PDA

View Full Version : Why do you keep windows around?

patrickaupperle
March 11th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Is it because:
You need windows for important hardware/software.
you need it for games.
you have others around who need it.
Other.
You don't.

jose158
Games

zmjjmz
Are you making a poll?
EDIT: I don't keep OSX around, and I never did. Too much of a hassle with Bootcamp...

Istonian
March 11th, 2008, 03:28 AM
U should make a poll. I would choose I dont.

Salpiche
March 11th, 2008, 03:29 AM
so I can break something once in a while!

patrickaupperle
March 11th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I was making a poll.

SonicSteve
March 11th, 2008, 03:32 AM
I'm an IT manager and sometimes I need to have access to various Microsoft products.
Also some of the websites that I've been with for years use Shockwave player for things. While it annoys me, there is little I can do about it. At times I need windows. 99% of the time I forget it's even available though. Recently I've seen a few sites that have made new video players and they support linux nearly perfectly. I wish all site designers would wake up and realize that they are alienating a substantial user base if they don't support linux.

sstusick
March 11th, 2008, 03:32 AM
I have no need for Windows, except for the occasional video editing...I have yet to find a decent video editor for Linux. Other than that, I am 99% Linux.

themusicwave
March 11th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I use Windows only to test software. I like to make things cross platform, so I need to be able to test on Windows.

I haven't booted into Windows in a few weeks.

Istonian
March 11th, 2008, 03:35 AM
kdenlive is decent for me. I do not use Windows at all. Linux meets all my needs in a computer. I play games like Urban Terror and Nexuiz. Not a huge gamer.

patrickaupperle
March 11th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I keep windows around because dell always wants to trouble shoot. They won't give me new hardware (to replace what broke) without me having windows.

Omnios
March 11th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I got vista with my new laptop as a $50 discount for a $???.?? software package did not make sense. Any way this made me realize how bad vista sucks. My experience so far if you think windows bashing is bad now, wait a couple years.

jcwmoore
March 11th, 2008, 03:40 AM
games...
freeciv is great, but it just isn't civ 2...

FuturePilot
March 11th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Pretty much just in case. I really don't need it for anything. The only thing I can think of is if I want to update my BIOS. The only way to do that is through Windows. :(

futureproof
March 11th, 2008, 04:33 AM
because i want to use it, i have the choice.

JT9161
March 11th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Mostly Dreamweaver and Photoshop I know there is KompoZer and GIMP but those are the ones we use at school and I'm used to those but still use open source when ever possible, luckily a dual boot takes care of that.

thisiam
March 11th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Dual boot works for me, although i haven't booted windows yet since i did that.
now i know how to dual boot, thats why i did it.

aysiu
March 11th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I voted Other, as it's handy to have around to make tutorials like this one (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso).

Nathan_M
March 11th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Also some of the websites that I've been with for years use Shockwave player for things.

IE with Wine supports Shockwave. This means I can still procrastinate with isketch.net on Linux.

Barrucadu
March 11th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I only use Ubuntu at home, my XP disk is burried underneath my bed somewhere, and has been for months. However, I have to use Windows at school in IT (aka: "How To Use MS Office"), because they don't offer anything else, and seem to consider networking with Windows easier than networking with Linux.

Teber
March 11th, 2008, 09:17 AM
it's a weird weird weird world. when i learned webdsign, my teachers condemned windows to a person. they praised the virtues of the mac... and the virtues of linux servers.

and now SonicSteve criticizes webdesigners for looking at ******* with tunnel vision?

angry_johnnie
March 11th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Hmm... I'm not that much of a gamer, but I do play every now and then. I guess that would be my only personal, selfish, reason. But then there's also the inconvenience of sharing the computer. It's mine. But, I can't force others to use something they neither like, nor understand. Anyway, my room mate has been talking about buying his own computer... that would be nice. I could use mine for the things that really interest me, and borrow his whenever I feel like gaming.

futureproof
March 11th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I voted Other, as it's handy to have around to make tutorials like this one (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso).

For bittorrent I would recommend uTorrent, it's by far the best and I think it works in wine.

for md5s

http://www.brandonstaggs.com/filecheckmd5/

As for iso burning I would recommend

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

thats just me though. each to their own.

ReddogOne
March 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Bit of an iTunes fan and also have an AppleTV so like to keep a machine around running this. Tried getting it to run in Wine but it wouldn't work. Gave up (may try again) because I have old machine which I don't mind having Windows on.

Also keep it around for 'harvesting' TV programs. As hard as I try I just can't get my T-500 capture card to work on Linux (or rather any viewer just doesn't seem to be able to see it though it apparently is working). Conflicting instruction/ instructions that don't work... so I gave up on that too as no real biggy!

But for main stream computer usage I'm with ubuntu and find it worth working out/ around the problems/ difficulties. The windows PC can sit in the corner... facing the wall :rolleyes:

Jim!
March 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM
"I don't" Although I admit I miss windows for a whole bunch of things, Ubuntu does a great job and I kind of feel like dual booting Windows on my laptop running Ubuntu would somehow 'ruin' it, wierd right? If I ever get another computer I will just install Windows on the crapper one..

forrestcupp
March 11th, 2008, 02:09 PM
For when I have to have Verizon's incompetent internet support guys come out.

tedius
March 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Until last moth (feb 2008 ) I kept windows due to other people in the house. But I have now got them all using Ubuntu, so Windows got nucked! 8)

The things they like the most about GNU/Linux are the wobbly windows (compris) and the screen savers.

Calash
March 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Both for Apps and for Games

For the apps I have a VirtualBox setup that I use. The main one I need is IE for my work VPN. I am trying to get Active Sync to work in VB, but the USB is a pain at times.

For my games I keep a XP partition stripped down so they run as fast as possible.

xpod
March 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM
It`s practically two years to the day now since i first sat down at that very first pc of ours(late starter) and of course it will be two years ago in July since i discovered this thing called Ubuntu.

Never really used Windows since then but i do often spend just as much time helping out with other peoples Windows machines as what i seem to on the numerous Linux powered ones we have at home.:???:
For that reason,as well as the fact that our kids all use Windows at School we have always kept Windows(xp) around,somewhere,on one of the old pc`s:)

None of us really use the thing at home and the kids all have their various Playstations,DS`s and Wii`s etc so the gaming thing has never been an issue,not as far as the PC`s are concerned anyway.

linux phreak
March 11th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I have windows XP but usually boots to xubuntu.I dont know but having xp around makes me more comfortable.I mean that is the environment i am more familiar with.

rabi.fettig
March 11th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I keep Windows around so I can watch movies online through Netflix. I have to admit, lately it hasn't seemed worth restarting the computer and waiting for Windows to finish booting up, checking for viruses, and doing whatever it does that makes it frantically read and write to the hard drive for a half hour.

Bungo Pony
March 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
The only thing I need Windows for (now) is pulling video off my VHS tapes with my TV Tuner card. This area isn't quite matured in Linux yet. Other than that, I use Linux for everything else.

Nighthawk71
March 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
At work, I use vmware player running under Kubuntu 7.10 to host ******* sessions.

I need the ******* sessions to test Cobol and Delphi programming that I am doing.

At home, though I have both a kubuntu and a ******* machine hooked up to a kvm. I only use the ******* machine at home to play games--mainly guild wars.

fatality_uk
March 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I have no need for Windows desktop environments. I do not use them nor do I intend to install them again. When I need to log into our companies E.R.P. system, I use rDesktop with seamlessrdpshell. I don't have to leave my Linux environment for anything!

uberlube
March 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I have been Windows free for months now. :)

BigSilly
March 11th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Yup, same here. And much happier for it!

rudihawk
March 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I need it to do my school programming...

phenest
March 11th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I need windows around to let in light and fresh air.

(Sorry. I couldn't resist.)

lswest
March 11th, 2008, 07:02 PM
i need to keep a Windows around, either in a VM or in a dual-boot system, since i work in the publications group at my school, where they require me to use InDesign CS3, Photoshop CS3, and Illustrator CS3, which don't run well in WINE and are rather heavy on the ram-side, so it's best dual-booting for me. However, i use Ubuntu for everything else (yes, that INCLUDES gaming :P got CS:S working great in Wine)

markjensen
March 11th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I kept Windows around as a dual-boot for a while as a crutch. It was a backup in case I could not do something (or, more accurately, did not know a native *nix way) while booted in Linux.

I found myself bouncing between the two for about a year, maybe 70-80% of my time in Linux, and 20-30% in Windows. During this time I decided that I much preferred using Linux over Windows, and keeping Windows was actually hindering my ability to learn Linux.

It's been five years since I removed Windows completely from my computer, and I haven't regretted it one bit. :)

Tristam Green
March 11th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I have been Vista-free since last Thursday.

However, I leave XP on my desktop for gaming only, effectively.

intense.ego
March 11th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I keep windows (2000 would you believe it) on my hard drive just in case. The reason I have windows 2000 is that it was the only installation disk I could find before I decided to use ubuntu.

patrickaupperle
March 11th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I need windows around to let in light and fresh air.

(Sorry. I couldn't resist.)

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:Wow comments like that usually don't make me laugh, but I really didn't expect it.

Oh, and I don't need light.

Glugglug
March 11th, 2008, 11:54 PM
My nephew has itunes installed on it and my niece has MSN .
I myself kept windows for Google earth but that doesn't apply now since I got a graphics card .

ODF
March 12th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Real install of vista for games.

Win XP in virtualbox because kopete, pidgin, amsn, etc ... are crap. I want MSN photoshop and the real office 2007.

Hopefully I live in Canada and the GRC gave up against all the pirate thing.

macogw
March 12th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I don't. My dad has it on his computer, so once every few months I try to tune it up. I know one Linux/Mac user who doesn't know how to use Windows but keeps a Windows laptop around just so he can try to find more exploits in it.

matherians2
March 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I need it for my Sony CamCorder software.

derekr44
March 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I only use it for company VPN. Even then, I only use it in VirtualBox, so the partition is non-existent.

Iam138
March 13th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I keep Windows only b/c the Linux community refuses to port or develop any software that supports the overclocking community. Once the Linux 1337 realizes that running a distro on their 10 year old hardware does not make you superior and starts recognizing the hardware is progressing faster than you dev. is the day I'll wipe Windows from my HDD.

markjensen
March 13th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I keep Windows only b/c the Linux community refuses to port or develop any software that supports the overclocking community. Once the Linux 1337 realizes that running a distro on their 10 year old hardware does not make you superior and starts recognizing the hardware is progressing faster than you dev. is the day I'll wipe Windows from my HDD.What? Are you seriously claiming that you cannot "overclock" in Linux?

Iam138
March 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM
What? Are you seriously claiming that you cannot "overclock" in Linux?

Apparently you have no understanding of the overclocking community or the software needed to validate and benchmark. Anyone with a motherboard with the appropriate BIOS that allows for the needed adjustments can overclock regardless of the OS. Please think before you post, thanks.

munkyeetr
March 16th, 2008, 12:14 PM
OTHER: To help give MS specific tech support. I run several versions of Windows in virtual machines and fire them up when I need them.

Otherwise I am Linux 24/7. :guitar:

Chilli Bob
March 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM
After being 100% Linux on my home PCs for a year, I have just installed Win 2000. I need to scan some 35mm slides on a borrowed Canon scanner than doesn't work with Linux.

As a side benefit, I can now run Starcraft without the slight stutter I get with Wine.

Belliinator
March 16th, 2008, 12:45 PM
The has recent been ports of starcraft.

Only keep windows on my machine to play computer games with my cousin, coz he only uses XP

(and I cant be bothered figuring out why my wireless wont work.)

If it wasnt for that, ID be 100% linux

MONODA
March 16th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I have no need for Windows, except for the occasional video editing...I have yet to find a decent video editor for Linux. Other than that, I am 99% Linux.
have you tried kdenlive? it's pretty decent

markjensen
March 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Apparently you have no understanding of the overclocking community or the software needed to validate and benchmark. Anyone with a motherboard with the appropriate BIOS that allows for the needed adjustments can overclock regardless of the OS. Please think before you post, thanks.
I yield to your expertise.

diablo75
March 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM
These days, I've been keeping it around for testing purposes and off the cuff lab work using VMware. I used to use it for Dreamweaver, but installing that on Wine only takes a couple clicks these days, thanks to Wine-Doors (or perhaps Play on Linux).

Bruce M.
March 16th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I voted: Other

If not firing it up; is Windows free - me too.

I keep windows (2000 would you believe it) on my hard drive just in case. The reason I have windows 2000 is that it was the only installation disk I could find before I decided to use ubuntu.

That's what I have: W2K ... bare bones except for a firewall, an anti-virus program and some program that added 2000+ Restricted Sites into MSIE's Restricted Sites list, all freeware.

Why!
My ISP does not support Linux and my wife said: Keep it!.
Never argue with "my" wife, you'll loose.

As a side note: I haven't needed ISP support since installing Ubuntu.

So there it sits, lonely and unused occupying 10G of space and doing nothing. If I ever fired it up I'd have a few hours of updating the virus definitions and probably a newer version of the firewall too.

crisnoh
March 16th, 2008, 08:10 PM
The only things I use my wife Windows box for anymore are for syncing my iPod and occasionally for my Windows Mobile phone. Bought an iPod Classic a while back and spent a week trying to get it working with Ubuntu, to no avail.

Chame_Wizard
March 16th, 2008, 08:16 PM
ONLY for games

xuCGC002
March 16th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I mainly keep it for games and the fact that my laptop's Graphics card SUCKS. But I'm formatting it and putting ubuntu on it sometime.

wordchisler
March 17th, 2008, 10:00 PM
On My PC, Dualbooting just in case... and until I find/successfully setup Alternatives or Workarounds (Wine):
1) Outlook + Agendus with ActiveSync + WM Dash
2) NeatReceipts scanner software
3) Legal codecs (until I can afford fluendo licenses & find DVD licenses) & WinXP Media Center
4) Personal Health Desk

My main harddrive just failed (of course, it was the other one I backed up), so the needed software list just shrunk drastically. :(
If I no longer have TreeDBNotes files, I may as well start fresh with basket notes...

On Secondary PC:
1) Family Safety from Windows Live (free)
Until I find an easy equivalent solution for Ubuntu, this PC will be only Windows...
2) Windows Games and family programs like Quicken, TaxCut, etc.

Freddy
March 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I mostly keep it around for games but I don't play that much. It can't hurt to lern the quirks of Vista either, it's the worlds primary desktop OS for years to come.

markjensen
March 17th, 2008, 10:18 PM
3) Legal codecs (until I can afford fluendo licenses & find DVD licenses)
...Legal mp3? Already legal for personal use. Legal deCSS? Proven legal in MPAA vs DVD Jon (even through several appeals). Your country's laws may color these a little, but if you have software that legally licenses your computer to play DVDs (for example) then you have already got the license. Using it in Linux may not be explicitly declared in the license, but I am guessing any halfway decent lawyer can argue the "fair use" point. That is legal enough for me.

wordchisler
March 20th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Legal mp3? Already legal for personal use. Legal deCSS? Proven legal in MPAA vs DVD Jon (even through several appeals). Your country's laws may color these a little, but if you have software that legally licenses your computer to play DVDs (for example) then you have already got the license. Using it in Linux may not be explicitly declared in the license, but I am guessing any halfway decent lawyer can argue the "fair use" point. That is legal enough for me.

Thank you for your reply. At first I thought it would be legal since I am using it on the same computer, which dualboots with licensed software. Then I read a post where someone declared that wasn't legal. Today I found a site explaining restricted applies to modification, businesses, distribution. Fluendo purpose statement specifically mentions need for licensed business use. This fits with my memory of similar EULAS. I wish the "restricted" notices could be a little clearer for newbies. I much appreciate your helping clarify this for me.

Back on topic, I found VirtualBox and am considering trying it for my 2-3 Win apps. Moving a little closer to not having to keep Windows around... :)

chips24
March 20th, 2008, 03:35 AM
its my back up system, im using it right now because ubuntu gave me a black screen with a blinking curser.
its going to be a while till i get it back because i need an ethernet cable to install my wireless card :(

ksennin
March 20th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I must keep it for using my STAADPro civil engineering structural design software.

Also, Ive found DVDFab to be more flexible and easy to use than DVD95 or k9copy.

And my wife cannot be bothered to even learn to use spreadsheet cells to add, so having her use a different system is nigh impossible...

graabein
March 20th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I keep Windows XP around until Wine runs City Of Heroes 100% bug free. It's close now... I'm hoping the 1.0 version gets rid of the worst ones...

I'm also not pleased with tv-out on my Nvidia GeForce 6600GT card. I have to log out and in again to watch movies on the television set and putting another X screen next to the monitor (screen0) always seem to mess up panels, desktop icons, awn, the lot, argh!! When will we get a really good xorg.conf GUI?

One that shows all the possible parameters and settings and hinders users from screwing up the config-file.

Scarabomb
March 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Give it sometime. I think I will be full Linux in no time.

I use Ubunutu almost exclusively on my new laptop but have the Vista partition on it for storing any Windows based files and just have XP on my other.

raymac46
March 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM
1. My income tax software is Windows based. I suppose I could go Web based if really needed.
2. I like ACDSee photo management and I haven't tried to get it running under WINE.
3. There is no Linux password manager that can compare to Roboform.
4. I have one decent XP setup that I dual boot with Mandriva. If I don't feel like using Windows I don't have to.
5. I have 4 other machines that are Linux only.