PDA

View Full Version : Weird idea: Using one big spotlight and mirrors for lighting entire room?

alvevind
March 9th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Just got this weird idea, and want to hear peoples reactions (or experiences).

Say you have a room and want to add lighting to it. Would it be feasible to use one single powerful spotlight, and distribute the light from that throughout the room using normal mirrors (and reflectors)? I guess it is technically possible, but could it be made to look good and not just geeky?

Note that I am talking multi reflection here, where some of the light bounce on 2 or even 3 mirrors before reaching the target. The mirrors would be mounted on the ceiling or high on the wall.

Anyone seen something like this in actual use, or adverticed somewhere?

I don't have any mirrors laying around so I can't try it out myself just now. I guess the reflectivity of the mirrors would have to be very good in order to bounce the light many steps.

If the concept would be fasible, in practice it would perhaps be more interesting to use 2-3 spots pr room, with different color tones.

What you think?

:popcorn:

Nevon
March 9th, 2008, 07:01 PM
It would definitely work, but I don't think it would provide a very nice environment for people to be in. You could get the same effect by having white walls - just the same, but without the same concentration of the light.

alvevind
March 9th, 2008, 07:23 PM
That is precisely what I am worried about - that it could not be made to look comfortable. But I am not completely conviced either way yet.

You could choose a wery warm colored spotlight, that would be coozier than a pure white one.

You mount it on the ceiling in the middle of the room pointing upwards into an array of say 4 big "first jump" reflectors, that point towards each corner of the ceiling.

This whole setup could be covered so it was not visible from below, only showing strips of light flowing towards the corners.

Then in each corner you place a second jump reflector or mirror or prism that either points towards a target (reading chair, a painting, a plant, whatever), or towards another mirror/reflector/prism. The second jump in the corner could also be covered so as not to be visible apart from the light spilling over.

Any step could in theory incorporate coloration, spreader or collector lens, rainbow prism, pattern, etc.

If several jumps are intended, the reflectors would need to be very narrowly focused.

More comments?

Nevon
March 9th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Well, I still would recommend using dim mirrors/white walls in order to avoid sharp lighting. But you're welcome to prove me wrong. It would be very cool to have one/a few lamps lighting a whole apartment.

Depressed Man
March 9th, 2008, 07:54 PM
The only problem I could think of is..when people are in the room that would block alot of the mirrors if not setup properly.

alvevind
March 9th, 2008, 10:18 PM
The light paths would basically follow either the ceiling or the walls and only "break out" when going for their final target, unless you would aim for some special effect. So I don't think it should be a problem with people moving around.