PDA

View Full Version : What is a Cold Boot?

X5-655
October 5th, 2005, 09:45 PM
I know what it is, but someone in another forum is arguing to me what a cold boot is. Can someone here please put what a cold boot and a warm boot in laymen terms for them?

X5-655
October 5th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Here's that other forum I am talking about. I am "blackevilweredragon" there.

http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=197267&curr=0

You can see how this ignorance is driving me bonkers...

Kvark
October 5th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Point that guy in another forum to these links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_reboot (aka warm boot)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_reboot (aka cold boot)

ubuntumaneh
October 5th, 2005, 09:57 PM
In wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_reboot

In layman terms: By an example, the power is down, then when it is recovered, you start the computer. Then, as you can see in the log of initialization the filesystem has to be recovered.

cheers

X5-655
October 5th, 2005, 10:38 PM
It's no use guys, he's still being stubborn saying that Windows VISTA has no shut down option, and hence when VISTA is installed, there is no COLD boot.

Are these guys really the new tech of the day? Dang, they suck...

blastus
October 5th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I have always associated the term "cold boot" (or "hard boot") with cutting off the power to the computer, i.e. initiating a shutdown and then physically cutting off the power to the unit (either through the power switch on the back of the computer or through a power strip or by physically unplugging it), then restoring power, and then turning the computer back on again.

Technically, a computer will use a small amount of power even when turned off so, in my mind, turning off a computer and then turning it back on again is a "cold boot" but it is not a "true cold boot" (if there is such a term.) For example, I once had a network card that could only be reset by physically cutting the power to the computer it was attached to--just turning off the computer did not reset the card.

In my mind, a "warm boot" (or "soft boot") is when a computer is rebooted but the power is not cutoff to it (i.e. the computer is not powered down) during that process.

These are my opinions. Others may have different opinions.

X5-655
October 5th, 2005, 10:47 PM
I have always associated the term "cold boot" (or "hard boot") with cutting off the power to the computer, i.e. initiating a shutdown and then physically cutting off the power to the unit (either through the power switch on the back of the computer or through a power strip or by physically unplugging it), then restoring power, and then turning the computer back on again.
Technically, a computer will use a small amount of power even when turned off so, in my mind, turning off a computer and then turning it back on again is a "cold boot" but it is not a "true cold boot" (if there is such a term.) For example, I once had a network card that could only be reset by physically cutting the power to the computer it was attached to--just turning off the computer did not reset the card.
In my mind, a "warm boot" (or "soft boot") is when a computer is rebooted but the power is not cutoff to it (i.e. the computer is not powered down) during that process.
These are my opinions. Others may have different opinions.
You pretty much have it, but a cold boot by definition is still cold even with the power plug in. A cold boot is when the computer is turned on, after it has been powered off, where the CPU has no charge, RAM has no charge, and BIOS is not active.

Though, this person wants me to believe that if Vista is installed, a computer will not cold boot, even if the power plug is pulled, which is just ignorance.

I pointed him to this thread on this forum, but all he could say to me there was "yea whoo linux forum.
vista doesn't have a shut-down procedure thus it can't cold booth.
there is a fixed 256MB cache which isn't flushed after power-outage thus a real hard-boot is impossible in 80% of the cases."

So, I know and all the techs around me right now what he is saying is ludicrous, but he expects the OS to still be "loaded" just because it's on some cache on the hard drive. But, if the power plug is pulled, just because that cache is there, the PC still becomes "cold".

He's got to know his terms if he wants to go around saying things that he wrote disk software (which is unrelated might I add).