PDA

View Full Version : Printer/Scanner Recommendations?

Kat of Zion
March 13th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I know this question was asked back in Nov. of 2006 and may have been asked since then but...

Is finding a scanner/printer so hard?? I mean, I guess it is since almost every company out there builds these things like appliances that you will just replace year after year. Its annoying and for someone like me, doesnt strike me as very efficient. I was sooo disappointed when my Epson packed up just a few months ago.

Any recommendations on a scanner/printer that wont pack up after just 8-10 months of use? Is that just too much to ask in such a disposable world?

Artist without Scanner
Kat

acirilo
March 15th, 2008, 01:14 AM
i use the HP5510 it works great but i really want a laser color printer...

Dont' buy a Canon..it's murder trying to get it installed

Kat of Zion
March 15th, 2008, 01:38 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Officejet-5510-All-in-1-Printer-Fax-Copier-Scanner_W0QQitemZ270219112511QQihZ017QQcategoryZ17 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You mean this?

madjr
March 15th, 2008, 02:46 AM
hp works really good in ubuntu.

i just wished they sold pc's with it, but time will tell

jflaker
March 15th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Stay away from Lexmark! They are paperweights when it comes to Linux.......ABSOLUTELY NO SUPPORT for them at all and according to Lexmark, there will be no support.

Kat of Zion
March 15th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Stay away from Lexmark! They are paperweights when it comes to Linux.......ABSOLUTELY NO SUPPORT for them at all and according to Lexmark, there will be no support.

Lexmarks are crap...period. They were so bad that it brought my IT boyfriend who has the patience of Bhudda to take a baseball bat to a Lexmark printer.

Forrest Gumpp
March 15th, 2008, 02:58 AM
@Kat of Zion

Have you considered a Brother printer/scanner/copier?

See this link for why I did: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4391098&postcount=8

If an inkjet printer is sufficient for your requirements, reducing the cost of replacement cartridges is a key point of consideration.

Kat of Zion
March 15th, 2008, 03:05 AM
@Kat of Zion

Have you considered a Brother printer/scanner/copier?

See this link for why I did: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4391098&postcount=8

If an inkjet printer is sufficient for your requirements, reducing the cost of replacement cartridges is a key point of consideration.

I have no opinion on Brother as I have never ever owned one. It looks like it has alot of good features. My Epson also had seperate CMY and K cartridges. I do think that an inkjet is sufficient. Im probably still aways going to go to another printer to print any of my digital art commissions so a laserjet (while preferred) isnt entirely necessary.

freebeer
March 15th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Depending on your budget, the Xerox printers might we worth looking at. My Phaser 8500 (doesn't scan, tho, so doesn't fit your requirement) was super-silly easy to install. Ubuntu (6.06!) auto-recognized it across the network the minute I plugged it in, IIRC. The same was true for a Konica-Minolta C250 I have at the office, but I don't imagine that's gonna be in your budget range. :D

acirilo
March 15th, 2008, 04:26 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Officejet-5510-All-in-1-Printer-Fax-Copier-Scanner_W0QQitemZ270219112511QQihZ017QQcategoryZ17 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You mean this?
yea that the one i have.. i also have a Canon MF4150 but i can't get the scanner to work on it.. so like i said.. no Canon ..if i was you.

frrobert
March 15th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I recently got an HP L7680 and works great. Everything worked with the latest HPLIP package. I can not speak about durability with this device, but my last 2 HP printers were very durable, one lasted 17 years and the other other is still going after 7 years.

J3rry
March 15th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I have a Brother HL2070N. Makes a good job out of the box.
My second printer is a Canon ip4000 using turboprint.

Sef
March 15th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I have an HP PSC 1610 that comes with slots for cards including sd. It is nice to be able to download the pics without using my camera. My PSC works OOTB, once it was plugged in with Gutsy.

I'm not sure what the newest version of my printer, but I would expect it to work just as well.