PDA

View Full Version : need help with a presentation

crazyone
March 11th, 2008, 10:44 PM
hi all i am doing a presentation for my school on linux and how to use it. so far i have decided to show server stuff like apache, mysql,etc basically anything a windows server can do. i am also going to show the alternative apps to use for linux instead of the ones u use in windows. i was also going to show the basic commands to use like apt-get. i have have gotten a few different desktops installed to show the difference in the different desktops too. if you could help me on what programs to show and commands that would be very helpful to people that are new to linux that would be great and anything else you can think of that would be worth showing. thanks in advance.

Barrucadu
March 11th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I would configure all the fancy desktop effects in compiz-fusion in GNOME, then show how good Ubuntu can look on any computer. In case you're wondering, I'm running compiz-fusion will all the bells and whistles on less than 512MB RAM, and it runs just as fast as Xubuntu did.

crazyone
March 11th, 2008, 11:24 PM
ok ill set that up is it in 7.04 or only 7.10 and after cant remember because i use the server version mainly. thanks for the reply

Barrucadu
March 11th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I'm not sure if it is on 7.04, but it is not on 7.10 by default. You have to install one or two packages via Synaptic. Just search for compiz. I would find the names, but I've somehow broken my Xauthorization file and can't do anything requiring root. I'll check for you later.

crazyone
March 11th, 2008, 11:34 PM
ok i might not be able to do it if it isnt in 7.04 ill check it out latter after i am done setting up the mail server part of the demo

Barrucadu
March 11th, 2008, 11:35 PM
The packages are compizconfig-settings-manager and libgnome-compiz-manager0. I have no idea if it's in 7.04, but it's worth a try if it is.

Daveski
March 12th, 2008, 12:39 AM
if you could help me on what programs to show and commands that would be very helpful to people that are new to linux that would be great and anything else you can think of that would be worth showing.

You have to show the big 3 desktop apps - GIMP, Firefox and OpenOffice. Also have you considered touching on the fact that Linux drives many devices like Routers (Linksys WRT54L); NAS devices; Nokia Internet Tablets; OLPC etc. See http://www.linuxdevices.com/ for more info.

crazyone
March 12th, 2008, 12:45 AM
You have to show the big 3 desktop apps - GIMP, Firefox and OpenOffice. Also have you considered touching on the fact that Linux drives many devices like Routers (Linksys WRT54L); NAS devices; Nokia Internet Tablets; OLPC etc. See http://www.linuxdevices.com/ for more info.

never thought of telling that about what devices run on it. thanks for the idea