PDA

View Full Version : CAD for Linux

lyam_kaskade
October 5th, 2005, 09:48 PM
This may be the wrong place to post, so tell me if it is.
I've begun using AutoCAD for university, which is one of few programs that doesn't seem to have a Linux equivalent. Does anyone know about an open source CAD program? or if there is one in the works?

efpc2003
October 5th, 2005, 10:03 PM
I've begun using AutoCAD for university, which is one of few programs that doesn't seem to have a Linux equivalent. Does anyone know about an open source CAD program? or if there is one in the works?
I think there is one similar program..... "QCAD"...google it!

Omnios
October 5th, 2005, 10:36 PM
I think there is one similar program..... "QCAD"...google it!

Sweet my dad keeps asking me for Autocad for Linux is this is comparable to autocad he might even go pure Linux

majikstreet
October 5th, 2005, 10:37 PM
I know nothing about CAD...

Here are some links to get you started:
http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=CAD&section=projects&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Always always search freshmeat!

And you *must* search sourceforge too!
http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=CAD&imageField.x=0&imageField.y=0

lyam_kaskade
October 5th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Sweet my dad keeps asking me for Autocad for Linux is this is comparable to autocad he might even go pure Linux

It looks similar to AutoCAD Lite, which is probably the most you could get on a home computer, without paying thousands of dollars in licensing fees.
AutoCAD also has 3D rendering though, while QCAD is 2D.

bmbeeman
October 6th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Wow, thanks guys, this will help me tremendously in my Drafting class, not to mention I can no do my work on my LINUX laptop instead of thier WINDOWS desktop :-D

newbie2
October 6th, 2005, 07:24 AM
1 ) Varkon.
2 ) Linuxcad. [Prop, ~100$]
3 ) Varicad. [Prop]
4 ) Cycas. [Prop]
5 ) Tomcad.
6 ) Thancad.
7 ) Fandango (alpha-version).
8 ) Lignumcad.
9 ) Giram.
10) Jcad.
11) QSCad.
12) FreeEngineer.
13) Ocadis.
14) PythonCAD.
15) OpenCascade.
Qcad
http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=50826

phen
October 6th, 2005, 12:20 PM
dunno how much money you wanna spend, but i think CATIA is available for linux, too :-)

there is one running on solaris (might work with other nixes): CADDS

but both are expensive. if you find good links to linux CAD systems, please post them here:

wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuScientists

cheers

newbie2
October 6th, 2005, 05:36 PM
dunno how much money you wanna spend, but i think CATIA is available for linux, too :-)
but both are expensive. if you find good links to linux CAD systems, please post them here:
wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuScientists (http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuScientists)
cheers
you can insert a link directly ;)

jmooney
October 9th, 2005, 07:03 PM

Besides QCAD, there is also this (in beta testing)

http://www.progesoft.com/compra/index.asp?left=../cadforlinux/main&lang=eng&abspage=1

Goober
October 9th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Ohh, QCAD looks sweet, thanks for mentioning it!

I am currently downloading it through Synpatic in Breezy, when it's done, I shall tell you guys how it works. In fact, it might even be available through the add/remove applications thingie in Breezy . . .

Ok, I just finished installing it, QCad is available through Synaptic. I haven't a clue how to use it, but I think some time and trial and error will solve that . . .

Wide
October 9th, 2005, 08:42 PM

CATIA just ended support for Unix (HP Solaris, no linux) systems with V5r15.
They are going windows only from now on.

I do have it running under VmWare however it leaves something to be desired.

This is one of those cases that I had to build a windows box to run it along with all the bells & whistles of the ultimate gamming machine, that was fun....

There really is nothing as far as CAD for linux that can be used in a production environment, simple, very simple tasks yes.

Wish there was a better answer:cool:

ziad
December 30th, 2005, 09:13 PM
for professional grade CAD and meshing software you should take a look at OpenCascade and Salome-Platform. fully compatible with linux and backed by industrial consortia for good measure. They work very well and compare quite favorably with proprietary stuff. There's also BRL-CAD (US army product) which has a flavor of its own.

Z.

eMuNiX
December 30th, 2005, 09:42 PM
CATIA just ended support for Unix (HP Solaris, no linux) systems with V5r15.
They are going windows only from now on.

I do have it running under VmWare however it leaves something to be desired.

This is one of those cases that I had to build a windows box to run it along with all the bells & whistles of the ultimate gamming machine, that was fun....

There really is nothing as far as CAD for linux that can be used in a production environment, simple, very simple tasks yes.

Wish there was a better answer:cool:
Same as Unigraphics are ending Unix support, such a shame as I have used the package in VMS, Unix and Windows and in all environments it was comparable and equally capable. Have used Catia, Inventor and ProE in Windows only and wish that they would back track to *nix.

curuxz
December 30th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Personaly Im not a great fan of QCAD, but am still in the process of testing others. Im studing to be arch technologist, so if any of you are one or an architect please tell me if you have found a good tool for making blue prints and 3d renderings of both interiors and exterirors of buildings. :)

Wide
December 31st, 2005, 12:24 AM
Same as Unigraphics are ending Unix support, such a shame as I have used the package in VMS, Unix and Windows and in all environments it was comparable and equally capable. Have used Catia, Inventor and ProE in Windows only and wish that they would back track to *nix.

One good thing about the new V5r16, it has native 64 bit support, really snappy for those big projects, It uses half the memory.

Sweet ;)