PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Does build-essential package include Fortran 90 compiler?

Ryozanpaku Tiger
March 11th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Dear all,

I would like to port my old codes, thus, I need a compiler for Fortran 90. I have build-essential package installed, but I don't see any Fortran compiler there. Which compiler do I need to install?

Thank you!

Jimmey
March 11th, 2008, 11:02 AM
The only thing I can suggest at the moment is to open up synaptic and search for "FORTRAN".

I think one is included with build-essential, but cannot be sure (I'm not at my computer at the moment).

Ryozanpaku Tiger
March 11th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Thank you, I've checked that already, and I don't see any reference to a Fortran compiler in the build-essential list.

LaRoza
March 11th, 2008, 11:45 AM
No, you will need gfortran or g77.

Ryozanpaku Tiger
March 11th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Thank you! I would like to have gfortran. Could you please tell which packages do I need to install in Synaptic Package Manager? I see gfortran and gfortran-4.2 are available. Is libgfortran2 also necessary?

mssever
March 11th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Generally, when there's a package with a version in its name and one without, the versionless package always points to the latest version. Also, you don't need to explicitly install libs unless you need the lib for your programming work (in which case you ned the -dev version). So, gfortran is probably the package you want.

LaRoza
March 11th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Thank you! I would like to have gfortran. Could you please tell which packages do I need to install in Synaptic Package Manager? I see gfortran and gfortran-4.2 are available. Is libgfortran2 also necessary?

sudo aptitude install gfortran

That will give you everything you need. It is used like gcc, and has a man page for more information.

Ryozanpaku Tiger
March 12th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Thank you, very much, LaRoza!