PDA

View Full Version : GIMP'd instead of Photoshopped!

zeller
March 12th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Now, I realize this may take some effort on the end users' behalf, but I have a thought about the popularity of using "Photoshop" as a verb.

Just for conversation sake we need to start saying/typing that a photo or image has been GIMP'd instead of Photoshopped. Still with me?

Most of the photos we see are just assumed to be photoshopped anyways. Granted, that assumption trails on the heels of a very large professional user base. However, not everyone has the proof something was "Photoshopped" and could just as easily have been GIMP'd. No?

I'd like to start hearing "It's been GIMP'd" in the mainstream media. Wouldn't you? Little recognition maybe?

Like I stated already, just for conversation sake. Let's keep it light.

chewearn
March 12th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Naah... It sounds like ending up in the tail end of some monkey pranks.
:lolflag:

hakimaki
March 12th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I've been using that term for quite some time in an effort to fight the generalized term of an edited image dubbed as photoshopped. It's like when you have a cut on your finger, you ask for a bandaid. Bandaid is a brand name for an adhesive bandage.

I have found in using the term, it can generate conversations and inquiries into the world of linux and open source software. I have made quite a few converts just from saying, "Yea, I GIMPed this photo".

GIMP on!

igknighted
March 12th, 2008, 04:05 PM
And all us KDE users can use "Krita'd"!

Nevon
March 12th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Or paint shop pro'd, or Pixel'd, or Painted! Or how about just calling it "edited"?

popch
March 12th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Or paint shop pro'd, or Pixel'd, or Painted! Or how about just calling it "edited"?

That proposal is very cleverly Worded.

n3tfury
March 12th, 2008, 04:42 PM
why bother when most people don't know what you're talking about.

zeller
March 12th, 2008, 05:33 PM
why bother when most people don't know what you're talking about.

Maybe so they will know. Eh?

corney91
March 12th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I've been saying 'Gimped' for months ;)

banjobacon
March 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Digitally manipulated.

FuturePilot
March 12th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I like Gimp'd

Linuxratty
March 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I'd say Gimp'd if someone asked,but since they don't,I just leave um guessing.

k2t0f12d
March 12th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Rasteransmogrified

rudihawk
March 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Gimp'd!

ShodanjoDM
March 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Gimp'd!
Kind of like the sounds of it, rhymed with the MTV show 'Pimp my ride'...

rudihawk
March 12th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Its got more of a ring to it, photoshopped has too many syallables. Gimp'd! is short and sweet. Profound.

BigSilly
March 12th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I like 'GIMP'd' too.

Yeah I'll use it instead of 'Photoshopped', and see what looks I get!

regomodo
March 12th, 2008, 09:08 PM
"bring out the Gimp"

raul_
March 12th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Gimp is a usually derogatory term used to refer to a (male or female) sexual submissive person, typically dressed in a black leather or rubber costume (often known as a "gimp suit"), and wearing a bondage hood or mask of the same material. This apparel emphasises sexuality by drawing attention to the crotch and chest, and also sexually objectifies the wearer. Sadomasochistic practice often features in the notion of the gimp, with a partnership of power exchange between gimp and dominatrix or dominant.

No thanks

init1
March 12th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I usually just shorten it to "shop'd". And if I did use GIMP'd no one would know what I was talking about ;)
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/photoshops.png

spupy
March 13th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Yeah! GIMPed > Photoshopped.
Gimp My Ride.

- Hey, what are you doing?
- I'm gimpin'.

Daveski
March 13th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Its got more of a ring to it, photoshopped has too many syallables. Gimp'd! is short and sweet.

Sadly 'Photoshop' is a fantastic name for this type of digital imaging editor, and it has a huge following of users, so rather like 'Hoover', I suspect that 'Photoshopped' will live on as a verb long after Photoshop is no longer the market leader. However I cringe when I hear this, so I too will use the general and more correct term that an image has been 'digitally modified' - unless I am feeling particularly zealous when I will use the term 'GIMP'd'.

qazwsx
March 13th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I have used GIMP'd before :). My sister also uses that phrase.
Learned to use it when I was unsastisfied Windows user. I wish I could someday say Krita'd (learning curves :():lolflag:

zeller
March 13th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Glad to see so many already using the term.

Jim!
March 13th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Wow! You people that thought of this are geniuses I'll make sure I start using it right away!!

n3tfury
March 13th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Maybe so they will know. Eh?

considering most don't use it, it won't matter. Eh?

zeller
March 13th, 2008, 02:07 PM
considering most don't use it, it won't matter. Eh?

Maybe to intrigue them enough to use it then?

We're going around in circles here, You and I.

n3tfury
March 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Maybe to intrigue them enough to use it then?

We're going around in circles here, You and I.

probably ;) my stand is, that the gen public knows little to nothing about linux, so the few that even know what "photoshopped", "shopped", etc, are a lost cause to try and change their mindset.

if you're STRICTLY talking about the *nix community, then yes, Gimp'd would be more appropriate, although if you say "hey, i 'shopped' this in gimp", then lol on ya.

zeller
March 13th, 2008, 02:47 PM
probably ;) my stand is, that the gen public knows little to nothing about linux, so the few that even know what "photoshopped", "shopped", etc, are a lost cause to try and change their mindset.

Granted, but I'm not trying to sway minds that are dead set for using the term "Photoshopped". I just thought it would be nice to start hearing the same kind of statements about GIMP that people automatically use in reference to PS. Wouldn't it be nice if it got more attention? Again, more would know about it, which would solve the problem of a lack of knowledge.

if you're STRICTLY talking about the *nix community, then yes, Gimp'd would be more appropriate, although if you say "hey, i 'shopped' this in gimp", then lol on ya.

Nah, I would never say I Photoshopped something with the GIMP. That would defeat the purpose of my intentions entirely. If I need to digitally manipulate an image file then I'll heartily GIMP it and use the term GIMP'd when said image is in question.

Daveski
March 13th, 2008, 11:43 PM

You are aware that the GIMP is available in Windows as well as Linux?

Erik Trybom
March 14th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Photoshopping is a hideous name for editing or manipulating. (Add "digitally" if you want to further make your point.) GIMPing is even worse as it sounds stupid and contains versals. Isn't it called the GIMP by the way? "This image looks the-gimped!"

For the love of the GOD, please stop it!

raul_
March 14th, 2008, 12:02 AM
i'm still thinking about the sadomasochism thing...

n3tfury
March 14th, 2008, 12:56 AM
You are aware that the GIMP is available in Windows as well as Linux?

yes and it's as popular as linux to windows in regards to the gen public.

Boelcke
March 14th, 2008, 01:04 AM
No, I'd have to disagree with that statement. In my experience, the GIMP has taken off more than Linux. I've turned 5 people I know into serious GIMP users. I haven't turned as many into switching their operating system.

The term I've been using is photohack. As in, I photohacked your face onto Hilary Clinton's body. Using the GIMP...

Daveski
March 14th, 2008, 01:17 AM
No, I'd have to disagree with that statement. In my experience, the GIMP has taken off more than Linux. I've turned 5 people I know into serious GIMP users. I haven't turned as many into switching their operating system.

Yes, I think that the GIMP is gaining popularity in the Windows world like Firefox did (although I doubt it will get quite as popular). MS Windows *still* comes with just paint - which is utter *. True, recent versions of Windows have much better image viewing than before, but just to do simple consumer tasks like cropping, rotating, brightness/contrast and red-eye reducing is non-existent 'out of the box' in Windows.

3rdalbum
March 14th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I've been saying "GIMP'ed" for years!

Funnily enough, when I tell someone that I'm going to convert a particular video for my Walkman, I say that I'm "about to Blacklight it". Blacklight is the name of the conversion program :-)

acirilo
March 14th, 2008, 02:04 AM
lets start a GIMP revival!!!! or vival!

oomingmak
March 14th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I will most definitely not be using this term any time soon.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gimp

souneedalink
March 14th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I've been saying gimp'd since before there was a gimp.... :D

schauerlich
March 14th, 2008, 06:18 AM
This look shoop'd - I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shoops in my day..

Mustard
March 14th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I agree with others. The GIMP'ed revolution must begin!

zeller
March 14th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I will most definitely not be using this term any time soon.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gimp

Someone else beat you to the punch.

Seriously though, when (or if) you use the GIMP, do you automatically think about derogatory statements? If a photo has been GIMP'd are you seriously going to start imagining a picture of someone in a gimp costume? People need to stop referencing that urban dictionary.

I don't see why people are so offended by the name. It's just an acronym. Consistently I see the Damn Small Linux (DSL) distro mentioned on this sight and no one throws up a fuss. C'mon!

::BTW - I love DSL, just for clarification::

christianxxx
March 14th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Once in a while, when using The GIMP, I recall the scene from Pulp Fiction depicting a gimp, but that's just because the words are the same.

I've used photoshopped as a term for imaged editing for a while now, but lately I've started to dislike it. It has nothing to do with Windows/*nix discussion, but rather a dislike for the word it self as it really doesn't say anything.

In general, it's much better to use the correct term to describe your actions, rather than adopt the name of the tools (which might change sometime in our future... ).

SupaSonic
March 14th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Photoshop does not refer to the program anymore. It refers to an image which has been tinkered with.

Just because Fernando Alonso is a 2-time world champion in F1 doesn't mean that people will stop referring to fast/reckless drivers as Schumachers.

n3tfury
March 14th, 2008, 03:25 PM
but will they refer to crybaby/cheaters as Alonsos?

marimo
March 14th, 2008, 03:42 PM
It is still way too difficult to convert Photoshop users to Gimp. Photoshop is still way to superior than Gimp. I support OSS very much but Gimp has disappointed me. There has been little effort until recently to make it more appealing. For starters, the interface is awful and no so easy to use. So, be careful when you say, "I will GIMP this image". A user not familar with GIMP may thing, after looking at the software, you meant doing something bad. I for one, advocate OSS but I remain silent on Gimp. I have been impressed by krita however. Its also cute. A feature many users like and a future often overlooked by OSS. So for now, I would rather no GIMP my images.

raul_
March 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM
but will they refer to crybaby/cheaters as Alonsos?

That would be adequate

raul_
March 14th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Photoshop does not refer to the program anymore. It refers to an image which has been tinkered with.

Just because Fernando Alonso is a 2-time world champion in F1 doesn't mean that people will stop referring to fast/reckless drivers as Schumachers.

I though they were called Fangios?

souneedalink
March 14th, 2008, 04:26 PM
It is still way too difficult to convert windows users to linux. gimp is still way to superior than photoshop. I support free software very much and the Gimp has really impressed me. There has been lots of effort in improving the gimp and everyone is free to help. For starters, the interface is awesome and oh so easy to use.

oomingmak
March 14th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Seriously though, when (or if) you use the GIMP, do you automatically think about derogatory statements?

I don't use the GIMP (because I can't stand it) so the question has no relevance to me, but if I ever were to use it then, no, I wouldn't be thinking about derogatory statements because I'd just be using a piece of software. But that's not what this thread is about. It's about going around introducing the word "Gimped" into regular conversation, which is not the same thing as thoughts that you might be having while using the application.

People need to stop referencing that urban dictionary.

"People" can reference whatever the hell they like. For the vast majority of people that have heard of word GIMP, it is nothing to do with software. It already has a well established meaning that goes back to before the GIMP software was even created. Expecting everyone to suddenly revise their existing understanding of the word just because someone has created some relatively obscure piece of software, is idealism at best.

I don't see why people are so offended by the name.

It's not about being offended, it's not wanting to look like a **** to people who don't know the context in which you are using the word. For Linux users or FOSS aware people then it's obviously not an issue because it would presumably be understood in the context in which it was actually meant.

It's just an acronym.

Yes, and one which makes up a word that has an already established unpleasant meaning. I prefer to be understood when I'm talking, so adopting this totally contrived phrase is of no interest to me.

Perhaps I should make an Instant Messenger program called 'Chat Using Network Technology' and let everyone figure out what I mean when I say it to them using the initialism.

People are free to call their edited / processed photo's whatever they like (I really couldn't care less) but I don't know why you felt the need to pick up on my post just because I stated that I personally refuse to do so.

corney91
March 14th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I know gimp can be a derogatory term - it is pretty well established as such.
I say GIMPed for the funny looks I get - it helps weed out the 1337 :D

souneedalink
March 14th, 2008, 10:31 PM
uh oh I am offended....now if my gimpy eyes could just find the report button

someone said gimp and that is worse than saying people (in the general sense) should turn their brains on....oopps I did it again...

sentientd
March 14th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Someone else beat you to the punch.

Seriously though, when (or if) you use the GIMP, do you automatically think about derogatory statements? If a photo has been GIMP'd are you seriously going to start imagining a picture of someone in a gimp costume? People need to stop referencing that urban dictionary.

I don't see why people are so offended by the name. It's just an acronym. Consistently I see the Damn Small Linux (DSL) distro mentioned on this sight and no one throws up a fuss. C'mon!

::BTW - I love DSL, just for clarification::

I agree. The first time I ever heard the term "gimp," it was used in regards to a man with cerebral palsy. He painted using an apparatus attached to his forehead.

hmmm....

The Documentary was called "King Gimp" and it won several awards.

His paintings were quite good too.

Kin Gimp has a .com site and his actual name is Dan Keplinger.

raul_
March 15th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Perhaps I should make an Instant Messenger program called 'Chat Using Network Technology' and let everyone figure out what I mean when I say it to them using the initialism.

I would use that! :D

Now seriously, I don't think programmers are stupid (I am one, sort of) so I guess they did it on purpose. C'mon, everybody saw Pulp Fiction. FOSS developers love "hacky" names, so I would be surprised if they named the software GIMP to provoke some small minded people :)

Of course, the punch line had to be said

souneedalink
March 15th, 2008, 04:03 AM
or maybe a newsreader called PAN ?

zeller
March 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I don't use the GIMP (because I can't stand it) so the question has no relevance to me, but if I ever were to use it then, no, I wouldn't be thinking about derogatory statements because I'd just be using a piece of software. But that's not what this thread is about. It's about going around introducing the word "Gimped" into regular conversation, which is not the same thing as thoughts that you might be having while using the application.

You're right, that's not what this thread is about, but threads usually evolve way beyond the intended topic. No big deal.

"People" can reference whatever the hell they like. For the vast majority of people that have heard of word GIMP, it is nothing to do with software. It already has a well established meaning that goes back to before the GIMP software was even created. Expecting everyone to suddenly revise their existing understanding of the word just because someone has created some relatively obscure piece of software, is idealism at best.

True, they can reference what they like. I meant it as a personal statement as in, "That doesn't look right to me", or, "C'mon man, don't get your panties in a twist". It was an offhand remark at best. We all know text doesn't always convey emotion well. I don't expect everyone to revise their thinking either, but wouldn't it be nice if it were more mainstream? That's rhetorical.

It's not about being offended, it's not wanting to look like a **** to people who don't know the context in which you are using the word. For Linux users or FOSS aware people then it's obviously not an issue because it would presumably be understood in the context in which it was actually meant.

True, Linux users would most likely know what the context is, but for those that don't it may intrigue them just enough to ask what the hell I'm talking about or why I said that. For me, that's a start. I still don't know what FOSS stands for. I'll find out.

Yes, and one which makes up a word that has an already established unpleasant meaning. I prefer to be understood when I'm talking, so adopting this totally contrived phrase is of no interest to me.

By whom? Who are you hanging out with that you would be ashamed of using a program's given name? It's none of my business so you needn't retort to that. I just don't think it's that big of a deal.

At this point in your reply, you're just being a bit spiteful. I had the intention of finding out what people thought of the idea and if there was anyone else out there that would like to see the term GIMP'd be used by more people more often like myself. Subsequently, it may improve the general public's knowledge of the existence of open source software and Linux. Maybe not. What's it gonna hurt to use it?

People are free to call their edited / processed photo's whatever they like (I really couldn't care less) but I don't know why you felt the need to pick up on my post just because I stated that I personally refuse to do so.

Well, I can only apologize if it came off as if I was targeting you. I just didn't agree with the statement you made and I replied. No animosity here. It's a forum. Everyone has opinions. No harm, no foul.

(All my questions are rhetorical so don't feel like you need to escalate the thread to a flame war. It's cool.)

SomeGuyDude
March 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM
People say "photoshop" because the word seems to make sense for what has happened. It's a photo/image, and it has been taken through a "shop" meaning messed with. I even know a number of people who say "photo chopped", and most probably have no idea that "photoshop" is a specific program.

GIMP, as a word, means absolutely nothing.

Wobedraggled
March 20th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I hate buzzwords...

I just say "hey, I edited the photo"