PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo!!!

LeoSolaris
March 11th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I have my first convert! My fiance came to me out of the blue and asked me to put Linux on her desktop over the summer. (She is an English teacher so summer means 'large chunk of complete free time')

I've had Ubuntu on my laptop for a few months, and she has taken to booting up my laptop (From off by the way) rather than turning her computer on from STANDBY because it is faster to check her email with in the mornings before heading off to work. (Oddly enough, her desktop is still faster at downloading torrents. It's actually really good at that.)

I've been trying for a very long time to figure out exactly what is wrong with her desktop, and privately I just came to the conclusion that is has Windows on it, but I didn't say anything. That was prior to starting on Linux.

Her desktop was actually the reason I chose to put Ubuntu on my older laptop in the first place. That old laptop was easily 4 years older than her custom built desktop, but still ran faster (even though it couldn't install XP due to lack of memory)

I eventually had to switch to Puppy on that old one and after it finally died I broke down and upgraded. (Ohhh parts to cannibalize!)

At first she was thoroughly convinced that running a LiveCD would break her computer, so she used to get mad at me for using one of Puppy to check emails on it. After a few months of me *not* swearing at the computer for perhaps the first time in my life, I think she started to trust that it actually works. That and she knew how overly ravenously over protective I am of this laptop because the last really good one I had was stolen. (It did take Ubuntu some time and a few really nasty breaks to settle, BTW, but now I almost know what I am doing.)

But yay! I have my first convert! This is why I gave her a ring. I knew there had to be a reason other than the fact that she is cute. lol

Leo S.

{BzF}~JOKesTER
March 13th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Lol - Sweet A First Convert - Now We Need To Do That With All The People Who Use That Sucky OS Called "Windows" -Lol

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

LeoSolaris
March 13th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Agreed! Windows is definitely odd. Ya know, I hopped over to my windows part on this laptop to watch Lost streaming, since their media player will not work on Linux, or at least not with the bleeding edge firefox, and mid-way through watching it and windows just literally forgot that the wi-fi driver was installed! I've used Windows for a loooong time, and it always seems to come up with new ways to annoy me.

bruce89
March 13th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Lol - Sweet A First Convert - Now We Need To Do That With All The People Who Use That Sucky OS Called "Windows" -Lol

Thank Molly that the forum uncapitalises shouting posts. In other words, is your caps lock key broken?

Banished
March 13th, 2008, 05:40 PM
But yay! I have my first convert! This is why I gave her a ring. I knew there had to be a reason other than the fact that she is cute. lol

Aww...Congratulations! So that is how you win the heart of a Linux user :)

I almost got my first convert, so far he has just taken my Gutsy CD, to test it out. Not going to give him a ring if he installs it though.

n3tfury
March 13th, 2008, 05:56 PM

bruce89
March 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM

The forum automatically uncapitalises capitalised posts.

p_quarles
March 13th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Actually, it doesn't. There was some confusion about that in a previous thread, but it's actually caused by the default localization settings of most browsers. Of course, I'm not saying that the forum software shouldn't do that. ;)

{BzF}~JOKesTER
March 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Thank Molly that the forum uncapitalises shouting posts. In other words, is your caps lock key broken?

My Capslock Key Is Not Broken - I'm Just A Gamer Who's Tradmark Is Using Caps At The Beginning Of Every Word.:)

Been Doing It So Long I Don't Even Notice That I Do It!!!:lolflag:

Teber
March 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM

Leo S.

or could it be that you love her for being both cute and smart? :)

sailor2001
March 13th, 2008, 07:46 PM

give them a ring?

n3tfury
March 13th, 2008, 09:25 PM

okay, but that has nothing to do with my post.

LeoSolaris
March 14th, 2008, 02:43 AM
or could it be that you love her for being both cute and smart? :)

Wisely put actually. She is definitely cute and smart :biggrin:

Somehow, I got lucky.

Leo S.