PDA

View Full Version : So I told my sister not to buy Vista....

sanderella
March 9th, 2008, 03:55 PM
When her old box burned up (the fan failed), I told her to buy a new box from Tesco's pre-loaded with Linux at only # £189.93 + 189 Clubcard points!!!!

What did she do? Went to PC World and bought a box with Vista aarrgghh](*,) Now she is on the phone asking me how to make it work. I can hardly believe this.

There's only one thing I can do - just keep saying "I told you so!"

Vadi
March 9th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I'd tell her "I told you so" + tell her that because I told her so, I'm not going to make up for her decision. And that if she gets ubuntu then I'll help.

I did it with a bunch of people now also. I really don't feel like wasting my time because of their dumb decisions / purchasing naiveness.

Warprunner
When her old box burned up (the fan failed), I told her to buy a new box from Tesco's pre-loaded with Linux at only # £189.93 + 189 Clubcard points!!!!

What did she do? Went to PC World and bought a box with Vista aarrgghh](*,) Now she is on the phone asking me how to make it work. I can hardly believe this.

Actually you might have a perfect opportunity!! If the old box isn't bad except for the fan...replace the fan. Then put Linux on it. Not only that though, all the programs she used in Windows...use the Linux counterparts! Hahahhha The speed and ease of use will dazzel her!!!

NightwishFan
Keep saying it. My friend asks me how to do simple game installs in Vista I am like o_o what is this arcane "Windows" that you speak of.

n3tfury
March 9th, 2008, 04:05 PM

linux is not for everyone. i would have pointed her to XP.

sanderella
March 9th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks for your suggestions guys. She only has the hard drive left from her old box, now if I can do something Ubuntu-wise with that....and then...teehee:popcorn:

Vadi
March 9th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Of course not. But she hasn't tried it yet as you see.

aysiu
March 9th, 2008, 05:44 PM
When I read the subject title of this thread, my knee jerk reaction was "Just let her use whatever she wants to use!"

Now that she's bought it and doesn't know how to use it without your help, though, I think an "I told you so" is definitely in order.

Northsider
March 10th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I agree. I don't push it on anyone, but if anyone asks I whole-hearedly recommend Ubuntu Linux. If Vista ever comes up though I just can't sit idly by, I at least recommend a downgrade, Mac, or Linux.

futureproof
March 10th, 2008, 05:56 AM
I wouldn't gloat at someone because they didn't take my advice.

If I was recommending ubuntu to someone I would give them a demo of what they would be getting and explain to them the reasons for my advice.

Midwest-Linux
March 10th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Give her a live CD of Linux Mint 4.0, she can run it off the disc. Its a great way to get started without installing anything. I also recommend smaller distros such as Puppy Linux or Linux DSL. Those distros will certainly fly on that computer. Start somewhere.

Zlatan
March 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM

why, for god's sake, would you? what's the argument for pointing someone to XP?

linuxisfree
March 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM

I'd actually have to agree with you there, but only since she seems so adamant on using Windows... (it IS better than Vista, IMO)

sanderella (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=113284): I wouldn't gloat. It's probably not going to help you convince here to switch to linux. All you gotta do is SHOW HER WHAT MAKES LINUX LOADS BETTER THAN WINDOWS!!!

Maybe then, she'll SEE THE LIGHT!

pbpersson
March 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I am totally and completely in the dark concerning Vista, but Microsoft's web site says it is so high tech it almost runs itself. How could anyone possibly have any questions about an OS which is supposed to be so advanced??? ;)

This is great - if anyone asks me anything about Vista, I can say:

I don't know, I have never seen it and I have never used it

I use Linux because.....it just works :)

sanderella
March 10th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Give her a live CD of Linux Mint 4.0, she can run it off the disc. Its a great way to get started without installing anything. I also recommend smaller distros such as Puppy Linux or Linux DSL. Those distros will certainly fly on that computer. Start somewhere.

Thanks, will do.:KS

3rdalbum
March 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I told my friend to save herself some money and buy the EEEpc with Linux for her son, rather than a "runs-like-a-dog" el-cheapo notebook with Vista. Unfortunately, the nice lady at Cellnet (distributor for the Eee) told her to wait for the XP version as "he'll find it easier to use".

I've already made it clear that I no longer provide technical support for Windows for anyone - it's a case of the blind leading the blind. The kid broke my friend's laptop's keyboard, so I simply cannot wait until he screws up the XP with viruses and bloat. That will be a huge case of "I told you so".

LaRoza
March 10th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I once told someone (a relative, like yours) not to use Norton AV. I specifically told this person it would slow the computer to a halt, and make it unusable. I then recommended an alternative free version (don't remember which...)

This person came to me saying the computer was slow, and it may be a virus or something.

I go to the computer (XP) and check out the goings on. I see in the programs and features applet (in control panel) that Norton is installed!

I give a "what did I tell you?" speech then tried to help with the installation (Norton doesn't like to be uninstalled)

After that was done, the computer was perfectly running. Norton was thought to be a virus....

The point is, first they ignore you, then they plea for you, then they listen. (Adapted for my purposes...)

So I think you should tell your sister about the alternatives and the pros and cons of them. Your sister will listen.

karth
March 10th, 2008, 02:27 PM
The point is, first they ignore you, then they plea for you, then they listen. (Adapted for my purposes...)

So I think you should tell your sister about the alternatives and the pros and cons of them. Your sister will listen.
That is true. I happen to be the "tech savvy" in my own family, and this is exactly how it goes. Patience and dedication are required if you want to make them (really) learn something in this regard.

Also, if a sister calls her brother asking for advice, it doesn't mean it's because the system is unusable and that Ubuntu is the only way of redemption, it's often because she's too lazy to try to make Vista work by herself...

sayakb
March 10th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Didn't get the opportunity to discourage people from installing Vista, since everyone at my college seems to hate it. Those who had Vista pre-loaded on their laptops got it replaced by XP/Ubuntu. No hard work done yet..

kamaboko
March 10th, 2008, 02:35 PM
For the sake of brining some balance to this thread, am I to assume that first time linux users don't need help? Looks like a lot of people on here, including me, have been to the "beginning user" area many many times. I just got my dad on Linux, and to be perfectly honest, he asks me more support questions than he ever did with Vista.

LaRoza
March 10th, 2008, 02:38 PM
For the sake of brining some balance to this thread, am I to assume that first time linux users don't need help? Looks like a lot of people on here, including me, have been to the "beginning user" area many many times. I just got my dad on Linux, and to be perfectly honest, he asks me more support questions than he ever did with Vista.

Vista has some design issues.

Vista is a Windows OS, unfortunately, it reminds people of ME more.

I have Vista at home, and I am very good at using it and managing it.

If I were to use Windows, I would use Vista over XP, but that is only because I have taken the time to learn Vista. My setup looks nothing like its defaults, and behave differently as well.

I would rather teach a new OS, than try to teach a broken one :)

sayakb
March 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Any version of Windows is, and will be an end user OS. What most you could do is crack softwares, study/edit the registry, though an "end user" might not do that as well. Any sort of network activity can be done in a more efficient way under linux/BSD than Windows (not taking 3rd party apps under consideration). Windows seems to be simpler for beginners/novices either because of the widespread rumor about Linux being more "technical" and the magnitude of popularity of Windows as an OS.

forrestcupp
March 10th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Amen! Just wait until you talk someone out of Vista and instead of calling you a couple of times a week, they call you a couple of times a day. Just wait for the calls to come pouring in asking how to play Crysis, or run Photoshop, or Norton. Why doesn't my wireless drivers CD work?

I love Ubuntu and it's pretty much the only thing I use, but it isn't fool-proof. And contrary to popular belief around here, it is not as simple to use as Vista.

But about the original post, when it comes to relatives, I always just swallow my pride and I end up helping them. It's a lot easier to keep the peace that way. But if you don't know how to use Vista, that's a great scapegoat.

macogw
March 11th, 2008, 02:31 AM

She needed an $8 fan, so you had her get a new $380 computer? That just sounds silly.

speedwell68
March 11th, 2008, 02:37 AM
My Uncle has just upgraded to Vista. I get about 3 phone calls a week, I just keep on repeating 'I don't know, I have never used Vista'. I could support him under XP as I still have an old laptop with it on. I have been using Ubuntu for about 18 months and I can no longer think in Windows.

jinx099
March 11th, 2008, 02:41 AM
So since she didn't follow your advice, you can choose not to support her, right? Do you use Vista at all? I don't and I know I'm not answering any questions about it.

Omnios
March 11th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I got Vista with my lappy as the discount you actually get is stupid like $50 or something. Any ways I like having a version of windows as a back up. I am thinking of boxing the vista that came with the laptop and loading the xp home upgrade I have on my box on it as a back up but dought it will install with the bleeding edge parts on it. Ralf, any ways im having bug issues with the Ubuntu live cds right now but cant wait to get Ubuntu of Kubuntu installed on it. Vistas newness ware out in about a few weeks and it can almost repair itself jsut look out if it cant. I had a hard lock on the ip config and could not connect directly to the modem even with isp support as my old router died. "He stated it should have fixed itself."

Any Ways worst part of it I was thinking 2.2ghz core two duo with centrino tech and 2Gigs of ram would be fast. Sorry Vista's new nick name is chug a lug. Directions for rebooting and shutting down. 1; Hit button, 2: Go for a coffee. And My hardware would be smoking with XP. It is not that bad it is worse. I recomend Linux to anyone and if not that sorry but XP.