PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] delete your own thread / change thread title

Rytron
March 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM
is it possible to delete your own thread?
also is it possible to change the title of a thread that you have already created?

notwen
March 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM
No & no. You may want to consult a mod/admin should you need to remove/modify a thread title. They generally have a quick response time when a user wishes to merge/change/remove something about their thread in following posts on said thread. =]

bodhi.zazen
March 11th, 2008, 04:12 PM
We generally do not delete threads on the off chance it may help someone in the future.

If I have the energy, I will re-title a thread, I reserve this for assisting the OP and try to educate users to use a descriptive title when posting.

With that said, use the report button and make your case ;)

hhhhhx
March 11th, 2008, 05:43 PM
i think it would be realy usefull to be able to change the tile and the polls of threads that you made. :)

LaRoza
March 11th, 2008, 05:46 PM
i think it would be realy usefull to be able to change the tile and the polls of threads that you made. :)

Changing titles should be rare. A title is supposed to descripe the purpose and contents of the thread. If the title changes, it was either a bad title (which should be avoided) or the thread changed (hijacked).

For polls, being able to edit polls (possible for mods and admins) also means the ability to change the numbers. There is only an "edit" feature, so it probably would be like that if globally applied to members.

Do you want polls to be editable by the OP? That would not be good. One could easily change the results, even without changing the numbers, just change the option and all the votes would look like they were for that.

hhhhhx
March 11th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Changing titles should be rare. A title is supposed to descripe the purpose and contents of the thread. If the title changes, it was either a bad title (which should be avoided) or the thread changed (hijacked).

For polls, being able to edit polls (possible for mods and admins) also means the ability to change the numbers. There is only an "edit" feature, so it probably would be like that if globally applied to members.

Do you want polls to be editable by the OP? That would not be good. One could easily change the results, even without changing the numbers, just change the option and all the votes would look like they were for that.
wait, the mods and admins are able to change the numbers?

also, i see your point, in were you could just change the names, and etc.. by the op is bad. maybe like a limited, and timed edit would be good. i don't really know, i just don't think it's right to haft to ask to edit something like that.

LaRoza
March 12th, 2008, 12:20 AM
wait, the mods and admins are able to change the numbers?

also, i see your point, in were you could just change the names, and etc.. by the op is bad. maybe like a limited, and timed edit would be good. i don't really know, i just don't think it's right to haft to ask to edit something like that.

Yes, but I only know of one occasion it was done (ironically, it was a poll in a thread I started, but it wasn't I who changed it)

The way I do it (before being a mod) was I planned the poll before hand. A poll should be carefully constructed anyway, so taking the time is always a good idea.

If you have a typo or want to fix something, you can report it and we will fix it for you.

kevdog
March 12th, 2008, 05:39 AM
LaRoza and the case of the hanging chad!! Yes I'm definitely demanding a recount on that thread of yours! It was definitely a vast right wing conspiracy that construed the results!

wieman01
March 12th, 2008, 03:33 PM
We can change the numbers in fact? Why hasn't anybody bothered telling me? Hang on a minute...

Forrest Gumpp
March 12th, 2008, 08:35 PM
One could easily change the results, even without changing the numbers, just change the option and all the votes would look like they were for that.

The existence of such a capability with respect to any form of electronic voting raises fascinating possibilities, doesn't it?

There is a very simple form of voting machine that is, I understand, used in Indian elections. It is seemingly very simply fraudable in exactly this way. I call it the 'Indian Piano'.

Has anybody wondered whether there might not already be a wider field of application already being exploited.electronically in the ultimate arena?

Just to help you grasp the potentialities: Enjoy the Diebold Variations: http://homepage.mac.com/rcareaga/diebold/adworks.htm