PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu VS windows VS mac

weston133
October 5th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Which is a better operating system in YOUR opinion? Ubuntu, Windows XP, or Mac OS X Tiger? :confused:

agger
October 5th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Ubuntu is better than Windows XP in practically all respects (except the range of hardware support). I don't really know OSX, but FreeBSD (on which it is built) is excellent, so I suspect it might be, too.

torstenprahl
October 5th, 2005, 10:09 PM
I think I would put OSX just a little bit above Ubuntu just cause of it's eye candy and ease of use. Forget XP.

mstlyevil
October 5th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I can't honestly say one is better than the other. They all have their plusses and minuses. I believe that a person should choose what works best for them. But to say that one is better than another is more of a personal nature than anything else.

scourge
October 5th, 2005, 10:29 PM
I'm a traditional Linux user, I love the whole idea of freedom and open source, so I of course raise Ubuntu on the highest pedestal.

Ubuntu is better than Windows XP in practically all respects (except the range of hardware support)

I don't think we should grade the OSes based on third party support (because then Windows would be the clear winner) but rather on their own merits. I think out-of-the-box hardware support is actually better in Ubuntu.

majikstreet
October 5th, 2005, 10:33 PM
IMO Ubuntu is way better than Windows. I have never used OSX Tiger. I have used Mac OS9 and maybe some even before that. Those were HORRID!

OSX Tiger looks quite nice though, if only they had a free PC version ;)

majikstreet

xequence
October 5th, 2005, 10:44 PM
You'll get biased opinions here. You'll get biased opinions on a mac site. You'll get biased opinions on a windows site.

I personally havnt used OSX. I dont like XP, I do like windows 2000. I also like ubuntu. I currently just use windows 2000 now, because my hard drive isnt big. Id love to use both, I need windows for games and some linux programs just dont cut it. When I get a better computer ill probably dual boot again.

YourSurrogateGod
October 5th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Ubuntu > XP > OSX

/from my experience...

mrtaber
October 5th, 2005, 11:09 PM
I have a computer (one each) with all three. I have a nice Windows box (soon to be converted or sold), a lovely PowerBook 17" with Tiger, and my Linux workstation. Guess where I spend 90% of my computer time? Yup, the Linux box. I'm a tinkerer at heart. Tiger is really nice, and I love the search capability (as well as the eye candy and the Dashboard widgets). I just get...bored. Add into the mix the fact that I'm ripping and encoding my entire CD collection to FLAC...

I'm keeping Windows XP Pro around to play Civ 4 when it comes out. Civ is my all-time favorite game :)

Mark

NeoSNightmarE
October 5th, 2005, 11:09 PM
For me- Ubuntu>OSX>XP

OSX is good because of the way it can handle video editing and other things of that nature whereas Ubuntu is Linux and Linux is good because of the open sourceness to it and the configurability.

aysiu
October 5th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Whatever works for you is the best system for you.

BoyOfDestiny
October 5th, 2005, 11:40 PM
yawn... what no DOS this time? Single tasking not good enough eh?
Windows: closed source and proprietary
Windows works, but the route it is heading ******* me off (DRM).
Mac OSX: closed source and proprietary
OSX is going to head down a similar path most likely (or at least in terms of what machine you must have to install it)

Linux: open source with lots of GPL
What can I say, if it's not yet what you need, it will be in time. Loads of potential, and the real rebel here. A large corp whos highest concern is making money is not the sole owner. It belongs to all of us.

(P.S I know sun wants free DRM, but either way it's dumb or easier to defeat... so that's ok too)

darkmatter
October 5th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Windows works,

Indeed. Except for the lack of proper 'code sharing' (and I'm not talking source), which make windows virtually incapable of multi-tasking.

Don't get me wrong, Windoes does have it's good points. Not many, but they are there.

OS X- never used Mac. But the fact that it runs a hybrid BSD/Mach kernel makes me REALLY want to give it a try.

Linux and UNIX- They do everything I need (and more), There is really not much more to say, IMHO

All OS have their little quirks, but in the end it's a matter of personal preference

poofyhairguy
October 5th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Hmmmm.......

I like OSX just a tiny bit more than Ubuntu one week, then the next I like Ubuntu more. They are both very good. OSX holds together better, but Ubuntu can do the tricks I like more. When the Intel Mac come, I will have one to dual bood Ubuntu/OSX.

Windows.....well......

Wesley
October 6th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Whatever works for you is the best system for you.

exactly

XP>OSX>Ubuntu

Omnios
October 6th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Ubuntu with KDE gives me more than XP ever can and I can customize it. Software wise, well its harder to find kind of a pain to install but I have access to software that I would not be able to afford in XP. Being on a dissability Ubuntu just makes a hell of a lot of sense for me.

Goober
October 6th, 2005, 12:44 AM
I've only ever used OSX, well, MacOS anything for like a couple minutes at friend's houses, and, well, I've never really mucked around with it, and gotten to know it. I don't like the sterile look, but I bet you can change that.

XP is crap. I detest Windows, for very good reasons. 'nuff said about that.

Linux has been a godsend for me. I can change things to my heart's content, it doesn't crash, and it detects everything.

So, obviously, it would go Linux>OSX>XP. I am not sure if I would prefer OSX over Linux if I used it, but if somebody *donated* me a nice new Mac Laptop pernamently, then I could let you know . . . *shifty eyes*

laforge
October 6th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Depends what it is used for a by who.

I like windows easy use and about of free software on the net. I use it on my Desktop for gaming and other sort of stuff Ubuntu isn't stuited for.

OSX have a very nice GUI but its not too user-friendly in some aspects. My sister has a Mac mini with Tiger. Its very cool and nice, takes some getting use to but after that it's useful for graphics and stuff.

Linux IMHO is more for all around. I like it for my laptop because it can meet my needs. I don't game on my laptop, just surf web, chat, web development, and write documents. It suits all those requirements. It is not for someone new to computers though. Takes some experience and paitence.

So they are all have their own pros and cons, even though i listed only the cons.

Curlydave
October 6th, 2005, 01:26 AM
I'm a Windows guy unti ATI cards are fully supported in Linux and a free equivolent of Cedega is developed.

matthew
October 6th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Which is a better operating system in YOUR opinion? Ubuntu, Windows XP, or Mac OS X Tiger? :confused: Uh...better for what? The purpose for which it will be used makes a HUGE difference in how I would answer this question.

poofyhairguy
October 6th, 2005, 02:07 AM
I'm a Windows guy unti ATI cards are fully supported in Linux and a free equivolent of Cedega is developed.

Ouch. A gamer and ATI own. Throw in a network you have to be a part of with a broadcom wireless card and a MSN webcam addiction and you would be the model for an incompatible time!

Curlydave
October 6th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Ouch. A gamer and ATI own. Throw in a network you have to be a part of with a broadcom wireless card and a MSN webcam addiction and you would be the model for an incompatible time!

Yea, I wish that I had considered Linux when choosing a video card for my computer... I guess you could ammend my comment with the addion of "or if I buy a new [nVidia] video card." I don't think that will happen any time soon though as a good video card is easly the most expensive part of a computer by a comfortable margin, and the one I have is the x800 which is a quite decent card in windows, so it would not be a financially good decision to upgrade at this point.

Psquared
October 6th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Can't really add much. I've used older versions of Mac OSs and thought they were pretty good, but I preferred Windows - especially when 95 came out.

I spend most of my time in Linux. I've tried FC2 and now Ubuntu. I'm looking forward to upgrading to Breezy when it goes final next week.

Thunderbird is better than Outlook
Firefox and Epiphany are both better and safer than Explorer
OOffice is as good and MS Office

Wireless ability (and hardware in general) is superior in XP (SP2) than Linux. I think that will be fixed soon though.

I don't do much gaming.

Some websites require Explorer.

mstlyevil
October 6th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Yea, I wish that I had considered Linux when choosing a video card for my computer... I guess you could ammend my comment with the addion of "or if I buy a new [nVidia] video card." I don't think that will happen any time soon though as a good video card is easly the most expensive part of a computer by a comfortable margin, and the one I have is the x800 which is a quite decent card in windows, so it would not be a financially good decision to upgrade at this point.

Go get a 6600 GT and overclock it. You can buy one for 150 bucks online.

Curlydave
October 6th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Go get a 6600 GT and overclock it. You can buy one for 150 bucks online.

That is a good deal and would improve my Linux performance, but I don't want to spend $150 on a downgrade. (and iirc it's the stock 6600 that's ~$150, not the GT)

skoal
October 6th, 2005, 04:37 AM
These type threads go through so many wash rinse repeat cycles I'll roll with it anyways this time by trying something different...

XP and Tiger sound too car modelish and serious to me. The Ubuntu name alone provides countless hours of entertainment on it's variations, such as: Ubiedoobie, Ubuwubu, Ooglieboogley, or even Ububooyah! How about anagram games: "U B U, U NUT!". Or the not to be missed avatar mixing game: Ubuskoaltu. And last but not least, the Abbott and Costello "who's on first" and let's have some fun with our inquisitive but confused XP friends game: Ubuwhodo? I do!

On a more "serious" note, TOS (Tramiel Operating System) rulez! That is all.

\\//_

mstlyevil
October 6th, 2005, 04:44 AM
That is a good deal and would improve my Linux performance, but I don't want to spend $150 on a downgrade. (and iirc it's the stock 6600 that's ~$150, not the GT)

You can find one on pricewatch.com for 150 bucks. It is a evga 6600 gt. I believe it was newegg.com that had it for that price, but check with pricewatch to find out who has it at that price. If ypu are moving to just linux then I would not consider it a downgrade since Nvidia gives you better driver support.

Curlydave
October 6th, 2005, 05:03 AM
You can find one on pricewatch.com for 150 bucks. It is a evga 6600 gt. I believe it was newegg.com that had it for that price, but check with pricewatch to find out who has it at that price. If ypu are moving to just linux then I would not consider it a downgrade since Nvidia gives you better driver support.

Hey, you're right. I was thinking of the 6800 GT. oops. And yea, if I wanted to switch to Linux completely then it would definitely be a good bet.

poofyhairguy
October 6th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Hey, you're right. I was thinking of the 6800 GT. oops. And yea, if I wanted to switch to Linux completely then it would definitely be a good bet.

I bought one two months ago when I decided no stop booting into Windows as much. Does a great job with xcompmgr!

drizek
October 6th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Ubuntu > XP > OSX
/from my experience...

True dat.

phrozen
October 6th, 2005, 09:00 AM
OSX is great coz its fast and still easy for most people to use without realy learning anything new(evan tho lots of people complain about it not being network friendly and stuff coz they just got off XP and think they are computer literate)plus it has a great look and feel, if it was available on different cpus and stuff i wud buy that over XP anyday, and you can get hacks of it that install on x86 class processors, i am not sure about the performance here tho, when apple moves to intel chips i may try out some hacks then as there will probs be some great OSX hacks
linux and ubuntu in general are all great, alltho im sure some suck, but who cares, i wudnt mind trying my hand at a distro of linux once i learn to program properly, and im sure that would suck (maybe not, i am a perfectionest who would spend ages just getting a basic desktop package with everything perfect)
XP, meh, to easy to get viruses and get hacked evan if you are carefull
win200 was great

dino303
October 6th, 2005, 12:40 PM
I've been using all three OSes for quite some time now and by now, OS X is the one I like the most for desktop computing and is also the one I would always recommend to total computer noobs.
I use linux at work for programming and I love its versatility, the control you have over every aspect, the stability, how efficiently things can be done with bash scripts and friends and of course the fact that it's free (as in freedom) and community supported for the most part. However, for the less initiated computer user there's still too much confrontation with scary command line stuff and low level messages he doesn't (want/need to) understand.
Windows is the worst of all three as we all agree ;-). It's overbloated with options and usesless eyecandy. I hate its stupid wizards and all its patronizing. Though I must admit that the OS itself has become quite stable with the release of NT/XP. But the philosophy behind its user interface is just plain stupid.
OS X is best of both worlds IMHO. You have alle the *X power under the hood, open a terminal and you're there. The average user however just sees a beautifully designed GUI. Slim and easy to use. Yes there is eyecandy, but it's done nicely as opposed to XP or vista for that matter. You will miss the wealth of options from your average ******* app in the beginning, but after a while this actually turns out to be a relief.
I really hope the linux community will choose the right path to make this superb os more user friendly. This won't be achieved by imitating windows. Rather by sticking to the "less is more" approach as in gnome for example .

commodore
October 6th, 2005, 02:05 PM
In my opinion os x is even better than ubuntu in some things but ubuntu is free and that gives a lot of points to ubuntu. Like people said before- forget xp.

ubuntu>os x >xp

bored2k
October 6th, 2005, 02:50 PM
In alphabetical order:
Apple's Mac OS
Canonical's Ubuntu
Microsoft's Windows
Others.

Let each user decide what's best for him and his pocket.