PDA

View Full Version : Cowon mediaplayers/mp3-players

nettles
March 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Hey guys,

My Creative Zen, which has been driving me nuts, broke about an hour ago, so as soon as I convince the evil company to give me my money back I'll buy something new - I've been thinking of Cowon. I've read some good comments about them here on the forum. Anybody know if they work well with Linux (preferably drag-and-drop-style)? I'm extra interested in the A2/A3 models.

Arkenzor
March 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Only advice I can give you is: buy one that can run rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/). In addition to its many features and supported formats, and the fact that it's open-source, it also guarantees you'll be able to transfer music to and from your player by using it as a normal USB mass storage device, without the need for some fancy media player integration.

However it has trouble staying up to date with new models these days. I personally don't find this too much of a problem; it means I can buy a semi-old second-hand player and get more out of it than a band new model.

mozetti
March 10th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Second the rockbox recommendation: www.rockbox.org

I've been running it on my iRiver H340 for a couple of years and it's great.

macogw
March 10th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I have a Cowon iAudio 7. It and the D2 can both transfer files drag n drop style and list Linux compatibility on their spec sheets. Cowon is very good for Linux compatibility. They even play ogg. I'd rather buy something that is made to support Linux and open formats than pay a company which doesn't support Linux and open formats and let them keep thinking it's ok to ignore us.

OffHand
March 10th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I got a U2. Great MP3 player. D&D style :guitar:

plb
March 10th, 2008, 02:13 PM
d2 is a great player and supports drag and drop.

AndyCooll
March 10th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I have a Cowon iAudio 7. It and the D2 can both transfer files drag n drop style and list Linux compatibility on their spec sheets. Cowon is very good for Linux compatibility. They even play ogg. I'd rather buy something that is made to support Linux and open formats than pay a company which doesn't support Linux and open formats and let them keep thinking it's ok to ignore us.
I've got one of these too. As mentioned, it's drag and drop, supports ogg and flac files, music quality is good, and it's small and nifty. I've been very happy with it.

:cool:

matthew
March 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I have the Cowon iAudio M5 and I can't recommend it highly enough. It has excellent Linux compatibility, great features, and works well.