PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Hardware Compatibility

samb0057
March 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Check out the Ubuntu hardware compatibility site at www.ubuntuhcl.org, recently redesigned. You can also subscribe to our rss feed of Ubuntu hardware reviews at www.ubuntuhcl.org/reviews/rss

darth_indy
March 12th, 2008, 05:50 PM
When I try the site in IE (I'm at work and cannot try in FF) it won't open any pages... it just asks me to save the pages as though they were files. I can see the pages if I save them, add the extension "htm" and then open in IE.

Something wrong with IE, or the server, or both?

zmjjmz
March 12th, 2008, 07:39 PM
It works fine in Opera, so the problem is probably IE.

I found a DX-WGNBC that works perfectly in both DSL and Ubuntu, and yet I can't buy it anywhere ;_;

LaRoza
March 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM
When I try the site in IE (I'm at work and cannot try in FF) it won't open any pages... it just asks me to save the pages as though they were files. I can see the pages if I save them, add the extension "htm" and then open in IE.

Something wrong with IE, or the server, or both?

http://www.kejut.com/operaportable

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

madjr
March 12th, 2008, 09:27 PM
nice initiative, but the site looks kinda dull and lacks interest (specially to your biggest audience: new users trying to migrate to linux and find supported hardware)

also, the ads everywhere don't help (they look too much like in-site links..), they have to look different.

if you want to build a loyal community you need to make a good effort to keep the interest on the site.

also, is a good idea to better organize everything into more categories for future growth and new users find stuff easier, specially peripherals.

create a "5.0 score / work out of the box" section.

pictures and maybe some videos would help a lot too (like 500% more) :)

use some kind of ubuntu/tux logo on your site (one free to use or created by yourself of course)

titles (specially for rss feeds could be more descriptive)

i.e rss feeds:
4.0 - Works well (Asus A6B00U) <--- what is this ?
5.0 - Works out of the box with 7.10 (LUCKY STAR K7MKLE) <---- and this is ?

you could use brackets like: [agp video card][webcam][laptop], etc..

i think the site is awesome but you really need to fix the stuff above :)

good luck to your proyect :guitar:

darth_indy
March 13th, 2008, 06:52 PM
http://www.kejut.com/operaportable

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

It works fine in Firefox now that I'm back on my Ubuntu system. As for trying Opera and/or Firefox portable, I already did :) I installed it but it wouldn't access the net.

I am both annoyed at and impressed by the IT department at work in that it's very secure, but that also means I couldn't get Firefox Portable to work - it's a whitelisting firewall, not a blacklisting one - so only IE is allowed online. It's a large, multinational corporation so it's not like a small office environment.

Thanks anyways.

LaRoza
March 13th, 2008, 06:58 PM
It works fine in Firefox now that I'm back on my Ubuntu system. As for trying Opera and/or Firefox portable, I already did :) I installed it but it wouldn't access the net.

I am both annoyed at and impressed by the IT department at work in that it's very secure, but that also means I couldn't get Firefox Portable to work - it's a whitelisting firewall, not a blacklisting one - so only IE is allowed online. It's a large, multinational corporation so it's not like a small office environment.

Thanks anyways.

I am sure you could use the user agent switcher for that. Opera has that as part of the browser, not an extension.

Tools->Quick Preferences->Edit Site Preferences->Network

darth_indy
March 13th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Hmmm... that just might work. I know I've gotten other programs at work to do it that way, I just hadn't thought about it for FF or Opera (I tried it at first when I started working there six months ago). *smacks forehead* Thanks, shoulda thought of that sooner. I'll be able to try again tomorrow afternoon.