help FOSS! :)

breaking
March 14th, 2008, 03:25 AM
for searching if your bored with that, put XXXX sucks changing of course XXXX to a something that you want to read about what other people thinks sucks, example:

Linux sucks
then try
"Linux sucks"

and so forth, then read the sites. :)

GreyShadow
March 14th, 2008, 03:26 AM
OK! So don't take a Brain break and your head will explode before you hit 15!

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Simply replace the motheboard... all is not lost.
And regarding the other post about no cellular phones, I must say that I do not own one. I found one in a parking lot one time, played with it and now my Mom has it. She rarely uses it herself.

Oh, and learn some language and begin programming. Earn loads of expirence and help FOSS! :)

no, the power supply spiked, motherboard fried, everything lost!

I'm 14, in high school, cell phones are a must, how else can i punish my parents, for their incompetence!? :)

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Get an OS that makes you go WOW!
Vista is the thing guy! Check it out and leave these Lerds alone!

LOL!!!

or

Someone go get the cops! we have a spy!

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 03:29 AM
OK! So don't take a Brain break and your head will explode before you hit 15!

im counting on it!

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 03:30 AM
for searching if your bored with that, put XXXX sucks changing of course XXXX to a something that you want to read about what other people thinks sucks, example:

Linux sucks
then try
"Linux sucks"

and so forth, then read the sites. :)

um... i dont even know what to say to that, um... sure. *begins to call the spy police*

Superkoop
March 14th, 2008, 03:33 AM
<offtopic>
I don't own a cellphone either, mainly because I don't really like phones, all my friends call me phonaphobic. Since I NEVER call people, and I really prefer people not to call me. I like talking in person, or IMing.
</offtopic>

Yeah, when I think about it, maybe you really should just take a break from computers for a while, try out other things. Maybe there is something else out there that would be perfect for you.
"If the window gets closed, go out the door."

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 03:35 AM
<offtopic>
I don't own a cellphone either, mainly because I don't really like phones, all my friends call me phonaphobic. Since I NEVER call people, and I really prefer people not to call me. I like talking in person, or IMing.
</offtopic>

Yeah, when I think about it, maybe you really should just take a break from computers for a while, try out other things. Maybe there is something else out there that would be perfect for you.
"If the window gets closed, go out the door."

well, i cant really take a break from computers, it runs in my family, and i am the family geek! so...

Dr Small
March 14th, 2008, 03:37 AM
no, the power supply spiked, motherboard fried, everything lost!

I'm 14, in high school, cell phones are a must, how else can i punish my parents, for their incompetence!? :)
I have had two fried motheboards and the hard drives are still being used to this day. You did veriy that the hard drives were fried too, didn't you? That would be an awful waste of space.... :D

Joeb454
March 14th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Play some games :) Console or otherwise

Dr Small
March 14th, 2008, 03:39 AM
moonbuggy is fun :)

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 03:40 AM
I have had two fried motheboards and the hard drives are still being used to this day. You did veriy that the hard drives were fried too, didn't you? That would be an awful waste of space.... :D

well even if they weren't, i dont have them anymore, come to think of it they kind of vanished! *looks up in search of aliens watching him*

jflaker
March 14th, 2008, 03:40 AM
You haven't scratched the surface of computers.......hardware and software is only part of it.

Database design.......create a properly normalized database to store your information.....

Take a look at programming............have a task you do regularly, well......let the computer do it for you. Write a program

Still bored with computers? Do you have a few $$ laying around?
Go find an antique car in a junk yard or parked in a cornfield somewhere......Get it home and restore it. This will probably take YEARS and you will never be bored of it looking forward to driving it when you get your license.

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 03:43 AM

moonbuggy is fun :)

well i have a ps3, and a 27 inch lcd tv, but i have like seven or eight games, and it took me a week to beat the longest one (half life 2, episode 1, episode 2). all the other games out right now don't appeal to me, and the reason i beat games so fast is because i play, and play, and play, non stop, in fact i come out about 10 pounds lighter than when i went in!

Joeb454
March 14th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Complete Burnout Paradise, I love that game :) Gets a bit repetitive though (I have it on the 360)

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 03:46 AM
You haven't scratched the surface of computers.......hardware and software is only part of it.

Database design.......create a properly normalized database to store your information.....

Take a look at programming............have a task you do regularly, well......let the computer do it for you. Write a program

Still bored with computers? Do you have a few $$ laying around?
Go find an antique car in a junk yard or parked in a cornfield somewhere......Get it home and restore it. This will probably take YEARS and you will never be bored of it looking forward to driving it when you get your license.

2 things

1. i have never tried programming, i think i will now though, but its hard!

2. i dont have any money, my family is down right poor! but i still get the latest and greatest hardware, and computers, because of my friend moriceo (a family friend who buys my family anything we seriously want or need).

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 03:54 AM
lets say i do programming, i would want to help someone, so what is something people need program wise, seems like everything i could do, or help with, are already being filled by much more skilled individuals.

Joeb454
March 14th, 2008, 04:00 AM
What language do you want to start learning?

And you have to start out making crappy programs :( it's the only way to learn, sucks...but hey :) what can ya do?

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 04:02 AM
What language do you want to start learning?

And you have to start out making crappy programs :( it's the only way to learn, sucks...but hey :) what can ya do?

well...i just installed eclipse, ill use that to work on programs... i was thinking about python, but the server admin side of me says php, so maybe both?

Dr Small
March 14th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Php For the Win, but BASH is easy too.

kindofabuzz
March 14th, 2008, 04:42 AM
well... last year, I became obsessed with computers

You've barely scratched the surface of compters in just one year.

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 05:08 AM
You've barely scratched the surface of compters in just one year.

thats four years of computers, 1 year of linux. and five years at 7 hours a day! 7days a week.

kevin11951
March 14th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Php For the Win, but BASH is easy too.
php for the win? bash isn't real programing.

jimmyhacker
May 22nd, 2009, 07:56 PM
really,im bored too.i searched at google "bored by computers" i want something much much more appleasant much more passional complex i tried OpenBSD i tried Multics i built Xorg and Gnome and KDE at cygwin manually i know any site and any video at YouTube...
world crysis affected me too!

hanzomon4
May 22nd, 2009, 09:27 PM
well... last year, I became obsessed with computers, I wanted to be a network admin, and just be surrounded with computers! (this big bang happened around the same time i installed Linux on my computer, of course!).

now im bored. ive done everything i can with computers, and there is know where left to explore and discover (exploration, and discovery, were the biggest reasons i liked computers!).

does anyone out there in the community have any suggestions? i have a lamp server, and write sites (both dynamic and static) but i dont have a static ip (and it changes like literally every hour or so, so dyndns is out of the question). as a last ditch effort i am buying a laptop through system76, and am super sizing everything, so i can do new things.

anyone have any suggestions, something i don't know about that will re kindle the spark of computers for me!?

Finish the HURD

Edit: Dammit Jim... you've pulled me into a ghost thread

chucky chuckaluck
May 22nd, 2009, 09:29 PM
take up olympic weightlifting. it'll change your life.

terabyte1
May 22nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Well, Kevin, us Scousers are a formidable lot and always have more than one arrow in our quiver - What I'm saying Kevin is to have another hobby so that your mind is fresh when you go back to your computer. I Cycle, photograph stuff, do gardening, look at birds (er the feathered kind not the Judies) and animals like the Red squirrel. As I live in Northumberland I get to have the countryside on my doorstep and can go out and enjoy the peace and tranquility.

Yes, I have a couple of PC's and do all kinds of stuff on them, run a website, handle Fedora 10 and its issues over security with its DMZ and US Government Security features (tight as a ducks ***)! If you get your password wrong or forget it - say goodbye to your PC/Server as you know it - cos you'll have to start all over again without your data.

To get away from the PC I go out on my bike and stop the staleness creeping in - that's what's affecting you - you need to get a fresh approach but to do that, you need another hobby to offset seeing those boring screens day after day....Get my drift?

You'll feel better for it.

Cheers!

terabyte1

Coreigh
May 22nd, 2009, 10:59 PM
I didn't read all the posts so please forgive this probable repeat.

The computer field is vast, very big and is connected in some way to EVERYTHING. Find other things that are fun and interesting to you and incorporate them into your interest in computing. Variety is the spice of life they say.

One of the first things I did when I started to feel bored was to learn a new area in computing. I build my own network in my house. Not just connected all the computers but I actually got some old computers cheap and set up a network and had each computer do a different job, or store different data. Build a cluster. A "super computer" made up of several machines. It won't be very super in performance but it WILL help you learn how its done. Learn how and set up several virtual computers and network them. Virtualization is the hot thing in the industry right now.

terabyte1
May 22nd, 2009, 11:09 PM
If the above doesn't grab you, then you can maybe go into robotics (hey its fun) you are working with a computer that works inside a creature that you built (a bit like an Android version of Frankenstein monster built of nuts, bolts and computer parts) or you can get into girls at high School - maybe not - they can take all of your time! You could play Football, Baseball, or some other sport - I went to baseball games a lot when I was working in Florida at Space City - believe me you need to get out sometimes - Mosquito Creek is not a cool place at night - even if you are into computers!

Incidentally a guy called a Scouser is a someone who lives in or was born in Liverpool, England (like the Beatles, Searchers etc). It was from there thru my company I made it to Florida on behalf of my Company (Siemens) and installed stuff that my company made for the Gemini space Program (which was like aeons ago).

Anyways, give my suggestions a go or try programming using Python, Ruby, Ruby with rails, Java, or Scripting with Perl, try working with Php, Mysql - they may be databases but they have their own language and can be very useful to use - all of this stuff helps in rounding out your carear in Computers. Try anything you wanna do or look at the other suggestions from the other guys here :D):P

lukjad007
May 22nd, 2009, 11:21 PM

It's normal, it means you are moving on. You can either move toward something computer related but different to what you were doing before, or you could just latch on to a new interest. The important part is to take a short break from computers. What most likely happened was that you are so much with computers that you have simply had your fill of them. If you take a break from them, you will have time to relax, and do something else. Maybe you will find your new hobby, or you will just find you wish to return.

WatchingThePain
May 22nd, 2009, 11:34 PM

No, sadly once a person reaches computer nirvana, that is the highest possible state.

jonian_g
May 23rd, 2009, 12:20 AM
You're only 14. Do things that other kids do. Play football, soccer, basketball, go out with friends, get in touch with the other sex. These are things for your tender age. Once these years go they never get back and you will not have a second chance to do what a kid does. Use computers less. 7h a day 7d a week is too much.

khelben1979
May 23rd, 2009, 01:36 AM

does anyone out there in the community have any suggestions?

My recommendation would be not to focus so hard on the computer itself and change focus on how you can use software and spend more time with different technologies. It's cheaper and in my opinion, more fun! I can't imagine that you would have had time to explore all that. :)

ceciliaFX
May 23rd, 2009, 03:38 AM
I just realized that I bought my first computer 20 years ago last month - and I have NEVER been bored with this wonderful tool. (for those that care it is an Amiga 2000 and I still have it).

I went on to do Special Effects and I just never get tired of all the things it's possible to do. And i've been at this longer than you have lived :)

0per4t0r
May 23rd, 2009, 04:05 AM
You could try programming, testing beta versions, ubuntu brainstorm, finding bugs, flash animation, movie making, being a webmaster, web developing, graphics, giving tech support, making your own games, being a photographer, a blogger, making your own forum, make a web comic, go on some sort of sharing site like newgrounds, photobucket, etc... the possibilities are endless.

MikeTheC
May 23rd, 2009, 04:10 AM
Well, either you could try roller-coaster riding without any restraints on, or... *drum roll*

You could try your hand at fly fishing, which I'm told is a marvelously engaging pass time.

lisati
May 23rd, 2009, 04:12 AM
My school here is all about football and sports (texas), so no computer programming.

That shouldn't stop you doing something that has a connection with both..... I'm sure the jocks and their supporters have some use for technology, even if it's the score board, displays, keeping records or something of that nature.

khelben1979
May 23rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
I just realized that I bought my first computer 20 years ago last month - and I have NEVER been bored with this wonderful tool. (for those that care it is an Amiga 2000 and I still have it).

I went on to do Special Effects and I just never get tired of all the things it's possible to do. And i've been at this longer than you have lived :)

I have an Amiga 4000 myself which I was very happy with for years until "it died". I think the lithium battery needs to be replaced but I have never managed to do it myself.

Nice to see another Amigan on this forum! I suspect there is more of us in this Ubuntu forum. My Amiga 500 still works.

hatten
May 23rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Get Gentoo ;) Or if not that hardcore, try arch linux.
Start using dvorak, and as said, start programming.

Drokles
May 23rd, 2009, 11:44 AM
Start programming and explore the future!

You'll gain insight to computers like never before, and I wouldn't worry about your brain exploding: The more you learn the less likely it is for it to explode.

Math classes and physics classes are a blessing, child. You can only benefit from attending them, and the more fluent you are in logical reasoning, the better will your programming experience be.

I recommend that you start with Python, it's easy to learn and it provides you with many, many tools.

The future is an adventure!
Good luck!
~ Drokles