PDA

View Full Version : dell ubuntu computers

mikeymouse
March 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Does anyone know if the Dell Ubuntu desktop and laptop computers are any good?
Is it better to buy a computer with Xp or Vista and install Ubuntu or build one specially for Ubuntu?
Your input will be appreciated
thanks mikeymouse

OrangeCrate
March 9th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Dells are fine. The components are pretty much the same inside all computers, it just says Dell on the box rather than HP, etc.

There is a support forum here that might be worth looking into, as there are several threads about how people like/dislike their Dell computers.

I bought one of the Ubuntu boxes just to support the program, but did a fresh install as soon as I got it. If I hadn't done that, I would have shopped the specs I wanted, and gone with price only, not particularly caring about the brand. If the box has Windows on it, you can either dual boot it, or do a fresh Linux install, and wipe it out.

It's all up to you...

prshah
March 9th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Does anyone know if the Dell Ubuntu desktop and laptop computers are any good?
Is it better to buy a computer with Xp or Vista and install Ubuntu or build one specially for Ubuntu?
Your input will be appreciated
thanks mikeymouse

If you are comfortable with it, make your own system; you will get the best combination of choice, price and LAAARGE warranties (3 years on processors and motherboards, 5 years on hard drives, etc).

Otherwise any system is fine, though an Ubuntu Dell should come with all the components confirmed working/supported.

Unless you have a particular reason for it, don't install Windws. Adds an additional layer of work which is pointless...

Cheers,
PRShah

jcconnor
March 9th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I bought one for my son so he could take it to college and it works great. A little early trouble with suspend/resume but nothing these boards didn't help fix. Worth the money to know that, at a component level, it just works.

John