PDA

View Full Version : Bash to Python question

bvmou
March 11th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Does anyone know how I might express the following shell command in Python?

find ~/podcasts/current -mindepth 2 -mtime '+`a`+' -exec mv {} ~/podcasts/old \;

...where 'a' is a user-input number of days worth of podcasts to keep on a mass storage device.

I am using os.system('the bash command') but would like to make it more portable.

Can+~
March 11th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Let me understand. Your bash script finds everything in the new podcasts folder (why don't use an ls then?), and moves the ones that are older than <user_input> to the old podcast folder?

Well, I'm not 100% skilled in python, but let's break the problem (and googling):

Getting the files in the podcast folders : os.lisdir(path) check
Getting the creation time : Actually, I had to google this one, all references I find say that "int_time = os.stat(path)[stat.ST_CTIME]" for that. check
Moving the files : shutil library (link here) (http://docs.python.org/lib/module-shutil.html) check

References:
http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread732946.html

bvmou
March 12th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks Can,

I am using shutil and os.listdir, etc, for the python equivalent of

cp -ru /source /destination

The idea is to add some time and access info to manage space on the storage device. I could use os.system('ls') [or os.system('any bash command') but I would like to be able to share the results with my old man, who has the same phone and Windows.

os.stat is definitely what I was missing for the atime mtime ctime bits, thanks again.

If anyone has a knockout python 1-4 liner for that first shell command, would love to know it.

ghostdog74
March 12th, 2008, 02:46 AM
you can use os.walk(). for mindepth , you have to some how get a count of the depth level from the output of os.walk. For mtime, you can either use os.stat or getmtime() method. if you find it a hassle to recode everything in Python, you can use things like cygwin ( or GNU find for Windows (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/findutils.htm)if porting to Windows)then only minimal changes need to be done on your one line find command.

slavik
March 12th, 2008, 03:15 AM
cmd = "find ~/podcasts/current -mindepth 2 -mtime '+" + ARGV[1] + "+' -exec mv {} ~/podcasts/old"
os.system(cmd)

I dunno what has to go instead of ARGV[1]

but I do have a question of why you want this in Python, is there something else you want to do or just allow the user to put in an argument?

ghostdog74
March 12th, 2008, 03:47 AM
[code]
I dunno what has to go instead of ARGV[1]

import sys
arg=sys.argv[1]

and of couse, you and i know that unless there's really no other way, using code like that is not portable.

bvmou
March 12th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Actually what I am currently using is exactly as you describe, except I stringify the input number, ie `a`, and pass that to the mtime flag of find. It is not ideal, what I am doing is just having the program ask "how many days worth of podcasts do you want to keep on the device."

@ghostdog: The portability question is indeed the issue, it has been working fine as a bash shell and then pythonified, this is more an effort to get all my stuff free of things like hardcoded filepaths and interoperable. It is amazing though, something like:

cp ~/Desktop/*.mp3 /media/device

comes out (for me) as:

osma = os.walk('/home/user/Desktop', True, None)
osmalist = []
for item in osma:
osmalist.append(item)
for item in osmalist[0][2]:
if item[-3:] == 'mp3':
shutil.copy('/home/user/Desktop/'+item, '/media/device'')

So

os.system('find ~/podcasts/current -mindepth 2 -mtime '+`a`+' -exec mv {} ~/podcasts/old \;')

is likely to be a bit trickier!

One other ques: how to call shutil.copy(a,b) so that a does not overwrite b when they have the same name?

ghostdog74
March 13th, 2008, 02:14 AM
One other ques: how to call shutil.copy(a,b) so that a does not overwrite b when they have the same name?
check for presence of the file first.. if it is , do whatever, like rename it to another name or something.

bvmou
March 13th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks Ghostdog,

That was probably a malformed question; I am trying to do something like shutil.copytree() where I only update new files, something closer to 'cp -ru /folder /destination'. I will definitely post whatever solution I come up with and any help is appreciated.

I also may not want to go overboard with the interoperability stuff; I was thinking that for my own linux solution I could have a constant dynamically updated folder of symbolic links that would be generated on the basis of newness and size parameters.

Any further thoughts appreciated, as is the help to this point.

dwblas
March 13th, 2008, 08:50 PM
A standard example of os.path.walk() with an isfile added would work. You can run this as is to see how it processes the directories recursively. Note os.path.walk() works with a callback. In this example processDirectory() will be called for each directory encountered
def processDirectory ( args, dirname, filenames ):
new_dir ="/backup" + dirname
print 'Directory',dirname
for filename in filenames:
print ' File',filename
##if not os.path.isfile( os.path.join(new_dir, filename) ):
##copy file or whatever
top_level_dir = "/usr/local"
os.path.walk(top_level_dir, processDirectory, None )