PDA

View Full Version : How to troubleshoot ??? subcategory (suggestion)

grimmson
October 5th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Hello all. I have had several problems over the last three weeks attempting to install and use Linux ubuntu. This is my second distro, my first mandrake 9 I barely used (didn't have time to study a new OS.) I may have an interesting perspective on ubuntu that a lot of you 4 & 5 cups of coffee users don't. I'm a n00b and I can barley make it work. It seems difficult,illogical, confusing etc... (coming from 10 years of windows.) It appears you may have attracted several people like me. The reason I say so is because I've asked a few questions, I get a lot of views and very few responses. I assume this means people are combing the news group looking for answers, and realize my unresolved thread won't help them or doesn't apply to them what so ever. I've also noticed you have 74,000 threads. Wow.
A lot of people ask questions because they search the news group and can't find or understand the answer. I fit into that category. I hate asking stupid questions. If I get a response it probably won't resolve the problem because the question might not shed light on whats really going on.
One way to resolve this may be to start a new subcategory. How to troubleshoot ???. Instead of sharp people looking at the newsgroup, answering poorly asked questions that don't have enough info to find a solution, maybe sharp people should write how to's on problem solving. I can start the list now. I've had problems with xserver, poor/no video playback, writing cd's etc... I'd do searches on these issues and try suggestions with limited success. These are common problems. Several posts on these problems and several bad / totally incorrect questions from lost newbies that don't know what steps to take to properly troubleshoot anything.
If we took the more common problems, had smart people write a through start to finish guide including definitions of used commands, how to separate hardware from software problems, what to check, how to check, etc.. and people could follow the guide several trivial questions wouldn't be asked. If the problem remained, a small form could be used to gather info relevant to the problem. Whats the kernel number? Does update manager say your system is up to date? What hardware do you have? Type "gedit /var/log/Xorg.0.log" and post anything with (EE). If I had a guide I could follow it. If I had a form to answer I could give you guys better questions when a guide didn't work. Right now I just ask some bad questions. Lastly only people with 4 or 5 cups can write how to's and submit them for approval to be posted. I think if we have a tight, organised list of how to's not flooded with questions from people like me it might work better.

If you think this is a good idea and your connected, let someone with five cups know. \\\\:D/

grimmson
October 5th, 2005, 03:58 AM
p.s. How do you get tabs in posts? When I post a volume I want it to be properly indented.

SilentCacophony
October 5th, 2005, 02:44 PM
p.s. How do you get tabs in posts? When I post a volume I want it to be properly indented.

Actually, if you chose to 'Preview Post' before submitting it, that may have unformatted your paragraphs. They updated the forum software recently, and this may be a bug to be worked out. I've already posted a thread on that issue.

grimmson
October 5th, 2005, 08:09 PM
A good example. How to troubleshoot repositories. Right now I may have a repository problem. I found 4 good posts that may be up to date and followed one threads instructions. Then I "sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.8-plugins" and gstreamer wouldn't install? I'm dead it tne water. I read the unofficial guide, I read the newsgroups, I folowed a thread and it failed. It looks like a lot of people are in my spot because 13 people have viewed my thread and no one has replied. If the top sticky said "how to troubleshoot repositories" and in that sticky someone posted there up to date log, and said "If you don't know what your doing gedit log, copy this and paste for default repositories. Then try it. If that doesn't work post a question." The sticky could go into more detail but right now thats good. Then in two months when things change and people ask for help(like me), a three cup of coffee guy will see the "how to troubleshoot repositories" is out of date and alert someone to update it. Less unnecessary posts, fewer lost n00b's, more intelligent questions, less bandwidth wasted and more efficient. Right now i'm still dead in the water. If you want to look at a good example of this see thread http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=72149 It's mine

grimmson
October 27th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Can I get an Amen? (Bump)