PDA

View Full Version : Spring your clocks forward 1 hour, daylight saving time is here for USA!

feisty_hot_lover
March 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM
This caught me off guard and had me chasing my tails this early morning. :oops:

fredfjr
March 9th, 2008, 01:49 PM
An adage I've heard that will help people remember which way to turn their clocks for this: Spring forward, fall back.

klange
March 9th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I utterly despise daylight savings time and feel that with today's technology it no longer serves a purpose.

eljoeb
March 9th, 2008, 04:58 PM
It's nice to see that someone feels so strongly about moving your clocks an hour a whole twice a year.

popch
March 9th, 2008, 05:11 PM
It's nice to see that someone feels so strongly about moving your clocks an hour a whole twice a year.

It is not about hunting down a dozen or so timepieces. It is not even about some of them being antiques which can not be turned back so that I have to stop them and wait for an hour and start them again and adjust them again for no sensible reason.

It is about it being dark again when I leave the house for work and about becoming hungry and sleepy at the wrong time of day for several weeks. That's what threatens to make me cross during meetings when I can least afford to become cross.

Thanks god that I am not a farmer and that I have no small children. They are made aware of those effects much more than I am.

kevdog
March 9th, 2008, 05:51 PM
The concept of the US time change in the fall and spring was never developed with farmers in mind (as opposed to popular notion). Ben Franklin created the concept to originally save on heating oil!

Mr. Picklesworth
March 9th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I utterly despise daylight savings time and feel that with today's technology it no longer serves a purpose.

Thank you, sir!

Although, I must say, I was fairly impressed with how Windows Vista was giving people a warning about it a week in advance. (Just click on the clock and the warning is near the bottom).

Quillz
March 9th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Thank you, sir!

Although, I must say, I was fairly impressed with how Windows Vista was giving people a warning about it a week in advance. (Just click on the clock and the warning is near the bottom).Most operating systems, as far as I know, automatically adjust the clock for you. I use OS X and while I don't get any actual message, I know the clock has already been changed.

[h2o]
March 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Not sure where you live. But where I am (which btw is not in the US) that extra hour gives quite a lot of extra sunlight in the winter.

LaRoza
March 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM
;4483158']Not sure where you live. But where I am (which btw is not in the US) that extra hour gives quite a lot of extra sunlight in the winter.

Where I live, the USA, it makes a difference.

By the way, thanks for reminding me...

(I would be very confused when I went to church later if not for this thread...)

klange
March 9th, 2008, 07:23 PM
;4483158']Not sure where you live. But where I am (which btw is not in the US) that extra hour gives quite a lot of extra sunlight in the winter.

DST is has nothing to do with the winter.

aysiu
March 9th, 2008, 07:35 PM
As a matter of fact, it's always taken away an hour of sunlight in winter for me. The days end sooner because of daylight "saving" time.

feisty_hot_lover
March 9th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Supposedly there have been some studies by scientist saying that the time changes actually have an overall net negative effect. Well at least thats what I recall from the newspapers. They say these studies show more damage than help when it comes to the human body as well as financial cost to businesses. For myself I have not noticed any benefits or negatives.

Polygon
March 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM
not for me. Good ol' arizona doesn't have to deal with this DST nonsense.

popch
March 12th, 2008, 11:02 PM
According to port authorities, daylight saving time will start in Switzerland on the 30th of April this year.

http://www.portofbasel.ch/index.php?sprache=d&subnav=704&navselect=704

ODF
March 13th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Here in Canada it makes a huge difference.

Sunflower1970
March 13th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Some coworkers and I were talking about DST and someone said they heard this is the last year for the change. Either in the fall or next March we will not ever have to switch our clocks again (yay!) I can't find any articles on this, so maybe they just were too sleepy when the report was on Monday morning....If it does change, I don't care which way it stays...standard time or daylight. I just want to not be jarred into this change.

I'm a mess for at least a week or two after the switch both ways. That's about a month out of my year where I have to adjust to the time change. I feel very unproductive during those weeks.

lloyd_b
March 13th, 2008, 04:06 AM
not for me. Good ol' arizona doesn't have to deal with this DST nonsense.

I wish. I'm in AZ, and so is my mother. She has no less than 3 super-high-tech-auto-DST digital clocks, which HAVE NO WAY TO DISABLE THE AUTO-DST FUNCTION.

She doesn't see very well, so I wind up going over and resetting her clocks for her.

To add insult to injury - two of the clocks use the "old" DST definition, while the 3rd uses the "new" definition. So I get to go over to her house FOUR times a year to unscrew these self-screwing clocks...

(I'd yell at her to get rid of them, but the size/color of these clocks is ideal for her limited vision. Oh well).

Lloyd B.

Polygon
March 13th, 2008, 04:36 AM
lol that sucks. My ipod clock (defunct since i no longer have an ipod) has an option for DST +1, -1 or 0, so i just leave it set to zero =P

but on forums its kinda annoying since some forum software doesnt have the option to always leave dst off.

Atomic Dog
March 13th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I'm in AZ and really like never having to think about DST. I have no issues with it.

tubasoldier
March 13th, 2008, 05:26 AM
My new plan is to move to Arizona. I despise daylight savings time.

Atomic Dog
March 13th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Good salaries, cheap houses, great Mexican food, and no daylight savings ...what else could you want?

LaRoza
March 13th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Good salaries, cheap houses, great Mexican food, and no daylight savings ...what else could you want?

Count me in. Where I do sign up? Wait, I have to move?

jrusso2
March 13th, 2008, 07:52 AM
The concept of the US time change in the fall and spring was never developed with farmers in mind (as opposed to popular notion). Ben Franklin created the concept to originally save on heating oil!

I am pretty sure oil was not used for heating during Ben Franklins era. If it was to save heat it would have been wood or coal.

I believe the Franklin Stove used wood.