PDA

View Full Version : How much does your organization spend on computers?

Black Mage
March 13th, 2008, 07:58 PM
If you own an organization or work for one, and know how much your organization spends on IT(computers, support, etc), then feel free to share. I just want to see how different organizations spend money compared to one I work for.

Currently the college I'm at spends $875 for computer unit (monitor, mouse, keyboard, computer) and $90k on Microsoft Licensing and $17K on anti-virus.

Atomic Dog
March 13th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Because the owners are Steve Jobs rump swabs we;ll spend up to $2000 on an Apple laptop or iMac (but they really only run $1k to 1.5k. For a windows workstation... nothing and better install a hot copy of XP. (remember MS is the devil and Apple rump swabs hate MS). I still order copies of XP pro for $135 and build uber cheap workstations for about $250 + $150 lcd monitor under the radar by buying parts separately. It is very annoying working for a company that loves Apple, but most all workers need win boxes to do their job.

I hate my job. Well actually I hate Apple and their users.

Jeff Rage
March 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I tried to guess how much the organization I work for spent on workstations and servers. My guesstimated total is $200,000,000. :)

n3tfury
March 14th, 2008, 02:41 PM
alot.

marimo
March 14th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Re: How much does your organization spend on computers?

I do not think you can deduce any meangful intelligence from answers to this question. Company budgets on IT differ very significantly. even with the figures, you wont be able to make head or tail of it. A high figure does not reflect that I.T. is given high priority just like a small figure does not reflect it is being given the least priority either.

Black Mage
March 14th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Re: How much does your organization spend on computers?

I do not think you can deduce any meangful intelligence from answers to this question. Company budgets on IT differ very significantly. even with the figures, you wont be able to make head or tail of it. A high figure does not reflect that I.T. is given high priority just like a small figure does not reflect it is being given the least priority either.

I'm not looking for priority or anything like that, I just want to see how much some organizations spend on IT. Basically its to say, "wow, thats a lot of money spent per unit!!! The company I work for would go broke trying to spend that!!!"

Just fun numbers :).

beercz
March 14th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Practically nothing :-(

I am really fed up with stretching resources as far as I can - drives me nuts,

fatality_uk
March 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I have budget which has to stretch a long way. One thing I can guarentee all IT managers is that IT budgets will reduce over the next 18 months due to the credit crunch. Cheers USA ;)

popch
March 14th, 2008, 05:06 PM
One thing I can guarentee all IT managers is that IT budgets will reduce over the next 18 months due to the credit crunch. Cheers USA ;)

Mine will not. It came pre-shrunk.

Costs per seat for my department: about 12 to 16 kCHF p.a. which nowadays equates to roughly the same number of USDs. That figure includes the cost of the central server farm, a pretty fast and robust MAN, several proprietary applications of various sizes, manpower to operate and support the whole thing plus overhead. We're reducing those costs by introducing client management technology and standards, of sorts.

fatality_uk
March 14th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Mine will not. It came pre-shrunk.

Ah, so true...