PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] GOSHDARN MS WORD 2007 please read :D

-gabe-noob-
March 12th, 2008, 01:19 AM
I sent a word document from school and being the add child I am I left it in the word 2007 format

does anyone know how I can open this up or if theres any program out their I can open it with ?

hhhhhx
March 12th, 2008, 01:20 AM
quick google search reviles:
http://librarycomputerguy.wordpress.com/2007/10/20/open-ms-word-2007-docx-documents-in-ubuntu/

LaRoza
March 12th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Next time, use Abiword or OpenOffice.

(At school: http://portableapps.com/apps)

solitaire
March 12th, 2008, 01:21 AM
only thing i can think of is the MS Word Viewer runing in Wine if Open Office won't open it.

-gabe-noob-
March 12th, 2008, 01:23 AM
google= bff? hehe thanks man life saver.

-gabe-noob-
March 12th, 2008, 01:25 AM
ok I'm trying to copy folders to the usr/lib/openoffice/program/ but it won't let me causeI don't have permission so what should I open with gksudo to fix this? should I gksudo filebrowser or somthing like that?

CSMatt
March 12th, 2008, 01:35 AM
OpenOffice.org 2.3 has reverse-engineered DOCX so you should be able to open it in that. You can't save in DOCX however.

hhhhhx
March 12th, 2008, 01:35 AM
ok I'm trying to copy folders to the usr/lib/openoffice/program/ but it won't let me causeI don't have permission so what should I open with gksudo to fix this? should I gksudo filebrowser or somthing like that?
yep, that should do it

banjobacon
March 12th, 2008, 01:39 AM

Why would gksudo work if sudo does not?

An alternative solution might be to use Google Docs to convert the file to a format you can use.

-gabe-noob-
March 12th, 2008, 01:40 AM
the gksudo is not working
as in the gksudo won't open file browser and when I try to change the permissions it tells me I'm not the owner of the folder lol... my linux is speaking windows :S
I got the document from my e-mail as an attatchment and it came as an archive so I extracted it to my desktop but I'm lost as to what to click... :O

edit: should I repost in absulute beginner?

frrobert
March 12th, 2008, 01:56 AM
You can have two options either apply the docx filter from Novell or just use an online conversion tool.

I have used
http://docx-converter.com/

You upload the file and they convert it for you. I have used it a couple of times and it seems to work well.

p_quarles
March 12th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Thread title slightly sanitized :D

-gabe-noob-
March 12th, 2008, 02:06 AM
yay for goshdarn heh thanks didn't know what to say besides the origionaly word that came to mind which also started with an F

-gabe-noob-
March 12th, 2008, 02:09 AM
that dock converter thing seems to come in handy, so I thinks I solved it.

macogw
March 12th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Er....why did you have to do anything? The version of OOo in Gutsy opens docx and pptx just fine. It might not work from downloading and hitting "open with" but once it's saved, just tell it to open with OOo, and it works fine

CSMatt
March 12th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Turns out that's just the Ubuntu version though. The vanilla OpenOffice.org Windows build won't do it.