PDA

View Full Version : Could I have a bash script open multiple files when I click on one?

Gen2ly
March 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Hello all.

I just learned about feh, and I think it's a great image viewer. I am hoping to be able to incorporate feh into my desktop. Feh does have the ability to browse through images. If I select feh as my default viewer in Gnome, click on the image, it opens images be in a single viewmode - I am unable to browse to images in the same directory.. So I wrote a bash script,

#!/bin/bash
feh *.png

pointed Gnome to it, to noavail. I know this is pretty basic but I don't have a clue on what I need to have this work. Can anyone think of a way I can browse with feh?

Acglaphotis
March 9th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Quick solution in python:

import os

files = os.listdir("path here")
for x in files:
os.system("feh " + x)

I think thats what you want it to do? Open multiple instances of feh with all the images in a specific directory?

Gen2ly
March 9th, 2008, 10:35 PM
No, actually this would be just one instance. Feh allows browsing by right and left arrows if multiple images are opened:

feh desktop#1.png desktop#2.png
feh *.png

If only one image is picked then browsing is not available. So I'm looking for a script that feh will be aware of other image files in the directory when double-clicking on say desktop#1.png.

Acglaphotis
March 9th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I got into a bit of an issue when trying to solve this. When you call a program from nautilus it doesn't give you back its full path which i was going to use to scan for more images. Any ideas?

mssever
March 9th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Here's an untested workup in Ruby:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

files = Dir.entries(File.split(ARGV[0])[0])
`feh #{files[2..-1].join ' '}`

Gen2ly
March 10th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Ah awesome! I'm looking for to trying this when I get a chance later tonight.

Acglaphotis
March 10th, 2008, 03:29 AM
The ruby one doesn't work for me : \

mssever
March 10th, 2008, 05:04 AM
It appears that Nautilus passes the interesting information via environment variables, not commant line arguments. Here's a test script that displays the environment and arguments given to it:
#!/bin/bash

zenity --info --title=Environment --text="$(env)"
zenity --info --title="Command Line Arguments" --text="$*"This code works for me:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

# Get the currently-selected files as an array
files = ENV['NAUTILUS_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS'].to_s.chomp.split "\n"

if files.length >= 1
# One or more files must be selected
`feh #{files.join ' '}`
else
# no files are selected
`feh #{ENV['NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_CURRENT_URI'].gsub(/^[^:]+:\/\/(.*)/, '\1')}`
endThis will call feh with the selected files. If no files are selected, it will call feh with the selected directory.

Gen2ly
March 10th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Appreciate the coding guys - cool stuff. I just put ruby on my pc, so I hope I did it right. :) I chmodded the script, and put it in /usr/bin and in the "Open With" dialog choose it. I double click it and got a spike in the cpu but thats all. I ran the script from the command line and got this but I probably not helpful:

./usr/bin/feh-browser:4: private method `chomp' called for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)

mssever
March 10th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I ran the script from the command line and got this but I probably not helpful
Actually, you did just the right thing. Running from the command line lets you see errors, and posting errors allows people to debug them. (Command line note: Because Nautilus sets environment variables, you'll need to manually set them in order to test the script from the command line.

I edited my post above to fix precisely that error. Probably you missed my edit. (By the way, you can write this in any language. I used Ruby because it's my personal favorite.

One other thing: Nautilus scripts belong in ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts, not /usr/bin.

ghostdog74
March 10th, 2008, 06:52 AM
how about checking out the feh documentation and see if there are any options that enable you to view many files? -r option perhaps?

feh -r /dir_of_photos

mssever
March 10th, 2008, 07:12 AM
how about checking out the feh documentation and see if there are any options that enable you to view many files? -r option perhaps?

feh -r /dir_of_photos

If you give feh a directory on the command line, then feh recursively cycles through all images by default.

ghostdog74
March 10th, 2008, 07:21 AM
If you give feh a directory on the command line, then feh recursively cycles through all images by default.

yes, i know... its just that if this can be done, then maybe OP can try experimenting with the various options. sometimes, it makes things easier...furthermore, one way , if not the best way, is OP could have just copy all .png files into one directory and view all *.png from there .. using that syntax..

Gen2ly
March 10th, 2008, 10:08 AM
know, this is pretty clever. I have been going with the approach of creating a small program that would redirect gnome to select the directory rather than the file - possilby not possible. A nautilus scriptthough, works good. Alot people I talk to really like programming with rails saying it's one of the more visceral languages out there.

Appreciate the help msserver, this will make using my desktop alot better!

:guitar:

mssever
March 10th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Alot people I talk to really like programming with rails saying it's one of the more visceral languages out there.
Note that the code I wrote is pure Ruby, not Rails. I've actually never successfully used Rails, but I like Ruby.