PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about making an in-car multimedia center running Ubuntu, feedback?

rainwalker
March 13th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Rather than getting a stereo and plugging in an external player via USB or auxiliary jack, I'm thinking of making a miniature computer type thing to put in my car. It's similar to the things people do on www.mp3car.com except I don't want a full-fledged computer in there, just something capable of browsing and playing a hard drive of at least 4 gigs (I'm guessing).
I was thinking about building a little machine capable of running Xubuntu, maybe? With Elisa (http://elisa.fluendo.com/) running on top of it to browse all the files. I don't know much about building computers, especially small ones that would be able to run Xubuntu or some other (graphical) OS, nor do I know much about hardware compatibility.
Please, if anyone has any advice, suggestions, or pointers, they'd be greatly appreciated :)

P.S. - Alternatively, I was thinking about getting a stereo with a hard drive built-in. If anyone can recommend one, please do!

WastingBody
March 13th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I actually looked into building a system like that, though I lacked the funding and real inspiration for it. You could use old hardware from a used computer or buy something new and small. There are also touch screens for cars that you can get that are supported.

Oh, I forgot to mention, Xbox Media Center is now running on Feisty Fawn. That would be a great base for what you would probably want to use.

rainwalker
March 13th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Are there any relatively cheap touchscreens? You're talking to a 16-year-old with no job, so I'm giong to have to convince my parents to buy everything :p

WastingBody
March 14th, 2008, 04:47 AM
You've run into the same dilemma I ran into.

rainwalker
March 14th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Ah...well I think I'm going to go with a normal stereo then.
The Sony CDX-GT410U looks good, and it has a USB port so I can plug in an external drive