PDA

View Full Version : Australian Members: Please let me know which mobile service provider I should choose?

legolas_w
March 9th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Hi
Thank you for reading my post.
I am moving to Australia and I do not know which mobile phone service provider I should choose, and what is each provider point of strength.
I find a list of these providers but I can not decide which one is better in term of price and coverage are,
http://www.mobilephonesecrets.com.au/australian-mobile-phone-service-providers.html

I am planning to stay in Sydney.

Thanks

Solicitous
March 10th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I'd pick Telstra purely from the perspective of it is government owned and as far as I know the best coverage Australia wide (well I'm in Tassie so there isn't really much else to choose from).
As far as pricing goes.. (as far as prepaid mobile service goes) there isn't alot of difference.

bikeboy
March 10th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Telstra Gov't owned? Much of it was sold over the last decade? They are an anti-competitive law unto themselves and are best avoided where possible, particularly as an ISP.

In Sydney the coverage should be fine with any provider, except perhaps '3'. Head over to Whirlpool (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au) and browse the Telecomms section, you should find plenty of adivce about mobile carriers and plans.

Moustacha
March 10th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I would reccomend 3. Coverage is all the same as telstra's GSM as well as their own "3 Broadband" areas, so in any capital city you'll be fine. I'm on pre-paid with 3. Recharge $30 you get 150 free SMS to any network, 150 minutes free 3 to 3 (both have to be connected to 3 broadband). Recharge $50 get double the credit, so $100, 300 SMS and 300 minutes.

http://www.three.com.au

Mattaus
March 10th, 2008, 01:55 AM
That list of mobile service providers misses the three biggest players - Telstra, Optus and '3'.

My personal pick is '3' mobile. Your going to stay in the capital city so you'll be fien as far as coverage goes. Infact when I do travel far from civilisation my phone just roams and picks up the telstra network anyway.

But the big ticket for '3' is price. Seriously Telstra and Optus charge through the teetha dn the only reason there still in business is because the big corporations rely ont he fact they own most of the network. '3' have prices that can't be beaten. My mobile is on a cap plan and for a similar deal with telstra you pay enarly double...and still dont get the free calls to other '3' mobiles.

So, um, yeah: long story short, '3' mobile is the way to go! (for caps, pre-paid OR plans)

Mind you also depends on the phone you'd like as '3' dont do Blackberry last I checked.

Forrest Gumpp
March 10th, 2008, 02:32 AM
It might be a good idea to just rent a mobile phone for a short period when you arrive.

Then check the actual coverage and any other pros and cons with actual users in or near the same situation as yourself.

I assume by 'mobile service provider' you meant mobile phone service. Should you do most of your calls via your laptop, you could look into Unwired, a wireless ISP. That way if you use Skype or such like you are completely outside of the wired or cable scene, and the horrendous charges for mobile phone communication that go with it..

barbedsaber
March 10th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I would go with either virgin or vodaphone, although telstra is the only one with tv that I know of. I am with optus prepaid atm, but I will change when my credit expirers.

legolas_w
March 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Thank you all for your reply.
It looks like that Telstra and Three are two major providers.
I should study them carefully, does other providers has functionalities like "WhereIs" feature that Telstra provides for finding way and business?

Another question if you dont mind, I have advices to go to Hornsby for living, what kind of district it is?

What are other good district in Sydney?

Thanks again

Forrest Gumpp
March 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
There is nothing wrong with Hornsby as a locality for residence.

It all depends upon where you may be working, and how you see yourself getting to work. (ie. by train, or by car) Commute times tend to become fairly long in and near major Australian cities. If you intend to walk or cycle to work, then your work had better be in Hornsby or an adjoining suburb.

If you expect to be working in the Sydney CBD and commuting by rail, Hornsby may not be a bad choice. Nice area, but not necessarily too expensive because it is not an inner suburb.

Really need more of an idea of where and/or what your employment is likely to be before being able to advise further.

If you are a teleworker, Hornsby could be a very good choice.

legolas_w
March 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Thank you for reply.
I found that Telstra has a destination finding and locating system based on Mobile network and it is somehow integrated with google map.
as far as i can say, it can help with finding local business, finding route to any destination,.....
Does other providers has similar things?

Thanks

legolas_w
March 11th, 2008, 10:07 AM
There is nothing wrong with Hornsby as a locality for residence.

It all depends upon where you may be working, and how you see yourself getting to work. (ie. by train, or by car) Commute times tend to become fairly long in and near major Australian cities. If you intend to walk or cycle to work, then your work had better be in Hornsby or an adjoining suburb.

If you expect to be working in the Sydney CBD and commuting by rail, Hornsby may not be a bad choice. Nice area, but not necessarily too expensive because it is not an inner suburb.

Really need more of an idea of where and/or what your employment is likely to be before being able to advise further.

If you are a teleworker, Hornsby could be a very good choice.

Thank you for giving me the details,
I found that it will take about 45 minutes to go to CDB from Hornsby by train,
But I can not find details about the Trans, Are they crowded and busy?
If not, is it common to work during the time that we sit in the train, sure I man using notebook?

Thanks

Moustacha
March 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM
not sure if 3 has something like sensis (telstra charges you through the rectum for their stuff from what i've heard), but you can pay $5 a month on 3 to be able to browse any website, 10MB download limit though =\

Forrest Gumpp
March 11th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Many of the trains from Hornsby, particularly in the mornings, have Hornsby as their first stop after leaving the sheds at Asquith. Passengers boarding at Hornsby get the first chance at the seats.

Using laptops in trains is not at all uncommon.

Just how crowded trains may be depends upon the time of day you will be traveling. The north shore line is well served with relatively frequent trains. You also have the option in some circumstances of traveling on the inter-urban trains via Epping and Strathfield, terminating at Central at the southern end of the CBD. Similar transit times apply.

Mattaus
March 12th, 2008, 02:20 AM
On your hpone query, go Three mobile. Seriously I've doen the comaprisons myself when selecting my own phones and Telstra are constantly the worst. Also for data rates you can get 2gig through Three for $29 a month....which is heaps for internet browsing on a mobile phone. Of course its your call but im certain you can do every thign with Three mobile you can do with telstra for alot less.

I can't comment on Sydney itself however as I live up in Brisbane :confused:

legolas_w
March 12th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Thank you all for your information.
I will go with Three, Does any one here uses VoIP services?
Three sells a Skype enabled phone, any one use that?