PDA

View Full Version : is Ubuntu the most popular Linux distro?

bmbeeman
October 6th, 2005, 02:22 AM
I've seen several websites refer to Ubuntu as the most popular Linux distro, but others show it as the most unpopular distro (linuxcounter.org) and I was wondering where I could get accurate results because I'm curious to see what they say.

ubuntumaneh
October 6th, 2005, 02:25 AM
one site is: http://distrowatch.com/

KLineD
October 6th, 2005, 02:25 AM
According to distrowatch.com it is the most popular distro and has been for months.

circussideshow
October 6th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Personally I think it's hard to tell because any where you go you will get varied results and there's really no sure way to determine exact distro stats. The linux counter is voluntary signup so, possibly Ubuntu types don't really care for this, but if you check distrowatch, Ubuntu has been on the top for like 3 months. From my perception, Fedora Core was all the rage in 2004 and now Ubuntu is the running fad (poor analogy?). Unless people just sit and spam distrowatch, I think their page hit counter is generally accurate, except I don't think Ubuntu is number one in terms of use, just recent popularity and "hype" if you will.

xavierh
October 6th, 2005, 02:43 AM
I was using Mandriva until 2 months ago, and I switch to ubuntu mainly because it does not feel as bloated. Don't get me wrong, Mandriva is very good as a distro and there is still a lot of room for Ubuntu to improve.

the other thing that made me switch was the community. I'm an avid reader of the linuxquestions.org and the madrivausers.org forums, but the sense of community here is greater here than on those forums.

But of course....all these things are subjective. At the end of the day is whether or not you can do what you need to do? Can i do my stuff (serving media to xbmc, running vmware, internet, chat, bittorrent) on any particular distro? Of course....some are easier, others are not. I feel that ubuntu has that "simple" feeling of "getting things done the right way".

poofyhairguy
October 6th, 2005, 03:00 AM
I've seen several websites refer to Ubuntu as the most popular Linux distro, but others show it as the most unpopular distro (linuxcounter.org) and I was wondering where I could get accurate results because I'm curious to see what they say.

It is impossible to measure. There is not way to tell. No standard to go by. Your just going to have to live with "Ubuntu is one of the most popular" and never know the true #1.

bmbeeman
October 6th, 2005, 03:14 AM
lol, sometimes I wish I wasn't so damn curious :-D

mstlyevil
October 6th, 2005, 03:23 AM
I can tell you that Ubuntu is the most talked about Linux distro right now. There is a lot more good press about it than bad press. CNet even had a front page article on News.com. Like it or hate it, Ubuntu is probally the most popular distro for the moment.

adamb10
October 6th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Most talked about? Hell yes. Most Popular? NO way. I'd really have to give that to Gentoo or even Slackware.

mstlyevil
October 6th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Ubuntu is probally the most popular distro for the moment.

Most talked about? Hell yes. Most Popular? NO way. I'd really have to give that to Gentoo or even Slackware.

If you noticed in my last post I said for the moment. That implies that it is not actually the most popular.

ubuntumaneh
October 6th, 2005, 03:36 AM
A funny test, however. Go to google and type the distro name (by the time of this post):

Distro: Google hits

Ubuntu: 9,700,000
Debian: 30,500,000
Slackware: 7,770,00
Gentoo: 10,400,000
Fedora: 14,100,000
Mandriva: 4,770,000

All of you could list a huge number of buts to this process. Anyway, I would like to know more about more accurate methods of evaluating stats in the web community. Furthermore, is someone to give (a funny, if you will) scientific read of this data?

Omnios
October 6th, 2005, 03:36 AM
To me it is #1 because its the one I use "Emote : chuckle"