PDA

View Full Version : windows disk cloning issue

&)ky#)^
March 13th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I know that this is the UBUNTU forum and not the WINDOWS forum, but this is my community and maybe it can help me out.

I used Clonezilla to create an image of my wife's hard drive because I'm moving her to a newer computer. She uses Windows XP. I've tried similar things before and they all lead to this same problem. After I've cloned the original hard disk and boot from the cloned disk, first I get a blue screen. Then, when I reboot, I get the dialog asking if I want to go into safe mode. When I try to boot into safe mode, that crashes, too. Any ideas how to fix this? I figure it has to be some kind of crazy driver conflict or something since the new computer doesn't have much in common with the original.

LaRoza
March 13th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Do you have the license for this computer? That is illegal otherwise. Cloning Windows should only be done for backups of that computer.

Read the EULA.

And yes, taking an image of one OS (any) and trying to use it on a different computer won't work.

Thread Closed.

jdong
March 15th, 2008, 06:55 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=723951

For posterity, the subject of this thread's closing was discussed in the Resolution Center and we reached the conclusion that the thread should not have been closed. However, the problem in the thread has been addressed so I will not reopen this thread.

LaRoza
March 15th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Do you have the license for this computer? That is illegal otherwise. Cloning Windows should only be done for backups of that computer.

Read the EULA.

And yes, taking an image of one OS (any) and trying to use it on a different computer won't work.

Thread Closed.

I would like to point out that this post doesn't say anyone is a criminal. It is laying out the conditions for an illegal action.

(I would have reopened the thread had it not been solved)