PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 7.10 Installation of Ruby, Rails, Mongrel, SQLite3, Sun-Java-Jdk & Netbeans

Stagiros
March 12th, 2008, 06:39 PM
This is for helping those of you who want to install a software framework, for web development, on Ubuntu 7.10.

It uses Ruby, Rails, Mongrel, Sqlite3, Sun-Java-Jdk & Netbeans.

Install Ruby, Rails, Mongrel & Sqlite3

Update package repository.
sudo apt-get update

Upgrade distribution.
apt-get dist-upgrade

Install "ruby1.8" & stuff.
sudo apt-get install ruby ri irb ruby1.8-dev libruby1.8-dbg libdbm-ruby1.8 libgdbm-ruby1.8 libopenssl-ruby1.8

Download "rubygems-1.0.1.tgz" from "http://rubyforge.org/".

Extract "rubygems-1.0.1.tgz".

Install "rubygems-1.0.1"
cd rubygems-1.0.1
sudo ruby setup.rb all

Update gems.
sudo gem update --system

Install gem "rails-2.0.2".
sudo gem install rails --include-dependencies

Install "mongrel" gem.
sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo gem install mongrel --include-dependencies

Install Sqlite3 & stuff.
sudo apt-get install swig sqlite3 libsqlite3-dev libsqlite3-ruby

Install "sqlite3" gem.
sudo gem install sqlite3-ruby

Install Sun's java-jdk & Netbeans

Add Hardy repository.

Update package repository.
sudo apt-get update
Install Sun's java
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

Remove Hardy repository, so that you revert back to your stable Gutsy one, and update package repository again.
apt-get update

Download netbeans-6.0.1-ml-ruby-linux.sh from the Netbeans site if not in the repository

Install Netbeans
chmod +x netbeans-6.0.1-ml-ruby-linux.sh
sudo sh netbeans-6.0.1-ml-ruby-linux.sh

If during installation you see any gtk errors, ignore them and continue.

If at the end of the installation you do not see an icon of Netbeans sitting on your desktop, do the following:
1. Launch "System --> Preferences --> Main Menu"
2. Click on "Applications".
3. Click on "Programming".
4. Click on button "+ New Item".
5. Specify "Type:" as "Application"
6. Specify "Name:" as "NetBeans IDE 6.0.1"
7. Specify "Command:" as "/usr/local/netbeans-6.0.1/bin/netbeans"
8. Click on the button with the spring icon (Top left of the window).
9. Browse to folder /usr/local/netbeans-6.0.1/nb6.0 and press the button "Open".
10. Select "netbeans.png" and press the button "OK".
11. You should be able to see the netbeans icon now instead of the spring. Click on button "OK".
12. Go to menu "Applications --> Programming" and drag the "NetBeans IDE 6.0.1" icon on your desktop.

That is all. You can now develop using Ruby On Rails, SQLite3 and NetBeans.

*** If you find anything that does not work as stated or have something to add, please post a reply.

AnotherDave
March 27th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the guide. Unfortunately, it is not complete and will not work as written (or maybe I'm missing something???)

Under Upgrade distribution I needed to sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. No biggie, I can figure that one out.

But I don't understand why under Install "rubygems-1.0.1 that sudo ruby setup.rb all doesn't work. There is no /usr/bin/ruby.

Shouldn't we have installed ruby before this point???

mssever
March 27th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the guide. Unfortunately, it is not complete and will not work as written (or maybe I'm missing something???)

Under Upgrade distribution I needed to sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. No biggie, I can figure that one out.

But I don't understand why under Install "rubygems-1.0.1 that sudo ruby setup.rb all doesn't work. There is no /usr/bin/ruby.

Shouldn't we have installed ruby before this point???

I'm pretty sure that Ruby is part on a default Ubuntu install. But regardless, Ruby is a dependency for many of the installed packages (ri, irb, etc.). So if you don't have Ruby, your system is broken, not this HOWTO. (Though I don't necessarily endorse the HOWTO.)

Of course, you can install rubygems (and the gems listed in the guide) from the repos if you want.

sullivan.t
March 29th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks so much for this! It's a great list of "must have" apps!

Stagiros
March 31st, 2008, 10:14 AM
Dear AnotherDave, I have checked thoroughly this guide guide before posting it. It works. It is what I did on my system, which I am using for production development.

If you perform the step "Install "ruby1.8" & stuff." exactly as stated and then the steps "Download "rubygems-1.0.1.tgz" from "http://rubyforge.org/"." & "Extract "rubygems-1.0.1.tgz"." & "Install "rubygems-1.0.1"" in that exact order, everything will work as expected. Try it again and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for taking the time to read it anyway.

kup3rt1n0
April 1st, 2008, 04:30 PM
Actually, I had the same issue as AnotherDave.

It seems the packages listed don't install the ruby command line interpreter. Also, it was not installed by default on my system (7.10 desktop). The only thing I did different than the HOWTO was I installed rubygems from the repos and I somehow doubt the rubygems tarball installs the ruby CLI.

However, a quick apt-get install ruby took care of the problem...

mssever
April 2nd, 2008, 04:25 AM
Actually, I had the same issue as AnotherDave.
<snip>
However, a quick apt-get install ruby took care of the problem...

I looked into this further, and discovered that ri, irb, and friends install ruby1.8 by dependency, not ruby. I've reported a bug about this (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ruby-defaults/+bug/210631), where I also explained the situation in greater detail. The workaround is, as you said, to explicitly install ruby, or to use ruby1.8; e.g.,
ruby1.8 foo.rb

sudo apt-get install ri
sudo apt-get install irb
sudo apt-get install ri1.8
sudo apt-get install ruby1.8-dev
sudo apt-get install libruby1.8-dbg
sudo apt-get install libdbm-ruby1.8
sudo apt-get install libgdbm-ruby1.8
sudo apt-get install libopenssl-ruby1.8
@OP: I suggest you update this section of your original post to reflect this bug in Ruby's packaging:
sudo aptitude install ruby ri irb ruby1.8-dev linruby1.8-dbg libdbm-ruby1.8 libgdbm-ruby1.8 libopenssl-ruby1.8Note that I put it all in one command. Installing each package separately wastes a huge amount of time. Also, some of the packages you listed, such as libruby1.8-dbg and libopenssl-ruby1.8 are only useful in certain situations.

Stagiros
April 2nd, 2008, 11:44 AM
What goes on in your case is what user "mssever" suggests. The executable "ruby1.8" is installed as a depedency for the packages ir, irb but it is not linked to "ruby".

To end this once and for all, so everybody can install everything as stated, I did what user "mssever" suggested. To the portion entitled "
Install "ruby1.8" & stuff.", I added the command "sudo apt-get install ruby". That will fix the problem.

So thank you all for the feedback and those of you that had problems, thank "mssever" for the quick fix.

Enjoy your development!

mssever
April 2nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
To end this once and for all, so everybody can install everything as stated, I did what user "mssever" suggested. To the portion entitled "
Install "ruby1.8" & stuff.", I added the command "sudo apt-get install ruby". That will fix the problem.
A couple more suggestions: First, if you list the install command as one command, people can copy and paste if they want, instead of having to manually type each command. See the example in my post above. Obviously, no one other than a newbie would run the commands as given; there's a significant time penalty (often measured in minutes) every time you run apt-get or aptitude. If tou combine all the installs into one command, you only pay that penalty once, instead of once per package.

My second suggestion is that you simply list ri. Since ri depends on ri1.8, there's no reason to explicitly name ri1.8.

Stagiros
April 2nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
The reason I listed installs as a series of separate commands was for the newbies to have a clearer understanding of what is going on.

As far as performance is concerned, I can only say I am sorry if that has proven a resource hog for people with weak Pcs. I have a fairly powerful machine and tend to forget about performance issues. Sorry again.

Anyway, I have made the changes you suggest to keep things efficient and clear.

Thanks for the suggestions.