PDA

View Full Version : KDE 4.0 Release Event Keynote Video

raul_
March 11th, 2008, 11:47 PM
This video is a bit old, it's the first time I've seen it, and I thought it would be worth sharing it.

Basically it's a conference by Aaron Seigo (Aaron Seigo - President of KDE e.V. and Trolltech developer), about the new KDE version (4.0) and the technologies that it brings to the table.

Of course this is interesting for users, to know what they are going to be able to use, but I'm finding this SO interesting, being an IT Engineering student, hearing some of the styles of programming they use, how they use frameworks and try to keep each framework as dumb as they can.

Anyway, it's a somewhat long video (77min) but I think it's worth it, if you're into that kind of stuff, like I am.

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=UneGtZlehTU

PS: of course I searched in the forums, but If you don't know what keywords to use, it's a bit hard to know if it already has been posted. Sorry

gsiliceo
March 12th, 2008, 12:39 AM
i saw it when it came to google video but couldnt download it for some reason, now that is on youtube i can, thx! i have forgotten the frustrated i got when i couldnt listen to it driving home.

gsiliceo
March 12th, 2008, 12:46 AM
by the way, you should try pytube to download and convert to multiple formats youtube videos. is so good when i just want to listen a conference on the road.
http://bashterritory.com/pytube/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=29

raul_
March 12th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the tip.

I have already tried Kde4.0 but now i'm really excited with the future

bobbybobington
March 12th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Wow, I hadn't seen this video, very awesome. It goes over very well what kde4 is all about. I'll probably try it out come July. Plus it's a pretty good presentation as well.

PurposeOfReason
March 12th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I remember when I watched that, it's what made me excited about KDE. IMO it really is the best DE but I don't like how "complicated", for lack of a better word, it looks. I like clean and simple and it feels too busy.

raul_
March 12th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I think the main "novelty" here, and maybe a lot of people don't give enough credit when they talk about KDE4, is what they talked about in the end of the presentation:

KDE applications running NATIVELY, with no hacks, no tweaks, just working out of the box on Windows and Mac. This opens thousands of doors, that didn't even exist before. Now guys running on Windows, without any knowledge of Linux and Mac, can (even not knowing about it) write applications that Linux and Mac users can use, and all this done transparently. I think it's a beatiful thing, and IMHO, this will change a lot of things in the computing (using and programming) world